Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzsteinhorn,Stubai Glacier Or Hintertux for skiing in May ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
Myself & girlfriend are looking at a long weekend in mid May (weeken 18/19th) skiing at either Kitzsteinhorn,Stubai Glacier Or Hintertux.
I'm a confident intermediate skier & my girlfriend is a confident blue run skier.
Which glacier would offer the best skiing to suit us both at that time of year ?
Thanks in advance for your opinions.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shades, all three of them are OK in May. All of them have a range of pistes for intermediates. Usually you can ski down to the middle station at Stubai and Hintertux in May as well, so there's quite a range of terrain. Whatever. If I had to choose I'd probably do Hintertux followed by Stubai followed by Kaprun, but I'm sure there are plenty here who would disagree with that Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steilhang wrote:
Shades, all three of them are OK in May. All of them have a range of pistes for intermediates. Usually you can ski down to the middle station at Stubai and Hintertux in May as well, so there's quite a range of terrain. Whatever. If I had to choose I'd probably do Hintertux followed by Stubai followed by Kaprun, but I'm sure there are plenty here who would disagree with that Toofy Grin

No experience of Hintertux but I would say that Subia was definitely better than Kaprun. Much more extensive and varied ski area.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your advice,much appreciated. Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

If I had to choose I'd probably do Hintertux followed by Stubai followed by Kaprun, but I'm sure there are plenty here who would disagree with that
No, I would agree with that.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've done Kaprun three times in May and I actually quite like it. Until early May they normally have the two extra chair lifts running in addition to the main six seater, this makes a big difference, as otherwise you're stuck on the top drag lifts which are all a bit samey. I think a lot depends upon your group. My best times in Kaprun have been with a mixed group of skiers going for a long weekend for an end of season laugh. We've found it pretty cheap (e.g. can recommend good comfortable self-catering flats for about <£20 per night per person). Skiing wise, it will depend upon the conditions. I've had wonderful powder in May, and the ski-routes can provide interesting skiing.

I was in Hintertux early season (early Dec) last season, and really enjoyed that too. More varied/challenging terrain than Kaprun. We were lucky as there was a nice dump, and they opened up other resorts in the valley (like Mayrhofen) early to give us extra options.

Not been to Stubai, so can't comment.

With any late-season glacier skiing you need to accept that the area will be smaller, that the valleys won't be white, and the apres quiet to non-existent. But with the right company, it makes a great way to end the season.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy