Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Riser plates

Poster: A snowHead
How much riser is too much rise?

These are my Scleavers on axe+ plates and 912 ti's I removed from my xscreams.

I'm after some info if this is ok? Not ski'd em yet and off to chill factore next week to test em out.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 3-04-08 10:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Those should be fine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I thought they probably would.

Thanks.

john
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

Outta interest. I bought these off ebay. Is it true the composite material weaken in the sun? Heard some horror stories, though i've fitted the 5 mounting screw under the heel.

They are brand spankers.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In general composite materials will weaken under UV radiation, also excessive heat isn't good for them either - so don't leave the waxing iron on one spot for too long.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Again thanks.
John
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are those the old Driver Suspension plates? Proper old school Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh yeah Bob. I got em for £25 new in a box of ebay. Not ski'd em yet, but they look trick blue on saffron.

Only bad stuff i've heard about em is they go weak in the sun. End peices fall off of toes like 912's etc and if you don't fit the 5th screw under the heel your shafted as it pulls the other 4 out and duffs up the top sheet.
Am i phased... er no Laughing

Any one know the principle behind the driver plate with suspension?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nice curtains
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
seat throw from primani £2
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnDUB wrote:
seat throw from primani £2

You wus robbed wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mrs was Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnDUB wrote:
Any one know the principle behind the driver plate with suspension?

You know that drill of skiing without your clips done up? Well, Salomon went and invented a binding that saved you having to reach down and unbuckle!

In all seriousness they're a free-flexing heel with a dampened toe-piece. IIRC Salomon stopped doing them pretty quickly and no-one really recommended them as they deadened the ski too much. They were pretty much a marketing gimmick.

That's the thing that gets me about Salomon (and Look for that matter) : they keep on coming up with newer looks and 'designs' but the Salomon 916 and 920 bindings and the Look P18 that the pro skiers use are pretty much identical both in appearance and construction to the fifteen-plus year old 957 or Look Z Forza. The retail stuff changes year to year, with suspension plates, pilot plates, spheric systems etc etc all coming and going but the basic design remains. I guess you've got to try to persuade people to ditch the 977s and 997s from the old skis and buy the new stuff, even if the new stuff is plasticky rubbish in comparison.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
That's the thing that gets me about Salomon (and Look for that matter) : they keep on coming up with newer looks and 'designs' but the Salomon 916 and 920 bindings and the Look P18 that the pro skiers use are pretty much identical both in appearance and construction to the fifteen-plus year old 957 or Look Z Forza. The retail stuff changes year to year, with suspension plates, pilot plates, spheric systems etc etc all coming and going but the basic design remains. I guess you've got to try to persuade people to ditch the 977s and 997s from the old skis and buy the new stuff, even if the new stuff is plasticky rubbish in comparison.

... and you can pick up some 997 equipes on ebay for a tenner (postage included) if you keep your eyes open
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've read the 997 equipe's are as burly as hell and worth a punt. I've looked at the 912 and 897 and they are very similar. Body and riser plates only seem to differ.They all suffer toe wing adjustment loosening, the rubber on the ends of the wings fall off.
I've only stuck really with salomon bindings as the ski's are pre drilled and they fit straight on. Apart from the drivers needing three more holes. I used a product called sikaflex to water proof the holes. I have some old school K2's and I whipped the quadrax's off and glued em back in with the sikaflex. Worked.. Good stuff. Don't know the number of it, but it was black and used as an hybrid bonding agent in bus building!
latest report
johnDUB, apparently 997equipes are basically the same as 916s although the 997s have different DIN settings. the ones i got go from 6-14 so pretty perfect really and they are an awesome dayglo yellow too
just need some skis to put them on!
snow conditions
Heh, I've got a pair of Equipe 997 DIN 14-20 with Deflex sat at home atop a pair of old Rossignol EX's. I'll have to check if they're the ones where you can remove one of the springs and drop them down by three notches, and if so they're going on my upcoming all-mountain skis (don't fancy slow twisting falls in deep stuff at din 15!). They're absolutely bombproof, and have certainly aged a lot better than the two pairs of S900 I have mounted on my old 2v/3vs. They're all-metal and have the independent toe-wings that don't loosen. I only hope my 916 Labs look as good in ten or so year's time!
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob is clearly a hardman wink
snow report
Arno wrote:
Sideshow_Bob is clearly a hardman wink

Nah, I just like to cool in the lift queues, people thinking I'm skiing a DIN of 16 but the spring is only a 6! I wouldn't ski the 20s any more unless I was competing again or could drop the DIN.

I was actually concerned about the DINs on my 916s in the pow and deep stuff last week, as I kept on tip-planting or hitting stuff under the surface at relatively low speeds that made my skis stop dead. Fortunately they released every time, even for the really slow stuff, and yet remained on despite taking some lateral blows from ice-cookies and the like during some quite scary straightlining. I would have preferred the 914 DIN range for my slalom skis at least but didn't want the plastic toe-piece of the 914 Labs. Shame the metal bindings are so damn heavy. My double ski bag with two pairs of skis both mounted with 916s, one pair of poles and a day's ski gear weighed in at 24kg at Grenoble airport!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy