Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ANother binding mounting questions - ready drilled, do I need glue?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok, so we're off to Tignes next week. I have some new skis this season, and Mrs NBT has her skis, so we have my old pocket rockets as spare. It occurs to me to take them - that way I've the new skis for the piste, and the pocket rockets for the off piste. getting 2 sets of skis into one bag is quite often a right pain, so I was considering removing the bindings and sticking them in another bag for the journey - it's not exactly hard to do with the right tools. However when kiwi1 mounted the VIST bindings on my new skis, he used waterproof PVA to keep the screws in place. Is it essential to do this?If I take the bindings off, do yo uthink a nice friendly ski tech might be willing to remount the bindings (and take them off again for the trip home) for jaffa cakes / beer? Do any tignes residents have the requisite tools / glue? Or can anyone else think of an easy way to get the second set out without putting them all in one bag - there are reasons other than purely fiscal...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nbt, You need glue. Waterproof PVA will do. It's an easy job - apply glue to each hole, screw bindings on. Ski shop will do it for you.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nbt wrote:
.......when kiwi1 mounted the VIST bindings on my new skis, he used waterproof PVA to keep the screws in place....

That's not quite right as the adhesive has very little bond strength. He used waterproof PVA to seal the ski core from water ingress & to lube the mounting screws for easier inserting as they're self-tapping.

It's not best to keep removing flat mounted bindings due to the self-tapping screws having the potential to loose their 'grip' with repeated removing & refixing, especially on a foam cored ski. If you're going to then all you need is a no.3 pozi driver & some waterproof PVA to reseal. Be careful not to overtighten the screws - just turn them to they stop which with a 6" driver will be pretty much on the correct 4.5Nm torque. Avoid the temptation to 'nip' the screws up as that will overtighten them. If a screw continues to turn then you're not going to get a decent hold (risking a pull-out) so the hole has to be made good by either a mixture of epoxy/wire wool & then redrilling or the use of a helicoil. I'd also give them a good few hours before use to let the glue dry.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
if you don't have the correct size screwdriver as stated then don't try and bodge it, make the trip to the diy shed, its worth it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nbt, If you are already taking two pairs of skis ( yours and the mrs ) and two ski bags , just slip another ski in each bag - should be easy to do rather than squeeze two pairs in a bag Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
To echo spyderjon I wouldn't want to remount non- adjustable bindings just for travel convenience.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bin the supernoodles anyway.... wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT wrote:
Bin the supernoodles anyway.... wink

or you could just fold 'em up & take 'em as hand luggage Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks chaps. I shall carefully consider all the options before making my decision Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy