Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A quick hello and thanks for your support.

Poster: A snowHead
Either Marc Poncin is Lord of the Pixies or those skis are massive!!
Hi Snowheads,
Admin and Kiwi1 have asked to do a short resume on myself for your website before I meet you at the EoSB so lets hope I dont bore you all to death ! lol .
Anyway here goes , my name is Marc Poncin and I am a member of the British speed ski team. At the age of 41 I am the old man of the circuit having competed now for 27 years on the FIS and world cup circuit . I am currently the British and commonwealth record holder with a speed of 245.891km and have been British champion for 8 years . I have competed at the highest level of the sport including the world championships gaining 5th place in yllas (finland) ; 5th place in Idre (sweden) and winning bronze medal for 3rd at Salla (finland). The other 2 world championships in Verbier and in Cervinia, I made the top 10. I also competed the olympic games 1992 in Albertville (France) missing the finals by 2 places .
As for the world cup i have over 26 world cup podiums and for the last 4 years I have finnished in the FIS world cup points rankings in the top 5, last year gaining my best finish of 4th overall in the world cup 2007 .

Speed skiing is the oldest alpine discipline. It started in the late 1870s with Colorado miners racing from A to B in a straight line with 4 metres skis with handles on them to keep them in a straight line coz of the extreme length of the skis. So before gates and poles were invented speed skiing is the original form of ski racing! Speed skiing is the fastest non mechanized sport in the world, with the world record standing at 251.40km in 2006 in les arcs (France), we can accelarate faster than a formula 1 car. On a course in Vars in france we go from 0 to 200kmh in just under 5 seconds. Sometimes I am asked what's the best way to describe what speed skiing feels like? Well I guess it feels like taking an elevator to the 50th floor and once there, opening the trap door and free falling down to earth. But even that wouldnt be correct as free falling has a maximum terminal velocity of 217km unless you go into a bomb shape.
I guess I am an adrenelain junky, seeking the ultimate speed rush all season, I personally love the feeling of speed if its on a bike or in a car but even better on a pair of skis as then it's purely me generating the speed and its me open to the elements, the wind resistance, the the course terrain, the snow and you can feel the the full affects on your body as you struggle to keep an aerodynamic position and your skis in a straight line!

Speed skiing is an extreme sport and sadly, in my racing career, I have witnessed 3 deaths. The last one was the tragic and sad loss of Catlin Tovar a team mate of mine who died while competing in the world pro mondial race in les Arcs last year (2007). This deeply affected me as she was a great friend of mine and I found competing this season difficult. The result of this tragedy was for me to enter for the first time this year into the SD class of speed skiing in also known as 'production class'. This means you compete in downhill equipment and not in the S1 speed category equipment (with the rubber suits and Darth Vader helmets). This is like going from formula 1 to formula 3, but i needed this change to regain my hunger and my confidence. Losing so many friends begins to affect your mind and the love you have for the sport! But this season switch has had a very positive affect for me: I have won 4 world cups races so far in the Production SD category and finished 3rd in the other 2 world cup races so far held this season. I have another 3 to go and am in the overall lead with a commanding lead in my category. I hope to take the title by the time I am in Verbier for the world cup finals and win the Crystal Globe for Britain (all of this despite missing the first race).

Thanks all for the support you've shown me guys. I will keep you in touch with any further news on the racing front as we are now leaving sweden for the next leg of the world cup tour for Cervinia (Italy).
Marc
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
marc poncin, welcome to snowHead!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marc poncin, Welcome, seen your poster in the bar just behind the chair lift in Arc 1600. Good poster and cracking American burgers Toofy Grin

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 3-04-08 10:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sweet! Welcome to snowHead let's have a beer when you're in Verbier...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marc poncin, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I am looking forward to meeting a genuine nutcase wink Give me a wave as you shoot past Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
marc poncin, welcome to snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Welcome aboard marc poncin, from the looks of your credentials you should be able to keep up with us at the eosb Very Happy I look forward to meeting you there.
Does anyone know if there's a speed gun setup in VT? I know the Wengen one saw a bit of snowHead action at the last bash.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marc poncin, Welcome mate. Good luck in Italy and I'll see you in a couple of weeks. Blush
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marc poncin, welcome to snowHeads, and huge respect to you.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
how far does it take you to stop from over 200kmh!!!????

you is crazy man
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marc poncin, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Will you be competing in the EoSB race? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
can he do turns???
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
marc poncin, welcome to the madhouse!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marc poncin, A great intro - welcome to the asylum Madeye-Smiley snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marc poncin,

Welcome to Snowheads.

PS Those skis make you look short have you ever considered getting a pair of 158cm twintips to make you go faster? Wink
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=900959&highlight=twin+tips#900959

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 3-04-08 12:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
wow, now thats what I call in introduction.

No jokes needed about rubber suits then. wink
ski holidays
Renry, Or jokes about him poncin about on the nursery slopes

Coat please....
latest report
Hi Marc. Good luck and god speed for the rest of this season's races.

Back in 1987 I think I was the only journalist to write about Graham Wilkie of Surrey breaking the world speed-skiing record for Britain. We made it the front page story for Ski Survey magazine. Having witnessed the sport at first hand, all credit to you for now skiing at speeds that even Graham Wilkie could only have dreamed of.

The best article I ever read about speed skiing was by Steve McKinney, after he broke the 200 km/h barrier (which is now only 80% of what's being achieved). I think it was in the US magazine 'Ski'.

As for your age, am I right that Divina Galica (the former British speed skier, and Olympic ski racer) was still competing at 50? She was driving trucks around race circuits last time I spoke to her, which was many years ago.

There was also a Finnish racer, whose name I forget, who was still competing in his late 50s, if I recall correctly.

It is, indeed, a magnificent tradition ... and one of the great stories (and scientific puzzles) in skiing.
snow report
marc poncin, welcome to snowHead s. Great "CV".
latest report
marc poncin, welcome. Be nice to meet you at VT. I hope Andy told you that you're to be badly handicapped for the EoSB race.
snow report
marc poncin, Welcome to snowHead s. Have you any idea what you've let yourself in for.... ? Toofy Grin Very Happy
snow report
Mosha Marc, I'll put him on 143cm scouts Toofy Grin (and he'd still kick my ar5e)
snow conditions
kiwi1, I was thinking more blindfolded on his speed skis Laughing
latest report
Mosha Marc, yup.......he'd still kick my ar5s.
snow report
how come they can go faster on snow with a gradient than can be achieved with freefalling out of a plane?
snow conditions
shoogly, they don't. The speed skydiving record (the equivalent of speed skiing) is over 500kph.
I think what marc poncin meant was a skydiver falling in a normal flat, face to earth position.
snow report
Great first post.
snow report
marc poncin, Respect ... and Great Post . We have a couple of 'Crazys' here too , and a few who claim to have gone faster than you .... but they've given up drinking now !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marc poncin, what a fabulous post. Welcome and sorry I won't meet you in Val Thorens.
snow report
marc poncin, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead I had a go a KL in Les Arcs a few years ago. Mucho respect to you.
snow report
marc poncin, Welcome. What's the length of the skis. Shocked Good luck in Italy.
ski holidays
Marc in action

snow report
kiwi1, I reckon you tilted the photo so he is actually on the flat posing....................joking Laughing

marc poncin, On another point you raise in your post re Catlin, remember she died doing something she loved and she would most defintiely want you to continue. Apprciate the effect it has had on you but hang in there Cool
snow report
marc poncin, welcome

wow

I skied the les Arcs flying Km last week- but in knee deep powder- it was great like that!!!

But I really don't have the planet sized b4lls that you do!
snow report
marc poncin,
bring home the globe.
latest report
shorty, fine words. It'd be nice eh. A snowhead wins a crystal globe wink Very Happy

re-edit to: It'd be nice eh. A brit wins a crystal globe.
snow report
i would like to thank everyone of you, for your very kind support and wishes !! i have to say i have been completely taken aback by your support . Blush . its wonderful to see so many people on here who have a genuine love and desire for the sport of skiing whatever discipline we do , because at the end of the day we all do it for the pleasure and excitement and thrills it gives us all . anyway iam back in europe now and iam looking forward tot he next leg of the world cup and dont worry ill bring the trophy home for us Brits !! and join in the end of the season party at Val thorens with something to celebrate about i hope . Anyway Again i would like to thank to all those who have written to me wishing me luck , this means a lot to me even if iam not use to it coz sadly speedskiing has always been seen as a fringe and extreme sport not worthy of support . finally i would also like to give a big thankyou to Kiwi1 andrew for all his help and offers of sponsorship for next season , you been a big help mate
latest report
marc poncin, welcome to snowHeads and best of luck for the rest of the season. Will be great to meet you in VT. A word to the wise...hide your rubber suit, there is a snowHead who is dangerously drawn to them Toofy Grin
snow report
marc poncin, Can you detail the type of Boots you use?
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, They look like SX91s or am I a million miles of?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy