Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ellmau or Canazei?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've taken on the job of organizing a ski holiday for next January for a large group of mainly intermediates with a handful of complete and advancing beginners and am wavering between Ellmau and Canazei. I'd really appreciate any advice as I'm having difficulty making my mind up.
Any thoughts snowheads?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Canazei is one corner of Sella Ronda in the Val De Fassa. The runs there are predominately red. It would be ideal for someone who can ski red slopes and able to do the Sella Ronda circuit.

Ellmau is 1/8 of Ski Welt. There are blue and even "green" slopes there. The scope for beginners and intermediates to enjoy blue slopes is definitely better in Ellmau. Also terrain wise one can ascend Ellmau to the top and access the 6 other resorts of Scheffau, Going, Soll, Itter, Hopfgarten and Brixenthale. That will do nicely for skiers still struggling with red runs.

Others may differ but I would have thought Canasei is for a more experienced group. Staying in Corvara, which is next door to Canasei, may be better for intermediates if they must go to the Italian Dolomites, which is a paradise for a skier who can travel around over "long" distance without worrying about the gradient of red slopes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
saikee wrote:

Others may differ but I would have thought Canasei is for a more experienced group. Staying in Corvara, which is next door to Canasei, may be better for intermediates if they must go to the Italian Dolomites, which is a paradise for a skier who can travel around over "long" distance without worrying about the gradient of red slopes.

Has Corvara been moved since we were in Canazei in February Puzzled

Campitello is adjacent clockwise and Arabba anti clockwise. Corvara is diagonal opposite in terms of the Sella Ronda resorts and about as far from Canazei as you can get on the Circuit. Pedant mode off snowHead

I would not chose Canazei for the group based on their skill sets outlined in the origianal question. Arabba would be better IMHO as it gives better access to the Sella Ronda route. Canazei has obe lift up from teh town and then presents the skier wtrh red(ish) pistes to start with before venturing further field for bluse at Plan de Gralba or the opposite way through Arabba to Campolongo.

Selva may be a good base as well.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Selva and the smaller villages on the Sella Ronda are superb for itermediate skiers. Canasei is slightly trickier if trying to avoid stiffer reds than perhaps Corvara or Arabba. However, Selva iself, can be less than straight forward when heavy traffic has chopped up Dantercepies and Ciampinoi. Decent intermediates shouldn't have a problem with any of it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dolomiti99, given good snow Ski Welt is the best area I've been to for a group such as you describe... great mountain restaurants too. cracking area....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you all so very much. Your comments have helped me decide in favour of Ellmau. Cheers and good luck to you all.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Further advice please...what's the experience of fellow snowheads when skiing in Ellmau in early January ie. is there likely to be snow there? With it being a low lying resort is it generally safe to book a group holiday there at this time of the year?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can vouch for it but I skied in one Christmas/New year time and snow wasn't a problem at all.

The way I look at it is if there is a shortage of snow then Austria should be the least affected. This is based on the general snowhead comments and my last few years in Austrian resorts. For some reason Austria has better snow than other countries in the Alps possibly due to its mountainous terrain.

Ellamu, just like all the satellite resorts in Ski Welt or the majority of the Austrian resorts, has chairlifts to get you into a higher level for better and long lasing snow. 7 out of 8 satellite resorts are all linked to the same summit so if there is a snow problem and it cannot be made good by snow making equipment then the whole of Ski Welt will be in trouble and so is the neighbouring Kitzbuhel.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is it Ellmau or Going that has the funicular? Up that end there is the best mountain restaurant in the whole Ski Welt area (don't know where exactly, it was a few years ago). I went 1st week of jan 05 (I think) to Soll but we skied everywhere except Westendorf (Soll-Going & back is a full day if you ski down to each base startion). I remember more tree skiing up in Ellmau-Going and the great restaurant. Think the slopes were a bit shorter, as far as I remember there are mid-stations in Sheffeau, Soll, Brixen, Hopfgarten & Itter areas not Going & Ellmau. It's completely seamless going fom 1 area to the next, just different decals on the lifts & the village name on the piste-markers. The snow was fine & the area has extensive snowmaking so don't worry about the low altitude. The only problem with this areas is the lack of Black runs so if you'd be avoiding them anyway, it's a good bet.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
That's helped me put my mind at rest. The area should meet all our needs. Thanks for your advice. Cheers!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dolomiti99, I was there December 13th -16th this season and there was 1 metre of powder, the whole area open! But of course it was a particularly good year early on...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy