Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

cheaper to pre-book from the UK ?

Poster: A snowHead
hi,
I am going to la Plagne, I do not know if it is cheaper to pre-book the skiis, the lift passes, lessons etc from the UK or buy it there ?,
I have just booked my trip through Iglu. com , they never tried to flog the extras and I was so ecstatic that I got the deal that I forgot,
anybody wiser then me ? Puzzled

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 31-03-08 22:04; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
helena57,
Welcome to snowHead .
If you meen booking through the tour operator, it is rarely worth while, or saves you money. Prebooking skis from places like ski set, can get you significant savings at the expense of less choce for rental. Prebooking ski school at popular times of the year guarantees you a place if you are using a smaller ski school who restrict numbers but is unlikely to save you money. Prebooking a lift pass may save you a bit of a queue at the time but is unlikely to save money.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
helena57, Where in La Plagne are you staying and when are you going? Not worth buying lift passes in advance but skis I think are worth pre booking?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hi, Very Happy
I am off- 12/4, to La Plagne 1800, Club Hotel Les Rhododendron,
just hoping for good skiing and reasonable prices,
I am going with my 2 little boys( 6 & 8 ) so any other comfort will be a bonus,
they have just learnt to skii during Feb hols, it is so nice to be able to enjoy it with them,
but I am trying to minimise the costs,
H
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My experience with kit hire is that everyone ends up paying pretty much the same; if you don't get the 'advance/online booking' discount, you get the 'staying in Hotel X' discount or the 'family' discount or the '6 days for the price of 5' discount or the 'I'm such a nice guy I'm going to give you a discount' dicscount.
TO discounts, such as they are, might come back to bite you, as the TO gets a rake off on top of any discount you get, which may not encourage the best service or kit from the shop.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
helena57, definitely book ski school in advance - I think there are some La Plagne experts on snowheads who could point you in the right direction for ski schools. They're not all the same! You could check the website and probably book passes in advance and check prices (unfortunately the strong euro is making things expensive. Sad ). There are sometimes big queues on a Sunday, for lift passes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For ski rental, do you mean pre-book as in reservation only, or pre-book and pre-pay?

Worth popping on to the website and reserving everything without payment, since you'll normally get 10% discount. Print the email and take it with you to claim the discount. If the chalet/hotel you stay at gives a better discount, then obviously take that instead.
I got 10% off at Ski Set in Zell am Ziller with a reservation only (didn't even need to select level of skis, just list number of people and what you need).
But in Les Gets, I got 20% discount at Ski Set (Michaud Sports) just by telling them which chalet I'm staying at.
All payments on return of skis at the end of the week.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
T Bar,
Quote:

Prebooking a lift pass may save you a bit of a queue at the time but is unlikely to save money.

I think a lot depends on the resort. This year paid £90 for lift pass via operator as opposed to £110 in resort. Same resort, next year, have already prebooked at £78. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here's part of my report on ski rental at Val Thorens, this Easter :

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=869868&highlight=temple#869868

" I had pre-paid via Snowrental.com and I found that on Premium skis n boots I saved 70 Euro compared to the First Choice and shop list price. The shop was very busy, but efficiently run and we (me, mrs, 2 kids) were kitted out with the minimum of fuss and plenty of friendly banter with the staff. Now I am always a bit sceptical about hiring "prermium" rather than "standard".
I got a pair of Atomic Nomads, which I saw retailed in the shop for over 400 euro's so was pleased to see that I did get good gear. The boots and skis were great. "

http://www.snowrental.net/

I have used them twice and found them cheap and reliable.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thank you all for the advice, I am taking notes and will get into action of booking well prepared,
Quote:

do you mean pre-book as in reservation only, or pre-book and pre-pay?

I meant : pre-book and pre-pay,
Quote:

Now I am always a bit sceptical about hiring "prermium" rather than "standard".

the same here, I know nothing about the types of equipment and what difference it would make to my skiing,
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
helena57,
Quote:
Now I am always a bit sceptical about hiring "prermium" rather than "standard".

We recently went to Montchavin on a short break and decided to rent 'premium' skis rather than bring our own. God they were good, he did go to a select set of skis in one area to get them. We have a private lesson one afternoon and the instructor was really impressed the wife was skiing on what she was, as they were the latest model out. Sadly they cost about 600 euro and she now wants a pair Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
helena57, If the pre-pay price is in £s consider the lousy exchange rate at the moment. e.g. we booked lift passes through Crystal at £199 each, If we had bought in Canada and paid in $ it would have been £230 at the poor exchange rate. Even with Nationwide woudl have been £220 - no contest. It depends on when the operator set their prices really.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hiya Fat Controller

Quick question? Where did you rent from? Zig Zag?

Thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its definitely cheaper to pre-book than wait till you get to resort - online there is lots of competition - once you're in resort the shops have you! We've currently got ski hire at 40% off the in shop prices on our site and other extras discounted too. It's worth hunting around the internet for deals before you go - plus if you prebook lift passes then a rep sorts out your lift pass which saves you the queue at the lift pass office.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JP wrote:
T Bar,
Quote:

Prebooking a lift pass may save you a bit of a queue at the time but is unlikely to save money.

I think a lot depends on the resort. This year paid £90 for lift pass via operator as opposed to £110 in resort. Same resort, next year, have already prebooked at £78. Very Happy

I'm impressed with that saving and the absolute price, cheaper than most for skiing, was it a full week?
snow report
T Bar,
Quote:

I'm impressed with that saving and the absolute price, cheaper than most for skiing, was it a full week?

Yes; 6 day pass.
ski holidays
Flocon Ange, It was the skiset shop by la ferme de cesar.
ski holidays
Thank you
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy