Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis missing in transit - advice and reality check request!

Poster: A snowHead
Agenterre, how about a snowheads screen id? wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Agenterre, not even a hotel address?

I'm starting to think I'm not paranoid enough!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wear The Fox Hat, ... certain parts of the World ... no ... ( it isn't just in the UK that your ID can be picked up after all) . It's not paranoia .... is it? Embarassed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agenterre, if you read some papers, it's a way of life. rolling eyes

How would you suffer identity theft by giving your name and hotel address?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Someone might turn up and check in pretending to be you... Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Paranoid bunch!! If you want to see your luggage again quickly (or at all) if it gets delayed/lost, put your destination address on the outside and your home address on the inside.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skisimon, I guess so, and if you never make it to the hotel, then they might get to stay for free. Then again, if you turn up after they have checked in, then you'll need to be able to prove who you are, and they would have to do likewise.
...in other words, they might get 1/2 an hour of hotel accomodation before being kicked out. That's a scary thought, I think I'd better write to the Daily Mail and let them know that "Millions of Britons could have their ID stolen every year so that others get free hotel accomodation" Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Laughing

I don't want anyone soiling my sheets except for myself.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wear The Fox Hat, Sorry by ID .. I meant a means for folks to identify that you're away from home for some time ... and organised gangs make it happen ...

uktrailmonster, If it gets delayed/ lost then the tracking sytem should find it .... it's damn difficult to remove luggage tags by tearing etc ( especially when compared to luggage labels! ) ... and my home has lots more valuable stuff than in any suitcase ... destination address on the outside may eventually catch up with you ... after you've come home wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat, Sorry by ID .. I meant a means for folks to identify that you're away from home for some time ... and organised gangs make it happen ...

uktrailmonster, If it gets delayed/ lost then the tracking sytem should find it .... it's damn difficult to remove luggage tags by tearing etc ( especially when compared to luggage labels! ) ... and my home has lots more valuable stuff than in any suitcase ... destination address on the outside may eventually catch up with you ... after you've come home wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I recently flew with Easyjet from STN to Geneva. They(*) seeming forgot to put my ski-bag on the plane - with both mine and the gf's skis packed into it. Our plan to get onto the slopes of Chamonix by midday was put on hold whilst I sat queued up at the Swissport desk for 30 mins with the other 18 people who'd had their bags left behind on the same flight. 2 days later bags turned up in Chamonix ... not aided by the fact that we were staying in a small apartment without anywhere they could deliver them too. Fortunately the ski-shop we'd hired our skis from were very kind and happily took delivery of them.

What pisses me off is that the airline must have known at take-off that they'd left 18 items of baggage behind, and presumably decided better to take off now (it was first flight of the delay) rather than delay every flight that aircraft will make that day. So their ineptness, cost me several hours of skiing time, and 1.5 days rental of ski hire for 2 skis (plus added inconvenience/hassle). Only thing that made me feel less pissed off was sympathy for the boarder in the queue in front of me who had all his clothes and other stuff in his board bag that suffered the same fate. At least I could hire some skis and get on with the rest of it.

(*) Technically I guess it was the baggage handlers rather Easyjet, but how Ryanair manage to not loose bags and Easyjet do at the same airport suggests it's something they do wrong.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kamikaze - aaaaagh!

My skis are now in Montreal, apparently. _Very_ useful....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snow_rat, I haven't looked it up, does that mean they are getting closer?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snow_rat, they're moving in the right direction, at least.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
They were apparently in London yesterday. Due for delivery during the day today, but despite a friend kindly waiting in all day there's been not a squeak and now the office is closed.

Grrrrrr!

Not once has anyone contacted me or my friend, we've had to chase Zoom/Aviance again and again.

When I've been parted from my skis in the past (never for more than a day), I've been able to track online, or have been called directly by the handling company.

Grrrrrr!

I still don't feel very hopeful.

</whinge>
ski holidays
The first time we took skis on a flight, having hired them in Ayr (cheaper than hiring in Austria, at the time) we had four pairs wrapped in a pink candlewick bed spread (hiring the bags too cost extra). I didn't notice any suspicious characters lurking round eyeing them up.
ski holidays
Agenterre wrote:

I don't really care if someone decides to break into my hotel room after I've gone home.
snow report
pam w, you were lucky, that's all. You could easily have fallen foul of one of the many international gangs of 1950s bed cover thieves operating at airports. Underrated item of bedroom paraphenalia, the candlewick. Very cosy.

I've just received compensation from BA for them delaying my boot bag (including gloves, helmet, shades and goggs) on a recent trip to Kitzbuhel. The fact that they took 6 weeks to give me the money was to a large extent offset by the fact that they seem to have given mee about 50% more than I claimed (no indication of why), and chucked in some air mile. So, I have new gloves, (which I don't want, particulalrly) and groovy new shades (pink lenses with removable yellow lenses on top) in exchange for wasting an hour getting new kit and wearing crap boots for a day and £130 and a free flight. Reasonable deal, but annoying that it happened, nevertheless.

Any more sightings of the skis yet, snow_rat?
snow conditions
I mark my ski bag with strips of white tape at strategic points to make it stand out and have my name and mobile phone number clearly written in large letters on the bag itself.

Still didn't stop some muppet at chambrey thinking that it was his ski bag though.
latest report
The skis remain MIA. I spent a large proportion of the afternoon trying to get through to various companies on various phone numbers.

The conclusion - when I suceeded in talking to someone - is that the bag has gone from Aviance (baggage handlers) to Ground Care Solutions (delivery) to Amtrak (delivery more than 100 miles from Gatwick) who should have delivered it yesterday. They are now closed until Monday.

We don't know why they didn't deliver the skis yesterday, but they should in theory turn up on Monday if they're in the depot (where Ground Care Solutions _think_ it is). However Amtrak tracking system on the website says the bag has _been_ delivered, to a name I don't know!

Marvellous. Great. Rather tempted to just hire skis in the future!

It's good to be able to type it all out whilst grinding my teeth, thanks all!
snow report
snow_rat, that's very frustrating for you!
ski holidays
Agenterre, do you shoot your postman every morning? He knows where you live, after all.

snow_rat, my money's on them turning up, FWIW. I have a good feeling about it.
snow report
Happy ending, the bag arrived today.

After their two week journey, the skis will receive a lot of TLC.

Phew....
ski holidays
snow_rat, Very Happy
ski holidays
snow_rat, I'm soooo pleased they finally made it home for you. Very Happy
snow report
snow_rat, I hope the skis are claiming the full airmiles Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy