Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Practising freestyle - help

Poster: A snowHead
Hello, its Oliver here,

I've been trying to complete a 180, but it hasn't worked so far. Would practising on a trampoline with skis on help?

thanks, Oliver
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oliver, sounds a bit dangerous to me: I'm not sure that, if you fell awkwardly, your bindings would release, as they're designed to release on a non-bouncy surface. You might be injured and the trampoline might suffer from the ski edges too. So - maybe not advisable. But someone might come along here with a contrary view, that often happens on snowHeads. wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You'll need a small kicker rather than just a bump that you can jump off of. You'll need the extra time in the air to get the 180 degree rotation in. Also, practice your turns from skiing backwards to forwards with a little speed as when you've landed the 180 you can flip back round to forward facing easily. Another tip with all jumps is to ski out of the jump rather than apply the brakes on landing.
Our snowboarding daughter practices on a trampoline on her sandboard, I'm not sure that she can translate on of it onto her snowboard on snow though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hi oli, what exctly is the prob? are you not making the rotation, ie not enough spin, are you getting in the backseat or going all corked??
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for helping me.

the_doc, I think I'm not getting enough spin. I land sideways Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hey oli, yeah LOADS of peeps have that problem when they first try to spin, believe me getting the rotation just right is a pretty difficult skill that lasts right up until you try cork 7's!!!!! firstly find yourself a nice jump to try it, small piste jibs and bumps are ideal as are the small park jumps, get the speed right for the jump and have a few warm up runs (im kinda taking it for granted yor switch riding is ok?). the actual jump itself...
1. keep that core and stomach at about 50% "tenseness" (is that a real word????), this will give you a strong core and a good platform for any jump. set this tummy before you start your run in!

2. keep those hands foward as you hit the kicker to stop you getting popped into the back seat...

3. the rotation itself will be dictated by your hands and head. many people have the problem of committing to a switch landing, as you take off, rotate your hands back up the hill and make sure your head follows, this will start the spin. i can almost guarantee the prob might be COMMITTMENT!! use those hands to drive the body the full 180 so your hands, head and chest are facing back up the hill...

4. finally, dont be in a rush to revert back, the key to a stylish 180 is to keep it casual and ride out switch for a few meters to show control. when ya got it stick in a safety grab for props then try a swich 180, now that is committment!!!!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the_doc, So how to convert that to a 360 ?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ha, yep, spin like a futherfu#ker!! erm, well before hitting the 3 try switch1's first, this will give you the sensation of finishing off a spin and landing regular. once youve got that down, repeat steps 1. and 2. these are basic principles that stand you in good stead for all freestyle moves.

the 3 requires more effort in the initial spin, but not as much as you think. its more a case of finishing the spin and continuing past the 180 point (which is where the switch 1 practise will come in handy!!)...when you try this remember to continue to lead with your hands and shoulders and not get crossed up or twisted up! keep it clean and your shoulders level to prevent getting "corked" and off-axis. remember it is you shoulders and hands that dictate the spin, not your feet, keep this focused and as i say you should get to about 270deg on your first go!!!

you're probably going to take some hits trying a 3 so make sure your preped for this, its a cool trick for backcountry jibbing aswell (ive taken some huge bangs trying to get it down off cliffs!!!) and of course choosing the right terrain and equipment will add to the confidence...try try and try again!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the_doc, sort of sounds like that 'finish the turn!' mantra. (Not that I'm about to find out.)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle, more like the 'start the turn early and commit to it', in some expert skier places known as the high-C mantra.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex,
Quote:

its more a case of finishing the spin and continuing past the 180 point

But that's also probably a high-C mantra, if by that is meant the noise you make when you get it wrong! Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
[quote="the_doc"]

Doc, are you taking the p***? He's a 10yo kid for crying out loud!! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hey Guys, thanks for all the advice, this is Oliver's mum and he's currently outside practising jumps on the trampoline (without skis).

Downhilldan - don't worry he's being closely monitored (on the forum and on the trampoline) altho I just came back from a weekend skiing to find that Patch had helped him sign up to snowHead but all useful advice so far, what he can't use now he will use someday soon I'm sure Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A few years ago when the big names were over filming in C'vel for Matchstick a 'young' local lad caled Gigi Couttet stole the show aged 14 (?) by pretty much sticking everything the big boys were sticking ... Tanner, CR, Mike Douglas, Pep Fujas..we're talking BIG names here...
Younger you start the further you'll spin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Offpisteskiing - you're right and Oliver's in a great position 'cos his neighbours in Villarlurin are all local lifties and instructors and he's been going out with them and is racking up some amazing experience for his age, balanced with a great amount of advice about respecting the mountains from the locals. What a great age to start lucky little beggar Very Happy
latest report
the_doc wrote:
try switch1's first, this will give you the sensation of finishing off a spin and landing regular.......

.....you're probably going to take some hits trying a 3 so make sure your preped for this

Good plan. Out of interest would you slacken off your binding settings a tad when practicing given most falls will be quite slow speed (I'm old and need to avoid broken knee's) ?

Also when taking off switch, are you using much flex in the ankle / knee ? I struggle to get much 'pop' as I (think) I tending to be a bit tall in the leg at take off.

Thanks for your help Cool
snow report
Get ya self out with the boys who run the British Freeski Camps. They'll sort out your 3's, 5's and all that airborne stuff. Haven't done one of the camps myself buy my friend has and loved it. They run in Saas-Fee from 12th July - 9th Aug. All the info's at www.britishfreeskicamps.com. I know Pat Sharples + Andy Bennett, both former ex British team Moguls skiers coach on the camps. You get all the young up and coming guys on the camps as well as the parents these days. My friend was in his 30's. Mid life crisis maybe? He came out of it a better skier by all accounts. All their info is on the website.
latest report
yeah offpisteskiing, and you can add thomas krief, sean petit, kye petterson, murray buchan and jake terry to the list of kids sticking 3s,5s and 9s before they reached their teens (and some of those havnt got to the terrible teens yet!!), as far as im concerned oli's in an awesome position to learn! from what ive heard the brit freeski camps are pretty awesome, you get somme top notch coaching in all aspects of skiing, not just park, and as its a warren smith run things theres something for the parents and freeriders aswell....what else do you need??!!

as for slacking off the bindings im not too sure about that, maybe but if you do then they might pre-release on landing, if your bindings are set correctly then they should release if you stack it?? you takes yer money......switch take-off are pretty much the same as regular ones, you will want to stay flexed in the centre of your boot as if riding normal, and pop on takeoff, but yeah i know what you mean i dont seem to get as much pop when i hit a kicker switch, guess we need to get out there and practise more eh!!

now lastly downhilldan, what ya talking about dude?? there might be a few reasons methinks, firstly my bad language being entirely inappropriate for a 10yr old, for which i appologise but i was unaware of Olis age, and i dont think youre in much of a position to critise! secondly if youre objecting to people encouraging such a young skiier to take up freestyle then well, see the examples above...and lastly mebee its a bit complicated? well, he is 10 but i didnt think it would be too complicated, the tips are pretty universal, i used to teach my freestly groups exactly the same thing when i was a freeride coach in lake tahoe, CA, and some of the groups i would take were a lot younger than Oli is, the same coaching park riding in europe and the domes over here, personally i dont see a problem??

hey anyways on a lighter note if anyone is heading for the EOSB then we'll put a few turns in together if that sounds cool???

cheers all, the_doc
snow report
the_doc,
thanks for all the advice, I pretty much understand it all and Dad has explained the parts that I don't. I've asked to go on one of the camps in the summer as I'll be down in the Alps anyway for most of the summer.
snow conditions
hi oli,awesome, you should have an awesome time! enjoy!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy