Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long holiday, where?

Poster: A snowHead
You'll see from the Nendaz thread that I've been put off going there because of poor snow on the runs to the resort so I'm open to new suggestions for a suitable resort for a long holiday next year.

Our requirements:

-Snowboard friendly with a good snow park

-Not too busy during holiday times

-Likelihood of good snow so probably quite high

-Ideally French or French speaking

-Apartments near the slopes

-Enough area to keep us entertained

-Child friendly

-Not too expensive

We've been to Morzine/Avoriaz/Les Gets, Tignes, Courchevel, La Clusaz, Le Grand Bornand, St Gervais and Megeve before.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tremblant. Not been but fits your criterea. Not sure about expense.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Arcs
La Rosiere, not sure about a snowpark per se though
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Serre Chevalier has a really good snow park.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helen Beaumont, I've thought about Serre Chevalier a couple of times before and it's a definate possibility. Any more info on it?

I'd be interested to know which part is the best to stay in, what it's like at half term and how snow-sure are the runs to the resort(s)?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
marmalade, busy at half term, but Monetier is quieter,but anywhere in France will be then. Snowmaking means resort runs arepretty snowsure.I have been able to ski back to village at Christmas every time we've been. Monetier is obviously my favourite, as our apartment is there. If you want any more info, PM me, or post and I'll be about. Also a short aiport transfer from Turin (<2hrs) for visiting teens. Railway station in Briancon with overnight sleeper from Paris.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marmalade, my next door neighbour in Les Arcs as put his daughter, now 8, in the local school for the winter term for the past three years. Might be an option for you if you planned to do a season.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marmalade, Of the places you've been, where did you like most and least - and maybe why? Is your extended holiday all about the skiing or are you looking for 'frenchness' and easy access beyond the ski resort to other activities, places to visit etc?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marmalade, You need to get a wiggle on and decide as it will soon become quite hard to get 6 continous weeks soon in a popular, slope side chalet or apartment in any French or Swiss resort
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
marmalade, have you decided which six weeks you are interested in? There are a fair number of slopeside apartments in our area, the Espace Diamant. Of the linked resorts in the area the most snowsure at resort level is Les Saisies, and the most challenging skiing in Notre Dame de Bellecombe. The only time we have not been able to ski to our apartment was the last week of last season, which was very warm and slushy everywhere. There's a lot of accessible off-piste for adventurous snowboarders (my son, who has spent two seasons in Val D'Isere, had his best day ever here, at the end of March) and some massive jumps, as well as smaller ones. No half pipe this year, I think, though there are some rails and an excellent boarder cross. Almost entirely French speaking (though English voices are becoming more common year by year). Not too bad at half term, certainly infinitely preferable to the big resorts. However, as always, those 4 February weeks are busy.

The linked area includes Notre Dame de Bellecomble, Crest Voland, Flumet and Praz sur Arly. The lower skiing in the Arly Valley is great, but very weather-dependent, and not good for shaky snowboarders with some very tough button lifts. The top of Notre Dame is the best skiing in the area, long, steep and very deserted red runs, which hold their snow extremely well and with lots of off piste - just one area a bit avalanche prone, mostly OK.

We've been here for six seasons so far, and have kept ourselves entertained pretty effectively!

It's a very short drive from the back entrance into the top of Les Contamines and the very interesting Areches-Beaufort area is also well worth a visit providing the roads are not too snowy!

Megeve is 40 minutes away.

Season lift pass bought in advance, around 300 euros.

We don't rent our apartment (because we're almost always here!) but we know some people who do.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Annie,

I LOVE La Clusaz because it's a nice French town but I don't think there's enough there to entertain the boys so I'd like to go somewhere with more for boarders.

Their favorite is Avoriaz but I refuse to go to PDS during school hols and I'd like somewhere more French.
I didn't like St Gervais because it was inconvenient, the snow was crap, it was foggy and the lift system was ancient. It's a place I'd go to for the market only.

I would like both Frenchness and a few things to do besides skiing.

I'm very tempted by Serre Chevalier but can't find airlines who fly from the North East to the airports in that area. Although we will probably drive, the boys will probably join us part way through the holiday so flights are essential. I like the idea of skiing in Italy too- never been there. Helen Beaumont, do you ski Italy when you're staying at your place?

pam w, When we skied around Megeve (from St Gervais) the snow conditions were pretty poor. Although it's a lovely area, the boys want yoof culture and sound systems pumping gansta rap onto the park (hence their love of Avoriaz) !!! I don't think you'd want them holidaying near you! Twisted Evil BTW after skiing St Gervais we drove up and skied La Clusaz - the reverse of what your friends are considering. There's a little place called La Giettaz on route too. It might be worth a stop off as it was very quiet but with great snow. From there you can ski all the way to Megeve and beyond.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marmalade, yes, you're probably right; not much gangsta rap around here, except occasionally on my MP3, interspersed with Handel! You probably need somewhere catering to Brit mass market for that, so difficult to combine with Frenchness. Round here, most of the French are in bed by 10 pm!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
marmalade, we've always had to fly to Geneva, but normally drive down. Alternative is plane to Paris and overnight sleeper to Briancon, or daytime TGV to OULx. Yes, you can ski in the Milky Way with your lift pass.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Before you discount Nendaz go to the Telenendaz website and look at their webcams. The run to the resort is always open. I have spent 36 weeks in Nendaz over the last three seasons and the run down to the village has never been closed. There are plenty of snow cannons on this run.

The run that was discussed on your Nendaz thread is the link to the rest of the 4 valleys. This is a problem but it is worth driving or catching the free shuttle bus to Siviez for the quick connection to the Mont Fort.

Nendaz is a lot more snow sure than PDS or Megeve and the lift queues are not as long.

If you want some of the best skiing in Europe at substantially less cost than Verbier it is worth further consideration
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rossfra8 wrote:
Tremblant. Not been but fits your criterea. Not sure about expense.

I've never been myself, but Canadians out West always say how icy-hard it typically is in Tremblant. Even heard that comment from someone we know who lives there. So it doesn't sound great for snowboards or great snow conditions in general. Some other friends of ours went there last year and one of them broke his collar bone on the icy hardpack. So not convinced it fits the OPs criteria? Hell of a storm that hit the place in March this year though!
snow report
marmalade, you could have a look at La Rosiere, it's high and with a great snow record, the domain is linked to La Thuile in Italy on a single ski pass. It has a good snow park and lots of off-piste. It's certainly not as busy as the nearby mega resorts during peak periods and getting there isn't too much of a problem, there's autoroute till Albertville (58Kms) and Bourg St Maurice (23kms) is a rail terminus, with airports at Grenoble, Chambery, Lyon and Geneva all within a 3hr drive.
I believe the village offers terrific value for money and it's a great base to visit the nearby Haute Tarentaise resorts, Val D'Isere, Tignes, Les Arcs and Ste Foy. There's a good choice of appartments available, the Tourist Office has will help you with a list. It is still a working village so it has an identity and character far removed from the usual ski station, it's certainly French speaking although the Italian influence does come through.
snow report
marmalade wrote:
You'll see from the Nendaz thread that I've been put off going there because of poor snow on the runs to the resort so I'm open to new suggestions for a suitable resort for a long holiday next year.

Our requirements:

-Snowboard friendly with a good snow park

-Not too busy during holiday times

-Likelihood of good snow so probably quite high

-Ideally French or French speaking

-Apartments near the slopes

-Enough area to keep us entertained

-Child friendly

-Not too expensive

We've been to Morzine/Avoriaz/Les Gets, Tignes, Courchevel, La Clusaz, Le Grand Bornand, St Gervais and Megeve before.

Les Deux Alpes seems to meet all of the above requirements ??
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy