Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I'm crap with a transceiver - well I was today

Poster: A snowHead
Back with my team today again, boys and girls. And I was very well behaved. Toofy Grin

Anyway, we were practising finding multiple burials - two rucksacks very close together. Now I have done this before - and it seemed straight forward with the Tracker I own. Not so today. The Tracker gave very confusing readings, and I just could not sort it without help. Clearly more practice required - and I will try to get stuck into that. Meantime, someone else on the party had a really smart transceiver which correctly identified the number of burials, and lead him directly to each. Impressive. I'll check the model and post details.

Meantime the instructor observed that he was very impressed with the ABS system - the balloon thing was directly over the victim in 90% of burials. Even so, the instructor also felt that every one off-piste should wear transceivers.

BFN. The bar and din-dins (top notch here) calls. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
With an ABS rucksack I would hope the balloon thing was directly over victim (or under or beside them). Any other place means they are no longer wearing the rucksack and its safety properties are lost. Or do you refer to another of the safety devices that is like a balloon at the other end of a piece of rope that is attached to the victim?

An ABS rucksack is not ideal in all cases. On exposed rocks it may be better to risk burial rather than floating high for a huge distance. Also the ABS rucksack relies on you remembering to pull the handle! And that relies on your remembering to fit it before being exposed. A transceiver is always worm and operating.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Adrian, the current ABS sacks we used in January had the handles permanently attached, but covered by a Velcro strap when not required. This was easily moved to be "ready for action". achilles, was the transceiver a "Peeps" by any chance?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or a Pulse?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I found this quite compelling with regard to the ABS system:

http://www.abssystem.com/abs-Dateien/main-Dateien/downloads/Unfall-Tabelle-englishjune2006.pdf
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yoda, I have notiuced that you can't actually attach skis to those ABS bags tho .. please correct me if I'm wrong. If this is the case then this is a major flaw
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, yup. It was. Chatted to the bloke this evening. He has something like 3 transceivers. He experimented with them all, and decided the Pulse was easiest to operate as an amateur. From his description of the Pulse as he described it to me this evening, I can see his point.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
plectrum, I'm ashamed to say I didn't notice that as we only did shortish "boot ups" where we could shoulder the skis Embarassed But yes that could be a big problem. The other one is the flying question which was discussed on another thread a while back - was an answer to that forthcoming?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, achilles, totally agree: found the Pulse very easy to use straight from the box (for a single burial, at least)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles, I have a Pulse and from my very amateur fumblings with a couple of different transceivers it was the easiest to use, especially for multiple burials.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
its not just you wink have a look here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=849276&highlight=transceiver#849276
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
plectrum wrote:
Yoda, I have notiuced that you can't actually attach skis to those ABS bags tho .. please correct me if I'm wrong. If this is the case then this is a major flaw

I'm 99.5673% sure you can (at least on certain models). Only skinned (not booted) up since getting my ABS bag this year but remember mounting a pair of skis diagonally across the back when I tried it on in the shop.

bottom left pic
http://www.bergsport-welt.de/product_info.php?cPath=38_100&products_id=958
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A serious message in here for all gadget guru's - you need to be taught how to use transcievers, just taking them out of the box and strapping them on is a pointless exercise. Alas, I suspect that there may be many owners who have done just that....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OF course you can attach skis...seen two people do it with ABS bags at least...

I'll find a pic if you want. Never seen them A- frame tho'
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT wrote:
Never seen them A- frame tho'
Tieing skis to the sides of an ABS bag would be counter productive as the balloons burst through flaps on the sides. The group of six small pictures on this page of the ABS website show where the balloons come out of the rucksack.
snow report
Quote:

A serious message in here for all gadget guru's - you need to be taught how to use transcievers, just taking them out of the box and strapping them on is a pointless exercise. Alas, I suspect that there may be many owners who have done just that....

Very sensible and sadly true was with a group this year and first thing the guide did was a transciver test and buried his, taking everyone in the group 1 by one out of sight to find it 3 of the 8 of us found it 2 couldnt use the transcevier at all and the otherw where way of in their searching.

Guide told them all they had lines for homework 100 times I must learn to use my transciver Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy