Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Change the liners or buy new boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I bought my Technica boots from S & R 6 years ago and since then they've done 15 weeks. The boots were aimed at intermediate skiers. Middle of the range.

The boot shell is showing signs of some hard skiing, but everything functions as it should.

The liners, apart from humming a tad, are also now showing signs of compacting. On a trip in Jan, I realised they were beginning to hurt, although not badly. On a march trip, after some tinkering around, I managed to crank them up tighter than usual and, surprise, surprise they seemed fine again.

I ski quite hard/fast and have never had a problem with my feet/legs.

From what I "understand", the liners are probably at the end of their natural life. I could probably do with some boots that more closely reflect my ability. But, I'm loathe to change anything!!

What's the likely further deterioration of the liner going to be (other than smell!)? How will that manifest itself?

Will getting new and more advanced boots make that much of a difference to my skiing?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mark Hunter, I had a similar dilemna......until I tried some stiffer boots and realised that they changed my skiing completely. I now have a new pair of boots, and need to learn how to ski properly!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Elizabeth B, from what I recall, you're a fairly accomplished skier - how did your skiing change completely? I've been told that I'm a decent skier and I regularly get asked by people I ski with if I can give them any tips. Not sure if I want to learn how to ski again!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Personally in your position, I'd start all over again with a more advanced boot. Boots have moved on in the last 6 years, so you'll benefit from both newer technology and a higher level boot. The alternative is something like a ZipFit replacement liner, but they're almost as expensive as new boots anyway.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if the shell is in reasonable condition then a zipfit liner may work as it can be moved to a new shell if the current one wears out, however if the current shell is oversize then i wouldn't waste money on the zipfit as it would mean having another oversized shell to move it to

depending on how much skiing you do each year you may get away with a stock liner in a new boot, or you may want the added performance of an aftermarket liner

the existing liners will get to a point [if they don't fall to bits] where there is no padding at all and you will feel the shell at all the prominences on your feet, [ankle bones, ball of foot etc] the foot can also start to slide back and forth and damage your toe nails
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM, 2 weeks a year and maybe a cheeky weekend. Sorry, a "stock liner" and "aftermarket liner"? Where's the added performance in one over the other?

Until my second week this year, when I clamped my boots up more than I usually would have expected to, the previous outings discomfort may well have been down to feet moving around more than had occured in the past.

Perhaps it is time to bite the bullet and go for a totallynew pair. Current ones cost me £165, so I can't say they haven't provided good value for money.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mark Hunter, sounds like it is time to bite hard down on that bullet

the major difference between liners is the materials, with what you are doing then the stock liner in the boot should be fine [unless you have an unusual foot] an aftermarket liner [zipfit, foam, intuition etc] will offer differing caracteristics be they warmth, or foothold for [performance] in most cases if the shell selection is right then you shouldn't need to add a different liner unless you are really looking for added performance

just make sure you get the correct shell and a good footbed

BTW i would prepare to spend a little more than the £165 you paid last time unless you find a real bargain in the sales
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mark Hunter, one of my bad habits is to have my weight back, essentially using my heels as the pivot rather than the front of my foot. The stiffer boot throws my weight forward, hence putting me in the right position. I'd been told by someone else that the boots would make me go faster......and they do. I can't do anything other than carve racing turns Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks CEM.

Fully prepared to have to spend somewhere in the region of £260-£300. Less would be nice but, from what I've seen, that sounds about right. Never had a problem with my footbeds - have rather flat feet, but wide. Technica boots (at the time) were recommended and I've not looked back since.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy