Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Touring - Silvretta Alps 3 days to go ... oooh excited

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So in Dec I purchased alot of Randonnee equipment, K2 Shuksans, Skins, Garmont Endorphins, Naxo Nx21 bindings and in Jan I tagged onto an Eagles ski tour led by UAIGM guide John Hogg and alongside our own Yoda! Now I am 3 days away from flying out to Klosters to take part in a proper 7 day hut to hut tour along the Silvretta alpine chain.

Excitement is slowly building up and it was only when explaining what I was letting myself in for to a mate that I really began to grin. I'm a little full of a little trepidation as have been a little lazy of recent and a bit of a tummy bug but on the flip am young and healthy so really looking forward to this first major trip into the wilderness.

Anyhow this is really a thread just to say wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo and if anyone has any thoughts about how the snow will be at this time of year please let me know.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
have fun. take lots of pics and post a TR. I'm sure your guide will find some good snow if there's any to be had Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno, it is messed up as currently it could snow throughout the entire week, so will certainly be an interesting, if a little difficult!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
if the worst comes to the worst you'll have a week of guided powder skiing. bummer! snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
plectrum,

Looking forward to reading about it...and you can post reviews of your kit. Like how you liked the Naxo's etc. I know the boots will be great.

All the best
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JT, I skied both Naxo NX21 and Fritschi Freeride in Jan and found the Naxo to be very nice, but I'm very much a beginner to randonnee and limitations in technique are far more noticeable than limitations in technology / equpiment.

I personally enjoyed the Naxo more but partly it was a mental thing as the Naxos are mine and the Fritschis were hire store! Also regardles of what people may say I saw the old Fritschi release into freeheel mode 3 times to 2 different people, one being the guide with over 30 yrs experience. I know freeride + solves this issue somewhat but regardless that is one to many worries for me at 40 deg Wink

Just hoping this tummy bug leaves Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
plectrum,

Mrs Ski uses old Fritschis. Never gone into freeheel mode when not supposed too.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
plectrum wrote:
Also regardles of what people may say I saw the old Fritschi release into freeheel mode 3 times to 2 different people, one being the guide with over 30 yrs experience. I know freeride + solves this issue somewhat but regardless that is one to many worries for me at 40 deg Wink
(

I've skied more than 200 days on freerides and they've never done that, you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet and certainly not just keep repeating it. I've only ever seen an old one release once for that matter without obvious cause. I've watched several people try to force them closed with snow in and see them pop out again in a few minutes which I assume if the source of 95% of these reports.

I also know a lot of people with the older freerides who spend more time skiing than surfing the internet and have never even heard there's supposed to be a problem Very Happy

Even your anecdote proves how exceptionally rare it is anyway, if a guide is using an older pair of freerides then they're quite obviously fairly old and well used, they've not been made for over 2 years after all, he/she obviously has many days on them, is probably aware of the stories, and it's so little of a problem they still use them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ise, Each to their own, but my real life experience shows 2 guys unlocking in one day, pretty high averages to me. Luckily for all there is free choice and diversity in the market place. Personally I am punting for Naxo, but I have yet to try Dynafits and I've got a strong feeling they are going to be amazing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
plectrum wrote:
ise, Each to their own, but my real life experience shows 2 guys unlocking in one day, pretty high averages to me. Luckily for all there is free choice and diversity in the market place. Personally I am punting for Naxo, but I have yet to try Dynafits and I've got a strong feeling they are going to be amazing.

You'll understand if I take the couple of hundred days I've actually used mine over that though? I ski with hugely experienced tourers on those bindings and it never, ever happens to them, that's many hundreds of days collectively of experience.

plectrum wrote:
I know freeride + solves this issue somewhat but regardless that is one to many worries for me at 40 deg

I really don't think that's possible, look at the way the freeride+ works and you'll see it actually cannot happen (if the binding is fitted and used properly).

There's three main causes of this IMO. First, the binding's not mounted properly to start with. Second, the ski's too soft for that type of binding and it's flexing too much, Third, in most cases, like 99%, there was snow and ice in the binding when it locked and they forced it down and got unlucky and it opened. IMO, any of those will be exacerbated if the binding's the wrong size as is typical with rentals. A "perfect storm" of all of the above will do it as well.

40 deg seems a bit warm to be skiing Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ise, They were fitted perfectly, they were on Rossi Bandit B2 possibly some show got gunked but mroeover it seemed that the powder was heavy and so forced the latch up. Regardless it happened to 2 people in the same day. We were skiing gently so no damage but I see it as such a fundamental design flaw.

Heh each to their own as I said, Your happy with the Fritschis and I'm quite happy with my Naxo's so far and if they ever develop lateral slack as is rumoured on the net I will junk em. I think my next set up though will be the Dynafit but this will not be for atleast 2 years as currently just learning the touring art.

On another subject, arrived into Klosters at 11.45 am, straight to ski shop, bought a few items includign great deal on touring poles 50% off becuase of a couple of scratches ... I love end of season clearance in the stores.

Decided to ski all day rater than train into Davos to youth hostel so hung about on Gotschna and Parsenn. Snow was intersting especially as my first run was at 1pm and already soft. It is obvious though how much snow has falled this season, everything is white and skiing all the way down to both Klosters and Davos with 0 sign of mud or rock.

I do wish I had done a season this year but I am back in the lovely land of snow and so cannot complain Smile

FYI Youth Hostel in Davos is reasonably well located 10 min walk from Parsenn main lift, rooms are ensuite with locable cupboards and food is plentiful, wholesome and good.

Very happy so far Smile Now 2 more days piste practice before heading up into the high mountains for the week.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Re insta-tele on FR+. It DOES happen - like it's happened twice to me in the three+ weeks I've been skiing them this year (on my 95mm BD Kilowatts), and it probably happened to me 3 or 4 times in the 15 or so weeks I skied on the older Freerides (mostly on my 78mm Legend 8000s). It's nothing to do with the ski flexing under the binding though, as in each case the heel release lever has flipped up into the free-heel position. In each case it's happened I've noticed it at the end of a mogul run. I think it's that when skiing with feet fairly close together, one ski can catch between the other ski and the heel lever and flips it up. It's never happened to both skis at the same time.

It's really no big deal, just flip it back down again and continue. Pretty much every time it's happened I've not noticed it until someone else has pointed it out. I do like the ability with the Fritschis to flip into walk mode (e.g. using the handle of a pole) when walking along flat sections of a traverse - it's demonstrably 2-3 times faster than walking with heels clipped down - and it would be qway more of a faff to do that with the Naxos.

Insta-tele happens, but I do not consider it a problem.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GrahamN, Flicking into insta with Naxo is easy, you just need to put the ski pole tip in and lever. It is possible to do this with the lock on also just one more lever to create.

Anyhow 10 cm of snow dumped on Davos today, some great preparatory skiing for next weeks tour. The snow is pretty heavy with different grades of softness but powder is still to be found close to the piste and I'm sure off piste it is still there in abundance.

Another good meal at the Youth Hostel, and in respect to a thread I posted on the bummers of living in London vs say Yurich; top put it in perspective, look at snow report Friday, get up at 6am to catch train in Zurich, arrive Klosters by 9pm bang get on lift stay Sat night in Youth Hostel and return Sunday evening.

Total costs for 2 days skiing; Train 40, ski pass 50, Youth hostel inc food 25, Total = 115 wow ... I gotta get me a job in Zurich!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 5-04-08 18:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy