Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Racoon, down or XCR

Poster: A snowHead
Phelps can you pop on the copmuter and find out the best jacket for the rockies mid winter.

Lady Beryl insists that nothing less than mink will be adequate for our expedition to Banff in mid january. Frankly I am loathe to take the 12 gauge to one of God's creatures these days so it looks like a more synthetic approach is required. Find out if you are you allowed to pluck geese these days.

No doubt there is a lot of flapdoodle spoken about this stuff so please ensure that Lady Beryl gets the best stuffing money can buy!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Regretfully our North American cousins are few and far between on this forum, so advice on how Lady Beryl can get the best stuffing will inevitably be from a European angle. I'm sure plenty of our experts would be able and more than willing to oblige her Ladyship however. Must say I'm surprised you should feel the need to post to a European equipment forum. Equipment down under is alleged to be more than up to the task, but perhaps that's just so much hot air?

Welcome to snowHeads wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My dear fellow
I did try our trans Atlantic cousins but it seems the only jackets they recommended were in camouflage and their equipment was in "short" supply.

You rightly guessed I am currently downunder and it is indeed very hot and sweaty. They wander around in this blasted heat with barely a stitch on wearing things on their feet called thongs, very curious, , certainly they have no idea of what a jacket is.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I must say I have to feel sorry for Lady Beryl if it is hot and sweaty. That is certainly not an experience every lady would relish, and I can certainly understand her looking to pastures new. The French Alps would be her best bet, a breath of fresh air, if slightly garlic-scented.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dear Fellow,

I use and can personally vouch for Messrs Gore and Associates XCR. Kept me perfectly dry in a howler of a (rain) storm the first time I gave it an excursion. And I've been flogging it around the alps for 4 years without a problem. None of this terribly trendy soft shell stuff though, that's strictly for the balmier skiing around Easter.

It's terribly technical stuff these days though, so you'll need something warming. I'm rather an afficionado of the Regulator line from those clever boffins at Patagonia. R2 works most of the time and my R4 jacket kept my essentials warm as toast at -25 with a -25 windchill. Too damn cold for skiing though.

But just remember, as our chums in the Klondyke relate, "Cotton'll kill ya."
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't know if you have ever watched Thunderbirds in Australia, but I'm fairly sure that on that, Lady Penelope has a Parka.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mr Murdoch.
Would you mind if I called you rupert?
Thanks I will have a look at those items are there other options?
Walter
Mr Zorro
Very amusing but wsa he warm and accomodating?
Indeed Mr Anderson's fine body of works were seen down under starting with Five feather falls, captain Scarlet etc.
LWM
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd recommend a look at Paramo - considered too warm by some, but probably ideal for the depths of the Canadian winter. It's a bit like marmite, not to everyone's taste but those that like it seem to love it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wally, my old man, good to see you on here. Weren't you at one of my recent receptions?
From my experience of visiting the colonies, the locals will tell you to layer up. This is excellent advice. The second thing is that it's never warm enough for rain that time of year, so you would be wasting money which could be spent on sherry, by purchasing the most waterproof materials.
I would suggest that your good lady wife should start with silk thermals, I use a brand called silk-king (rather appropriately), but there is a chappy by the name of Hanson, I believe his friends call him "Helly", and he has been known to produce good quality undergarments.
After that, a microfleece makes an excellent second layer, and then either a fleece jacket with a shell on top, or a padded jacket will do well. Brands such as Fusalp and Tenson provide good quality clothing, and are not quite as common as some of the other brands.

Trust this is of use.

On other matters, I bagged a brace of grouse earlier in the year, it was an excellent trip, but I was surprised not to see you. Perhaps we can meet for a snifter before the Christmas Ball, or perhaps at the New Years one. I still remember how impressed Lady Beryl was with my balls last year.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
H.E. Wear The Fox Hat, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Cool

Point of order - shouldn't it be a brace of grice Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
camelbackman, not the ones I shot!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dear Sir,

Those of us who commonly ski in the North American Colonies generally start with a base layer by, perhaps, Patagonia (capaline) or the rather more risque Hot Chillys. On top of that is commonly layered some variation of fleece (Polartec) although a few of the more stylish ladies might prefere something in wool, by a marvelous chap by the name of Obermeyer. This gentleman also does a fantastic line in outergarments, but personally I prefer to use the Marker brand. I have a few aquaintances who insist that the Coloumbia Titainian line is the best, but really serious skier is usually seen in something by Spyder. Personally I cannot wear that brand of clothing, because each item has a spider imprinted somewhere upon it. For those who really wish to stand out, garments imported from Europe are the current fashion.

I hope that Lady Beryl finds this of some help.

Sincerely yours,

CLP.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Very likely to be B***** cold inn Banff in mid Jan so I would use XCR, fleece, a polalite and a vest type thing. Expect -20 to be typical so a mask might be good. And if you are coming from an Australian summer you might need that 12 gauge after all..!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As a Canadian skier/boarder, I find nothing to work better than layer. Basically, you want something right next to your skin (preferably Lycra or some other such moisture whicking thing), then a long sleeve shirt, then a fleece, then a jacket. The jacket's main function is waterproofing and some warmth, but go for waterproof and sorta warm with warmer layers below. Down = bad idea, bulky and generally not waterproof on the outside. Personally I use a goretex rain-jacket and a but-load of layers on cold days.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Many thanks to all. Lady beryl insists I wear a mask so that should be easy.
Do these spyder and the teutonic obermeyer fellows do something warmish?
May I aske if the down is under a bullet proof shell is that any good?
snow report
Sir,

Both the Spyder fellow, and the teutonic Obermeyer gentleman do do warmish outer garments, and I believe that a whole system (base layer, moisture wicking, fleece, and then outergarment) is available from both. Ones current small charge does ski entirely in Spyder brand clothing, but it may be, because of her tender age (six years old) that she does not feel the bitter cold as much as we somewhat older skiers.

I hope that this is of further help.

I remain, sir, sincerely yours,

CLP.
snow report
You can't wear Spyder or Obermeyer in Europe, you know that don't you...?
snow conditions
Good morrow my Lord,

DB is min nama

Tis late un I'm nee one to beat about the brush, must pop down thee Inn and wet me whistle you see.

Found yee Foxy's silk breeches, outerlayer I believe. http://www.webundies.com/ea91p481.htm

un thee special for yee paddys day
http://www.webundies.com/gs060b2m.htm

Fare thee well

DB
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy