Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on UK/Euro Shops to buy GS Skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Any tips for good online shops at home or in Europe to buy GS skis? I've found a couple of good sites from the States with some great prices, but the P&P needs to go on that.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 6-04-08 17:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
duty will need to be added as well.

BTW, I thought the thread title was an announcement, not a question.....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skisimon, ski-bilek in germany and telemark-pyrenees are a good start.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx, thanks for the feedback, I've changed the title. Smile

Yes, duty to add on top, but £300 for Fischer WC GS is a pretty good deal (this season's too), even after adding more for bindings and our tax man's cut.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
you could try this lot

http://www.sport-conrad.com/index.asp?disp=kategorie&kat_id=47
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
botteroski are good
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carroz, yup, that's the other crowd - couldn't remember their name when I posted!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skisimon, Fancy some RX8's going cheap? One careless incompetant owner Madeye-Smiley Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Axsman, Oi! you've already had a bid for those . . . and they're not GS skis.
skisimon, FIS standards? I could say you're taking the Eosb race a bit seriously . . . but I can't talk Embarassed
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Axsman wrote:
skisimon, Fancy some RX8's going cheap? One careless incompetant owner Madeye-Smiley Laughing

You'd need to be more precise, quite a few snowHeads have RX8s. Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque, hmmm... preferably (I would possibly go for women's standards, but don't want to drop below 21-23m radius, it defeats the objective otherwise).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque, One bid does not an auction make Very Happy (and I don't know what they are - Sport Conrad don't seem to list them any more).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, Ah but the 'careless incompetant' should narrow it down to only a couple of dozen wink Laughing

(and it is, of course, I) Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat, Laughing

Masque, I probably wouldn't do the EoSB race on them anyway (even if I manage to get some by then), I need to get some practice in on them first. Slalom skis this time round, if I stop carving at any point of the race I'll buy a few jugs of beer to go round (that'll do about three snowHeads then...).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skisimon, I've bought a pair from Ski Bilek in the past for a very good price, and recently bought a pair of Vist GS skis from kiwi1 at half price when they were shifting some stock from the last couple of seasons. Might be worth sending a PM to him to ask what he has available.

Alternatively I'm going to sell a pair of Rossignol 9X Word Cup skis. They are race department skis, 175cm with R21, and only been used for three weeks or so. Skis and Rossi race plates only, no bindings. Looking for £100. If you're interested send me a PM.
latest report
skisimon, now you've got me worried, should I bring the SXs which I know I can rock on (if brain and toes are in a rare bout of communication) or the Fischers? The race, a GS or tight slalom?
latest report
skisimon, I still have some Nordica GSR W/C with 21m radius.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, we're trying to slow t'booger down rolling eyes
snow conditions
DIdn;t Kiwi1 have some VIST GS Skis? And he's going to the EOSB too...
snow report
Masque, slalom will be the weapon of choice rather than a GS ski. The course will be much tighter and slower than a FIS regulation GS, so too much like hard work to get a R27m ski to carve that tight a run.
snow conditions
nbt, yes, I even added the thread to my favourites, but it's not there now. Sad
ski holidays
rob@rar, Glalom then! A new discipline we skied at the start of last week.

Not that I'm taking it seriously... wink But are last year's results available?
ski holidays
skisimon, Run 1 and Run 2
snow report
For recreational racing and piste skiing people are a lot better off with either a women's GS ski (181) or the non-FIS regulation skis. The FIS-homologated skis have set minimum radii and lengths, making them more difficult to ski easy GS courses on. A lot of masters-level racers in the US avoid skiing the race stock skis as the courses that are set are tighter, slower and flatter than normal FIS GS. I'd imagine races like the EoSB and resort races would be similar.
snow report
rob@rar, hmmmm weapon of choice time then the 14m SX10s or the 21m RC4s . . . or steal summat from Kiwi1's quiver . . . wonder what's going to be the pick of the bunch?
ski holidays
skisimon, THey're on his site

http://www.junkigear.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=363&osCsid=961ab40fa36898008a03125409db36ee
snow conditions
nbt, Oooooo pretty precious Shocked
latest report
Masque wrote:
rob@rar, hmmmm weapon of choice time then the 14m SX10s or the 21m RC4s . . . or steal summat from Kiwi1's quiver . . . wonder what's going to be the pick of the bunch?

I wouldn't use the RC4s as the course will be too tight. I'm taking my GS skis but won't use them for the race, just for a bit of blasting around the piste.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skisimon, i could be wrong on this but i seem to remember that FIS are going to be changing the regulations for GS skis next year and current models will be illegal for races. Unless you are competing it wont be a problem and you may find some very very good deals going on older model skis as the competive racers wont want them and race stock skis can be pricey for just rec skiers

might try pming RSJ as he is up to speed on this stuff..
ski holidays
skimottaret, I think one of the changes is the ski's radius going up to at least 27m. The Vist skis I bought earlier this season are R>27m - wonderful in a straight line, but they're not so keen on turning!
ski holidays
rob@rar, have you had a go on the VIST GS skis yet? how long did you go with ? 191 sounds pretty long to me Shocked
latest report
skimottaret, yes, radiuses of 27m for men and 23m for women. At least that's how Chris Hillier understood it.

I have to decide whether to try any serious racing, if not then I'd probably go for a women's ski.
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, we're trying to slow t'booger down rolling eyes

He gave me the webpage of the place he done his course Toofy Grin

And I already own a pair of:

(Normal retail Stoeckli GS 2006/07)

Which I didn't even use during the race in Wengen
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, have you had a go on the VIST GS skis yet? how long did you go with ? 191 sounds pretty long to me Shocked

Just for a couple of hours, so not really enough time to get a feel for them but I hope to address that in the next couple of weeks. Went for the 185.
snow report
I'll be bringing VIST GS, SL and race carve (skierX) skis to the EoSB.
ski holidays
kiwi1, what are the specs for the old VIST GS skis?
snow report
skisimon,

180cm =104/67/89.3 R23m
185cm =104/67/89.3 R27+
191cm =105/67/86 R27+

Sandwich Titanal, wood core, phenol/melamin sidewalls, ISO nano high speed bases.

They come with Speedlock 19mm race plates and 614 or 816 bindings.

current season and infact next seasons skis are the same with different graphics.
ski holidays
kiwi1 wrote:
I'll be bringing VIST GS, SL and race carve (skierX) skis to the EoSB.

Twisted Evil tissue please!
snow report
kiwi1 wrote:
skisimon,

They come with Speedlock 19mm race plates and 614 or 816 bindings.

Speedlock allows you to easily fit Tele Bindings on those.

Now if they also had AT-bindings to fit on that Wink (hint!)
snow report
I'll bring a couple of pairs of tele interfaces just in case.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy