Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To volume reduce or not???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been trying on a number of boots and given that we are at the end of the season the choice is not great. I have slightly narrow feet but do have narrow heels and my foot requires a reasonably square tow box. Anyway, back to the boots, I've currently narrowed the selection down to two boots Salomon Falcon 10 which would need blown out around the tow box to fit my feet and Nordica Speedmachine 10's which would likely require a volume reducer on one foot.

I was trying the 26.5 Nordica, but I feel and so does the boot fitter that I could get into a 26.0 without too much problem. The bootfitter suggested that as the 26.0 and 26.5 use the same shell, over time the 26.0 would stretch out to pretty much the same size as the 26.5 - which may mean additional volume reduction in the future.

I'm a little stuck now, the Nordica's feel really comfy and pretty snug and I'm hopefully going to get a pair of 26.0's to try on soon which I am hoping are a little tighter than the 26.5's width wise. The Falcons are very secure, but maybe a little much for my ability..... Boot fitting should be easy... .AAARRRGGGHHHHH..

Suggestions/help/advice appreciated!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ac505, Many Snowheads, and my husband, have had great bootfitting from CEM - http://www.solutions4feet.com

I don't know anything about bootfitting (what makes you think it should be easy?????????) but one possibility might be to wait till the Autumn when there'll be bigger stocks!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
probably shoould have said buying boots should be easy, too many bloomin' variables in the equation...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ac505, the fitter was correct the 26.0 and 26.5 are the same shell size, but the liners are the same as well, what size of street shoe do you buy, you may be able to go down a shell size [difficult to say without seeing the foot] you really want to avoid [if at all possible] putting a volume reducer in a new boot, it strikes me that they were too big in some way
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM, I generally wear size 8 or 8.5 in civilian shoes. My Salomon boarding boots are size 8 or 9, I can't remenber. I tried the 25.5 Speedmachine and it was like a form of torture device, no way could I spend any time in them. I'm thinking on erring towards the Falcon's (hopefully pick up the 9's somewhere or maybe the guns...) and get the shell stretched slightly to accomodate my feet. But are the falcons a little too racy or just good boots for relatively narrow feet.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM wrote:
the 26.0 and 26.5 are the same shell size, but the liners are the same as well

Excuse my ignorance, but in that case, what's the difference between them?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ac505, ok so it sounds like volume/height /width rather than length that is the problem, how much skiing have you done, what is your body weight? etc etc there are 101 questions which go into determaining the correct boot, the most important area is to get the foot from the mid foot to above the ankle well held, the width can be stretched /adjusted to suit lumps and bumps

richmond, in most cases the label on the box..... manufactures have to be seen to produce so called half sizes, the costs involved make it not possible all good marketing Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks CEM. I think I'll give the Falcon 9 a go, although it is racy boot, it fits well especially around the ankle and mid foot, just needs stretched at the toe box to sort out the lumps and bumps as you say. Good info on the 26.0 v's the 26.5, so that knocks the Speedmachine on the head. I was just a little concerned that the Falcon is a race orientated boot and not really an all mountain bumming about boot which is where my skiing is at.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ac505, think about the name of the boot 'falcon' as the shape and the number as the level, the 9 or 10 are just great all mountain boots, even the falcon race is only a production race boot rather than a plug /race department boot, a good fitter can make a boot softer or stiffer to suit your needs if it is required
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy