Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes

Poster: A snowHead
Well, the town looks pretty and there is snow all the way down, but not enough to ski on without cannons. The conditions on the glacier are great and it's possible to ski down to 2,600m but there are a lot of stones in places. The Toura area is open but also a bit stoney. It isn't possible to ski between 2,600 and 2,200 (except for a few idiots) but the Cretes is open and is grass underneath so it's OK. The Combe Valentin is open to resort thanks to the cannons, and we have snow on the nursery slopes also thanks to the cannons. snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Found 2 turns in 5cms of powder today!!! Laughing Laughing No change in conditions, but the weather looks on the turn. Glacier snow perfect.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No change in the weather or snow conditions. beautifully warm, sunny and clear blue skis - bah!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Come on Charlotte,majic something up.We'll be with you in just over 3wks wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowskisnow, Plenty of time yet. snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Beautiful weather today and the snow on the glacier is as good as it gets - but oohhh.... they have forecast snow for Thurs/Fri and the cloud conditions look hopeful, but I'm almost afraid to say so!
Keep fingers crossed, but at least we're getting good ski-ing on the summer slopes! snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ooooo sounds hopeful - keep us posted easiski - we're flying to LDA for the first time with a crowd on boxing day..... mind you my leg is playing up at the mo.. so I might be asking for advice on bars to sit in!! xx
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jayne durham, Lots of nice ones! In fact I believe we have around 70 bars and restaurants ..... Give me a shout if you see me on the piste or pop over to the website and get my number for an update!

It came over quite cloudy today, and was definitely more wintry. There were nasty looking black clouds to the west and we're all getting a bit excited. The snow on the glacier is still brilliant, but it was chilly up there today. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I woke up this morning to find it had snowed in the night. Very Happy Not much, but it's a start. The last 2 days have been cold and wintry, but that's promising. More snow is forecast for the next few days (and off and on all Xmas hols). The main thing will be to hope the temperature stays down.

Will report more later today after going out. snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks for the updates easiski! we are all very grateful - or at least I am!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well, we had about 5cms of new snow overnight (perhaps 10 on the glacier), and I found some lovely powder, just right for novices to start on. It's snowing hard now and looks set to continue overnight and possibly all day tomorrow. We did ski down from the glacier to 2,600m and it was much improved over last week but still a bit stoney in places. The tuns from 2,600 - 2,200m are still officially closed, but I nearly tried it anyway. Then I thought it would be better to wait until tomorrow when we've had a bit more. At the moment it's probably just enough to hide the rocks.

It was much better today on the glacier as the coaches didn't come over from ADH and Serre Che which they've been doing all week - bah! That meant that you could actually get something to eat in the glacier restaurant for a change. For those of us working with the sensible people who book early holidays in a high resort with a glacier it's really annoying to be inundated with people who booked low or south facing resorts!

Anyway, keep fingers crossed - it should be good tomorrow. snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Glacier closed Saturday 18th after about 6/8 inches of snow and high winds overnight on Friday night. The runs above the village and a moguled black to the village were open and quite good fun, though not extensive they provided some variety after most of the week on the glacier and higher runs. Really needs a big dump of snow with no wind to provide cover over more runs.

AW
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AlpineWalker, Why didn't you contact me?

Anyway, yesterday I skied with Cedric snowhead and we covered some good ground up to 2,800m but it was almost total whiteout up there. Coming down, although the run from 2,600 to the Cretes (Grand Nord) was narrow in places it was skiable without tooooo many stones. The face has been good. Combe Valentin is no longer icy, and the Belle Etoile next to it (probably the run Alpine Walker was talking about) is OK , but there are a lot of rocks under the snow. The Grande Pente (mainly grass underneath) looks good on the lower part but a bit rocky in between the trees, and the snow on the Diable was great - it was officially closed but ............

Cedric may post later. He and his pal went up today and said the snow was great higher up. The nursery slopes are all operational now and all the lower lifts are running. Forecast is for more snow off and on this week - break out the off piste skis!
snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, didn't know i was going to les 2 alpes until just before travel day as I was away on business. 3 of us were punted from Cervinia by the tour operator (Crystal) and ended up there. Still enjoyed the week and would definitely go again. Based on our good week with fairly limited snow cover, now plan to take our whole group (approx 20) in Jan 2006 and hope for full snow cover.

Here's hoping for more snow for you and some good skiing, now I'm off to get the soles of my skis relaced after my week on the stones!

AW
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Two days of lovely sunshine, very cold too. The snow condition is holding really well, and we're hoping for more snow at the weekend. Another 50cms will put us right (although, let's face it we're all always looking for 2m!)

Will post again when anything changes

AlpineWalker, So glad you enjoyed it, and in Jan we normally have plenty of powder and no rocks!
snow report
It started snowing yesterday (Christmas Day) and hasn't stopped yet. snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

It's forecast to snow for most of the week. We've had about 60cms on the lower slopes, so we were ski-ing knee deep powder (and it was REAL powder) on the face all afternoon. It was really great. Most people had dived off home, or weren't braving the elements, so even the mountain restaurants were almost empty. I didn't get higher than 2,200m but there wasn't any need and it looked very foggy.

Break out the fats - it won't be long before we can do La Grave again. In the meantime plenty of excellent off piste here.
Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel snowHead Laughing Laughing snowHead snowHead
latest report
easiski-thats a relief Laughing Mind you,have been watching the site forecasts and they have looked promising.Will PM you in next few days and see you on the 3rd.Can you guess who's glad they listened to you and decided to go to Les deux Alpes? snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
It bucketed down again yesterday afternoon, but unfortunately the wind got up and most of the high areas were closed today (and obviously the powder wasn't any more). However I was told that the lower runs to Bons and Mont de Lans still had excellent powder and no rocks. Lower slope conditions are excellent and we're expecting more of the white stuff around Saturday. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Since the last bit of snow got almost completely blown off the mountain, we've had sunny weather, cold but quite windy. Nearly everything is open, but the Grand Nord (2,600m - 2,200m) is getting very rocky. The higher runs are still in good condition, but the wind is polishing the slopes a bit. The Cretes (2,200m) is good but getting a bit hard, and the off piste is definitely the preferable descent, the Combe Valentin being largely artificial snow which is being hurriedly scraped off every day by the wombles.

Anyonw have any influence up there? Puzzled
ski holidays
Hi easiski, we are thinking about coming to Les2Alpes tomorrow, Thursday, for the day. Can you give us an insight on the current conditions please?
snow conditions
petel, Not bad, but rocky in places. Actual snow condition is good, and off piste is mostly pisted. combe de thuit very good today with smashing bumps of excellent snow. Grand Nord horrible, but Grand Nord bis good. Toura rocky in places. Glacier excellent, Bons superb and no rocks (I've heard - haven't done it myself). Actually the shole Pied Moutet side is probably better than the Lauze side. Gours a bit rocky but all skiable, don't bring your best skis though. Some possibility of snow forecast for tomorrow afternoon/night and maybe Friday - keep your fingers crossed. Looking across the valley I think we're doing pretty well!

The worst ski-ing is from 2,600 - 2,200 (apart from the Combe de Thuit). The Serre Palas/Breche from 3,200 - 2,600 looks fine but the Jandri has very rocky parts.

Give me a bell if you're over (in Tourist Office book, or check my site), but I am working almost all day.
snow report
Thanks easiski. Maybe see you 2morrow. pete@alpsun.com
ski holidays
Hi everyone - my first posting here. What an excellent site!

We're coming to LDA on Saturday to start skiing Sunday (our first time at LDA). Am disappointed there's been no snow since 26 Dec and none forecast.
We're staying at the Appts Le Flocon D'Or and were hoping to ski in/ski out.

Is the skiing good? Will we be able to ski in/out of the Appts?

Thanks
Mark
ski holidays
MarkAndMichelle, welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead . easiski aka Charlotte Swift is an instructor in LDA and she visits the site quite frequently. She can no doubt give you the answers if no-one else does. Have a good trip.
ski holidays
I am coming to Les Deux Alpes at the end of January. I am also a bit concerned that it has not snowed since Boxing Day. Is there new snow forecast?
ski holidays
the 16-day forecast shows next week a lot of snow in the hole area of the alpes (link: http://www.meteonet.nl/aktueel/GFS16daagse4.htm )

Probably there is some hope left for us Wink (also visiting Les 2 alpes from the 28th)
ski holidays
jb1970, & MarkAndMichelle, (probably too late for the latter). We are hoping for some snow this week, but it's far from certain. There is a possibility of something happening Tues pm and/or Weds - all deposits gratefully received.

At the moment the glacier is excellent (always is of course), the Cretes at 2,200m is still good and the slopes in the village (not all are "nursery") are v.good with cannon coverage. The Combe Valentin is getting very hard, and the decents from 3,200 - 2,200 are all pretty rocky although skiable. The red to Bons is still better than normal (very strange), and the Vallee Blanche on the Pied Moutet also good with cannon coverage.

I don't think we're any worse than anywhere else, but if you have nice skis, rent until the snow comes.
snow conditions
Snow is forecast for tomorrow evening and Wednesday, so we're all hoping. I've stayed low down the last couple of days and it's much better. It's been cold and there was a definite chill in the air today - wind turned to the North so it looks hopeful. Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's tipping it down - yippee Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy It's also quite windy, so we're hoping the wind will die down and the snow will continue. At any rate we should be free of stones by tomorrow evening if the forecasts are right.

It's been cold and miserable all day and got really windy this pm. We had to come down as it was so foul and they started turning off lift even at the Cretes (2,200m). the Village chair carried on going so the Valentin was open and getting quite good (apart from all the morons on it). The slopes in the village have been good all through, so that will keep us going tomorrow if the wind continues.
snow conditions
It stopped snowing this morning, but was unfortunately very windy so the lifts were only partially open. However we had skiable off piste on the lower slopes (well the runs are marked but not pisted) and good fun was had by all. We skied Mont de Lans (the lowest run in resort, down to 1290) this afternoon, and although a bit rocky in the narrow bits it was good fun. I heard Bons was mobbed, and the runs we did were much improved.

more snow is forecast soon, so ................. snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
It's been tipping it down for more than 24 hours now. Powder everywhere and good ski-ing right to the bottom of Mont de Lans (1,290m). Bons was good yesterday morning as well (1,350m). I don't know how high up the mountain was open today, but it didn't matter as the face was too good to bother going any higher anyway. I haven't found any rocks for several days now.

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
It was still snowing hard this morning, and very, very cold. I don't know who went above 2,400m but they were certainly tougher than me! the whole of the face is in excellent condition and all the lower runs - powder everywhere, so I can't see the need to go to -20+ myself .... Cool
snow report
easiski, you see what you're problem here is don't you? You're too good. I could easily ski powder in -20 without being cold, I'd be working hard enough to heat a small town. I actually had to take a layer off at the weekend for exactly that reason Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

I'd be working hard enough to heat a small town

Very Happy Very Happy know the feeling, we are the ones that "STEAM" when we stop
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, there's an old Don Whillans climbing route on Curbar Edge that the guidebook writes up as something like an average ascent taking the same amount of power needed to light Sheffield, the description always made me laugh.
snow report
ise, & Frosty the Snowman, I wish I could steam! I really feel the cold (funny job isn't it?) I had 9 layers on my top half today and was still cold!

Today was sunny and the snow was fab, and it was -10 in the town at 14.30 and -24 on the glacier with wind chill down to about -50! I went as far as 2.400m and nearly lost me feet! Thankfully my students were also cold so a nice hot choccy did the trick. Still fantastic conditions low down, but the wind must be a pain higher up. Hopeful of getting to La Grave later in the week if the wind lets up in time for the new snow to stabilize.

there doesn't seem to be a shivering smiley - where is it?
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
ise, & Frosty the Snowman, I wish I could steam! I really feel the cold (funny job isn't it?) I had 9 layers on my top half today and was still cold!

Mark Jones was saying the same thing when I was on his course in Nov' Very Happy
latest report
Well, it's a bit warmer than it was - only -10 at 09.00 instead of -20! The snow is super, although we could still do with a bit more. The wind has largely disappeared and the sky's blue ................... Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I've got to say I was a bit cold at the weekend which is unusual for me. I was seriously cold walking round the village that evening.
latest report
We had about 5 cms of powder falling this morning - lovely fluffy stuff. Actually not enough to make a serious difference, but fun anyway. It cleared late in the afternoon, and we had some excellent ski-ing on the lower slopes (including off piste), while most of the people were in the pub due to the foggy and snowy morning! rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy