Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isere TR/pics and comparison with North America (Fernie)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just returned from a stonker of a week in Val d'Isere (VdI) 22-29 March and it has got me thinking. Where is better a powder hungry expert - Europe or North America? I've always considered North America to be the no-brainer choice for off-piste powder shenanigans however this current hol has reminded me of the advantages of Europe. As examples for this comparison here are some observations of life in VdI and Fernie where I spent a 5-day dumpfest in late January of this year.

SNOW

F - bonkers. 150cms+ fell on a 3m base whilst we were there. Constant soft super-light pow all over the mountain, often knee-waist deep. Visibility never a problem thanks to trees.

VdI - a big dump the day before we arrived then light snowfall every night to keep things fresh. And...bluebird skies every day (apart from one). Incredible. Nowhere was super deep however plhenty of soft snow was available, albeit often on a very crunchy sun-affected base. Generally a much heavier snow quality than in Fernie. Lack of trees meant that both wind and visibility were often problematic.

Verdict:
We were very lucky with conditions in both resorts. However, Fernie wins due to a better overall annual snow record, snow quality and visibility. This can probably be extrapolated to hold true for most European/NA resorts.
TERRAIN

F - steep and deep, lots of tight trees, short runs. Mostly difficult to access via long bumpy traverses => very difficult on a board. All terrain within resort boundaries was avalanche patrolled.

VdI - masses of very easily accessible off-piste. Often no traversing or hiking was required at all. Long long runs on open tree-less remote and spectacular mostly easy slopes. But not avalanche patrolled. Really a guide is required for safety purposes for all of the off-piste.

Verdict:
Very difficult to choose. More variety in Fernie thanks to the trees but much easier access and longer runs in VD, many of which are a long way from the pistes and really have the "in-the-wilderness" feel.
If it hasn't dumped for a while then the VD area is huge with far more groomed runs in VD than Fernie to maintain interest. I wouldn't want to be stuck in Fernie for more than a couple of days if the snow was crap.

QUEUES/CROWDS

F - its reputation really attracts the powderhounds consequently there were big queues for first lift on powder days and most of the runs were tracked out very quickly. Then little or no queues during the day but there were always a fair number of people on the mountain. However other North American resorts that I have visited (Panorama and Whitefish) were very quiet. Also - Fernie's lift system is slow and poorly connected. It takes a very long time to cover not-very-much vertical.

VdI - we were there in Easter week and it was very busy on the pistes with occasional 5-10 minute queues for lifts not uncommon. However the lift system is the complete opposite to Fernie's - FAST. Furthermore, and very importantly, the vast majority of VdI's customers appeared to be fair-weather piste skiers. Untracked soft snow was always available all over the mountain up to several days after the last dump without having to travel far from the piste at all. No queues for first lift even if there had been a substantial overnight snowfall.

Verdict:
VdI wins. A far superior lift system and a greater chance of finding of untracked snow.

COSTS

For everything (travel, accomm, lift pass, food/beer):
1 week in VdI = 600 (not including a guide)
10 days in Fernie = 1000 (staying in a hostel)

CONVENIENCE

VdI wins - a shorter journey from UK and all facilities are much closer to the slopes with no requirement for a car or bus to/from the mountain every day.

Overall verdict:
Tough call - both were great!
The snow in Fernie was superior in terms of quality and quantity, visibility was better on the pow days and no guide was required. But loads of other stuff was better about VdI.
I guess that for a week or 10 day trip booked in advance I would again choose Fernie (or somewhere else in North America) for a greater chance of powder being scored which ultimately is the most important factor. But if you can travel at short notice on a good forecast then VdI may well be a better choice.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 30-03-08 22:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hd, Nice report. We skied Fernie a few weeks ago, good to see a comparison.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mostly good points but I've experienced very bad snow (well rain actually) in Fernie late Jan early Feb a few years ago. Never had such bad conditions in all the time I've spent in Val. Season is also longer in Val. Terrain wise Fernie just doesn't stack up with Val other than tree skiing, generally fernie is short and sweet. Don't get me wrong really enjoyed a couple of months in Fernie, but it's a long way to go and no where is powder-sure. Val may not have many tree runs but other areas in europe do.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A few pics here. More to come.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
All of the pics have now been uploaded. Let me know what you think.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy