Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any Arc 1950 owners here?

Poster: A snowHead
We'll stay there for one week, April 15-22, and instead of paying for underground parking would prefer some kind of a barter if you are staying at the same time and not using your parking allowance. snowHead

PM me if interested!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone? Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sniegagalva, obviously not.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sniegagalva, Out of curiosity how much are you being quoted for parking. Only 1 1950 owner that I know of here and that is JimW.

Cheers
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thefatcontroller, thanks. The price is around 80 EUR for a week (and I hope that info is not outdated).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sniegagalva, Obvioulsy no one has responded. I believe there is a public underground car par in 2000. Ring the Arc 2000 tourist office and find out how much parking is there. Nothing to stop you dropping your bags off and parking up in 2000, however the free bubble between 2000 and 1950 only opens certain hours so if you were leaving very early you may be stuffed, check the opening times. 80 euro is £55 so unless it was considerably cheaper I would park in 1950. Anyway after a week in 1950 80 euro will apear cheap Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

http://www.lesarcs.com/Arc-2000,195#b
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi there - I too am a 1950 owner - but unable to help out for those dates, sorry.
Fat controller - bit harsh there about 1950!!
Can't think of too many French resorts where you can come away with your wallet stuffed with cash!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sniegagalva, park outside and take a small shovel?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kaydee, well, thanks anyway, maybe next time (if I like 1950 Smile )
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone want to rent out thier Arc 1950 place for a week from April 4th 2009?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
... does anyone know the website address for the HMC appartments in Arc 1950 ?

Cheers.

PS kaydee - I have never been anywhere remotely as expensive as Arc 1950 Crying or Very sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another thought - anyone know if it is cheaper to hire equipment and book lessons at Arc 2000?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="thefatcontroller"][b]. Anyway after a week in 1950 80 euro will apear cheap Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

I paid Euro 2.50 for a bag of walkers crisps (actually Euro 10 for 4 bags) at a "pub" in 1950 . If they were Seabrooks fair enough... Sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
About 7 Euros a pint in Les Belles Pintes.
About 140 Euros to eat out for a family of four at the Italian or the East restaurant, even more at Chalets Les Arc Sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The HMC side of things is now owned by Intrawest Resorts and Residences - try this http://www.arc1950.com/en/r_intrawest_contact.php.
It can be cheaper to rent up in 2000 - but it can be complicated if they mess around with the cabriolet link times, which they have done in the past! I think that this year there were no problems ( but I'm happy to hear otherwise!).
You can also prebook ski packages from the Concept Ski & Board Shop online - they offer a discount (it says!) - http://conceptarc1950.fr/location.aspx
The only downside is that lots of holiday companies use Concept rather than Ogier (better prices!) and you can queue for ages at peak times, even if you've prebooked!

We certainly think the service from Spirit1950, the ski school in the village is excellent. You only have to look at ESF monitors with snakes of 12 - 15 skiers trying to keep up and learn anything to appreciate Spirit keeping classes to 8 I think it is.
You'll have to Google and find out if their prices are way different to the ESF up in 2000.

Good luck.
ski holidays
Thanks kaydee Happy
Link has a supefluous full-stop by the way - should be
http://www.arc1950.com/en/r_intrawest_contact.php
snow conditions
thefatcontroller et al

sniegagalva and I have been PMing re how to get a cheaper pass, so it wasn't really necessary to post that I couldn't help her directly! Am looking forward to report on how the week is going / went.

(Also, bungle and zippy are owners, but haven't seen them on here in a while).

HMC are still running the bookings side until end of the season, even through they have been bought out by ITW but either way, the arc1950.com site is your best way in - has tele numbers as well as e-mail.

Concept queues (and Ogier) are horrendous at peak times, took over well over 1-1/2 hours to get small W's skis at Easter, even through we'd pre-booked. But hopefully not so bad this / next week.

Discounts from snowrental.com or danisports.fr are far better than those offered at point of sale, so we always go with them. Even when I've been in shop with on-line booking form open on the laptop - they say they can't match the prices, but if you press the "book now " button, they will honour those contracts, which are often 45 / 50% or more discounted (this year I've paid €55 for a package quoted as list of €138: for nephew's beginner snowboard).

I'd even said to them "just get close - we'd rather you had the money than having to pay commission on top to the websites", but... no movement possible.

Odd huh? Still, what do I know about the economics of running a rental shop...?
ski holidays
It's history now, but thought I should declare that since my last post we've take possession of our place in 1950.

Re. car parking. In the summer lots of French park on the road. Obviously more difficult in the winter, but I think that at Easter some were parking down near the Pre St Esprit chair. Presumably dropped their luggage off at the residence, drove down & got the shuttle back up. To be honest not sure that the saving would be worth the hastle esp. if there was a big dump.

A car is very useful though if staying in 1950. Gives you the option of visiting cheaper & arguably better restaurants in 1600 & 1800, as well as stocking up at the SuperU in Bourg.
snow conditions
al.p, congratulations on getting your place in 1950. Good to see yet another snowHead with an interest in Les Arcs Smile
ski holidays
Perhaps a meet up some time this season would be good--- hopefully this season we will be able to run the Montalbert -Villaroger challenge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Vanoise allowing?
snow conditions
redrunmarcus, there's quite a few of us now in the Golden Triangle of Les Arcs, Bourg and La Plagne Smile
ski holidays
rob@rar, .... Laughing
latest report
We were in 1950 today after taking photos for Imaflatbrokecontroller up at 2k.
Someone once likened to a Disney world of Ski, I tend to agree, I guess it looks more French with snow wink
snow report
Laughing
snow report
boredsurfin, has half of 1950 fallen over?

Disneyesque it might be (not that there's much wrong with that IMO) but it certainly beats most of Arc 2000, 1800 and 1600 Smile
latest report
redrunmarcus, rob@rar, boredsurfin

certainly up for meetings and "the challenge" if the washing line is open. - although may want to do it backwards - we'll need to confirm logistics and timings to get to the 'start gate' at either end!

Boys' Week is 17th Jan
(and there appear to be a few newbies and other 'hangers on' coming along this year into different apartments, including some of the female persuasion. Shock horror!!! What is the world coming to? The whole point is going away without the distaff side...frankly, I despair of the younger generation ),

family trip is Easter fortnight, 4th - 17th April iirc, so either time, we'll be up for it.

al.p, whereabouts are you in 1950 - and are you on arc1950owners.com? pm me for details if not.
snow report
jimW Manoir Savoie. Yes on owners website & waiting for instructions on paying our sub to owners association.

Will be out Feb half-term & first week Easter hols.
snow report
JimW wrote:
thefatcontroller et al

Discounts from snowrental.com or danisports.fr are far better than those offered at point of sale, so we always go with them. Even when I've been in shop with on-line booking form open on the laptop - they say they can't match the prices, but if you press the "book now " button, they will honour those contracts, which are often 45 / 50% or more discounted (this year I've paid €55 for a package quoted as list of €138: for nephew's beginner snowboard).

We are going to 1950 at Xmas this year and going from some of the previous mails on this link may be eating in quite a lot!!! - The discount rentals you mentioned - where do you collect the equipment from? 1950 or 2000? Is it not a hassle?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
waterskibabe,

Use the web to get the prices, but pick skis up in the 1950 village from the resort shops, either Ogier (good quality service, but expensive.. ) or Concept
Be warned tho' - Concept is also the most popular, and the queues for kit on Saturday evening on Sunday morning are frankly horrendous, and need to be sorted out. And that applies both to picking up and returns.
(FWIW, If picking up on Saturday, get there before 4:30- if picking up on Sunday, starting queuing outside the door at 8:15 latest if you want to make the 9:30 ski-school).

If you do decide to go up to 2000 to rent, it is not a hassle: the cabriolet pedestrian lift between the two only takes a couple of minutes: when the resort first opened, the lift closed early on a Saturday - it was suspected in order to keep 1950 skiers renting from 1950... but that rumour and practice has now ceased, and you can get up and down easily enough.

There are not a lot of reasons for going from 1950 to 2000, but until Concept sort out their distribution queues and Ogier drop their prices a little, hiring gear is probably one of them.

PS - Most snowHead s know I come on here defending 1950 to the hilt, but this is an area that needs sorting out quickly. Hopefully, Concept will have spent time over the summer and looked at the problems last season and made some changes (it is mainly logistics and layout) : if anyone is out there before 17th Jan, would appreciate a posting on how things go on that front.

PPS nothing wrong with eating in! - and the supermarket do spit-cooked roast chickens to take away if you order before midday.
snow report
JimW,

Thanks for that info - very helpful!

I'm currenlty pricing the different options and it really is unbelievable the difference - For kit from Concept I am getting prices ranging from £169.91 with snowrental - £306.00 with my tour operator.

Will now be checking prices in 2000 as I hate queues at the best of times.

Cheers! Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy