Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Les Grands Espaces de ...... Guildford (now with pictures)

Poster: A snowHead
Got up a bit late this morning, but when I looked out to see what the kids were making so much noise about, I got faced by a snowman! I did have to go out ringing for Cathedral mattins, so slung the rock-skis, matching old boots and tatty ski gear in the boot of the car and headed off. It was still snowing heavily Very Happy , but I doubted the avvy risk was above 1, so I took a big risk and decided to ski without my usual shovel, probe,or transceiver (or helmet Wink). Fortunately ringing had actually been cancelled, so I took the opportunity to get fresh-tracks down Cathedral Hill.
The passing traffic was mostly completely oblivious to the nutter alongside - but I did get a hearty guffaw from one driver. (Actually the skiing was rubbish - not steep enough for the wet snow, and had to push all the way down - but I did just about manage to get one turn in).

So headed off to the main local hill at Newlands' Corner. Clearly I was a bit late, as the car park was already pretty full. Even though it was only half an hour from the end of the snowdump, I think we can safely say that the main "piste" was pretty heavily used - jeez this place gets tracked out faster than Chamonix!
Better conditions could be found off-piste though

A small couloir offered delightful prospects (although not French widows Wink, as far as I could see), but it looked a little short and the headwall looked likely to be impenetrable, even with a rope.

So in good touring style climbed up the couloir to check out the conditions on the way up. At the top there was a side entry from the main piste so managed to get a full run in.

Unfortunately, where there are snowsporters there are accidents, and I'd been passed by a bloodwagon on entering the car-park. I came across the unfortunate at the bottom of the hill, and despite it not looking particularly bad, they did decide to call in a Helivac - the Sussex (?) Air Ambulance. While wondering why on earth they didn't just pull the injured party back up the hill on her sledge (as she eventually managed to hobble to the 'copter), the rest of us marvelled at the skill of the pilot fitting the 'copter into such a small space.

After half a dozen runs the opportunities for fresh tracks were getting a bit thin, so I decided to retire happy and healthy.

On the way back past the Cathedral I could see that the snow was on its way out, but my tracks were still there, and had been joined by just one other pair (who had gone on to ski around a few of the daffodil patches on the neighbouring traffic islands as well).

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 6-04-08 14:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GrahamN, Fantastic stuff Laughing I hope someone's put up suitable warning signs at the top of that couloir Toofy Grin Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GrahamN, Superb report, thanks for sharing Very Happy snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GrahamN, Great report snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nice steeze.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wonder what the black runs at Box Hill were like ? It would interesting to watch people coming down The Face there.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GrahamN, brilliant, thanks.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Excellent. The heli rescue is the cherry on the top!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GrahamN, you are very irresponsible, going off piste without your transceiver and even boasting about it. You should be ashamed of yourself. Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
GrahamN, Great Pics, I am not at home in Guildford this weekend, so I am sorry to see that I missed the chance at Newlands Corner, or The Mount. I remember a few years ago having to get the police to close Newland's to snow sports because we couldn't cope with the number of sledgers coming into A & E with realy nasty fractures from hitting the hedge line at the bottom of the hill. It was before we had a helicopter in Surrey ( which is now based at Dunsfold along with Top Gear) the ambulance crews had a spot of bother getting the trollies down and back up the hill! snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Latchigo wrote:
I wonder what the black runs at Box Hill were like ? It would interesting to watch people coming down The Face there.

TR added to the London skiing thread.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GrahamN, good effort!

... but I think "Les Grands Espaces de ...... Guildford" should be known as "Espace Courtier".

snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'll let fellow Guildfordians into a Secret Spot...the Golf Club.
It's on public land, they may not like you skiing or sledging, but they have to allow you.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rungsp, Played golf there too. Lots of blind holes. Very easy to hit a skier I would imagine.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rungsp, ah...(assuming you mean the club at Clandon) so that's why there was a queue of cars turning into it as I was heading up to Newlands. Nells, I'm informed that the bloodwagon I saw was also definitely not the first one there that morning rolling eyes . That hedge line as it was yesterday didn't look as if it would result in fractures, but I saw a few attempting to extricate themselves from the thorn-bushes Shocked .
latest report
GrahamN, nice report. For a moment I thought that your skis had been speared by a lightening conductor in that first picture with the Omanesque backdrop, but quickly realised that it was infact your ski pole....!
latest report
Is that a ski pole on the Cathedral?
ski holidays
Charli939 wrote:
GrahamN, Fantastic stuff Laughing I hope someone's put up suitable warning signs at the top of that couloir Toofy Grin Laughing

I hope someone's put up suitable warning signs outside Graham's house.

Sorry Graham! Little Angel
snow conditions
GrahamN, Excellent report! Glad Coin de Newlands was as good. You should get some more by the sound of it on TV. Very Happy had you thought of the other end of the track from NC to Guildford town? I drove it once, but there was a very steep pitch if I remember rightly not too far along it. (Guildford end). Can't remember the name of the road, sorry, but up the back of the castle somewhere!
snow report
easiski, Pewley Hill, perhaps.
snow conditions
laundryman, yep, my thoughts too. Doubt that would have been skiable though - rock skis are OK for a bit fo a beating, but coming down the tarmac would probably have generated showers of sparks.

I had always intended skiing off the top of the Hog's Back if it ever snowed here, but hadn't checked out whether there were any expanses of sheep-cropped grass along there (other than on The Mount) - and there wasn't really enough snow to make ploughed fields skiable (particularly as they're normally strewn with lumps of chalk).

snowball, it's actually a gilded angel, with a phone mast up 'er/'is skirt Shocked . Must be facing directly towards the camera to appear so narrow.

easiski, clear skies and sunny since, so I think that's probably our lot for another decade or so Sad .

richjp, Razz
ski holidays
GrahamN, the golf club in question is Merrow - used to go sledging there as a kid. The two holes worth mentioning are the 1st either from the tee or the green (think of a big steep vee) but my favorite was the 17th as it had a nicely lipped bunked for jumps just before the bottom of the hill Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hofmeister, is spot on.
The important detail is that it is a golf course on public land, so there is nothing at all that prevents snow-fun. The club don't even try to stop it.
Nice short grass so low snow coverage works.
A U shaped pair of hills with nothing to worry about at the bottom.
Totally fun if there is enough snow.
snow report
laundryman, yes - that's it. go up the road to the end and there's a bridle path that goes straight along the ridge to Newlands corner. Slope down to the right. Very Happy

GrahamN, Shame - the news sounded quite promising.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy