Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wagrain-Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello

Was just looking for some info on Wagrain in the Ski Amade area of Austria!

Whats the area like? as well as the other local areas i.e. Flachau, Filzmoos, Zauchenesse.....

Whats the lift system like?
and snow record for this time of the year!

Just any general info please!

cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
swskier, Welcome to snowHeads

Great area, skied dome of it early February.

Superb lifts, nice pistes, nice huts, big thumbs up from our crowd. We will all return. Not sure about April skiing though as most skiing is between 7-2100m.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cheers for the reply frosty!

Forecast looks good has been snowing essentially for 2 weeks and minus most days except a couple!

Hoping it should be good!
Going with school so will be a bit tied down in what we can do but hopefully in our advanced group we'll get to see a lot of the area!

cheers
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
swskier, We really enjoyed the top end of Wagrain and Flachau. A lot of fairly easy skiing but a couple of interesting blacks and steeper reds on the Wagrain / Flachau border. It was a great and pleasant surprise to us all.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Excellent sounds like it should be good! Hopefully the weather will keep as it is and we'll b sorted!

Cheers
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
swskier, as per Frosty the Snowman, it's a great area, and has had a fab season snow wise. Lifts are very efficient, fast, and usually modern and comfortable. Quite a big ski area so not too crowded, and at this time of year I would expect you would have it almost to yourself.

Wagrain links with Flachau in one direction and Alpendorf/St Johann in the other, but then on the Amade pass you may also get to ski Zauchensee/Flachauwinkl (my favourite Amade area), and Schladming/Dachstein, among others, depending on what your group leader decides. Zauchensee is for me a highlight, and according to Waynos who seems to spend a good part of the season out there, there is fab snow there at the moment, and being at a slightly higher altitude, it tends to hold it a bit longer. There's lots of accessible off-piste there so it can be a fun day. Wagrain/Flachau will still be fun though, lots of piste to cover so you shouldn't get bored.

As you are going with a group, I guess someone else is in charge of making sure the areas you want to ski are open on the dates you are there. You can still check the individual area websites for ski season closing, as whilst there is still plenty of snow, they might still close some areas for operational reasons, or if there are no punters...??

The Ski Amade region is really a gem and you will have a fab time.

D
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Elizabeth B was in Wagrain this time last year http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=597107#597107 but bear in mind the recent snowfall in Austria - conditions should be better this year compared with last.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
swskier, I was there on a short trip in the week before Easter, and the whole area was great. However, our first day was before the big dumps and temperature drop, and so below about 2000m was softish and sticky, and anything below 1500m required water skis and a wetsuit. For that reason alone, Flachau was a disappointment, as there was basically just one lift with 2 parallel runs which remained usable out of the large number on that hill side, with the inevitable result that the lift queue was 10-15 minutes. Once the gods had taken pity on us, the rest of the area was great, especially Zauchensee and Wagrain, so if the weather holds, you'll love it. If it turns warm, head for Zauchensee or Dachstein instead depending on whether the temperature at village level is warm, or hot.

In the perfect conditions we had after the first day, both Flachau and Wagrain were excellent, and I'd highly recommend them. Flachauwinkel was OK, but limited, while Zauchensee immediately made it into my top 3 areas list. We visited Alpendorf and Kleinarl once each (run down to them, then lift out immediately), so I can't comment beyond saying that the run down was great, and the lifts were good. We didn't have time to get to Alternmarkt, Radstadt or any of the smaller areas, but I'd love to do them in the future, especially as they'll almost certainly be quieter than the 3 main areas (which were themselves significantly quieter than anywhere else I've been in Austria).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lovely thanks for all the replies people!

Have visited the Ski Amade area before but in the Gastein area, stayed in Bad Gastein!

Its looking good for sunday onwards then weather is excellent atm so should be amazing skiing! Tis my 2nd trip this year so am pleased about that!

Hopefully our instructor for our group will be more of a guide as i'll be in the top group, thus meaning i get out of Wagrain and see else where!

Cheers
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Heard that Wagrain is nice - really nice pistes and also good apres ski!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy