Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski season zenith this weekend ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As we go into April does anyone think we have reached the seasonal zenith around about this weekend ?

Snow depths on the upper runs in the Alps are still increasing. Chamonix I note is reporting 430cm on their website (510cm according to the SCGB ). However from this point onward we might expect lower slope depths to start falling back.

In Scotland conditions are generally excellent with large amounts of snow particularly in the west at Glencoe and Nevis range. the pictures being posted on the Scottish snow sports websites are some of the most inspirational I've seen anywhere. Even here in England the Lake District continues to offer quite good skiing on Raise.

The longer range forecast for the UK, after next week, is for a return to cooler conditions so April skiing, and even into May is looking good. I wouldn't rule out some further skiing in the Pennines if we get the forecast showers in the east predicted after next week.

So looking back, the long range forecast from the summer of a poor end to this season is looking quite inacurate. The predictions of above average winter temperatures in the UK has also not delivered the wash out that might otherwise have been expected.

The 2007/08 ski season is turning into a very good one indeed, with quite possibly some of the best spring skiing yet to develop.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter S,

I have no figures, however I reckon Northern Ireland has had a wetter, but colder than average winter. We didn't have any harsh frosts, but certainly had loads more frosts than usual. However it has been really wet. Many fields are still flooded and water logged. Agriculturally speaking it is a very late spring. There is no grass growth yet, usually farmers will apply fertiliser in late Feb/ March, however there has been no point as of yet.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spring is normaly best in Scotland. At Nevis Range my favorate run is skiing from top of summit tow down spider and onto the top of the Goose then catching the tow at tower 4 on spring snow with a blue sky..... Very Happy When all this wintery weather finaly ends I may be able to ski it wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PS out of the 66 ski tows that are able to run in Scotland 57 are due to open tomorrow (5 of the closed lifts are at the Lecht)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It has been a very good season for Austria, France and Switzerland.

Italy, Andorra and Spain have been less lucky.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nope, I was way to early it seems. snowHead

looks like conditions are still building in Scotland and the Alps. Perhaps things will peak this year by early May.

http://www.winterhighland.info/2006/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=471

Why do we all get excited about skiing in October when the season doesn't get properly going for another 6 months snowHead

Skiing is a Spring sport not a winter one !
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
However from this point onward we might expect lower slope depths to start falling back.

Many lower slopes (below 1500m) are already pretty well finished, depending on aspect, and many resorts are closing regardless of snow cover, as the planned closure dates arrive. But yes, the upper slopes are still good. It's not been a very cold winter, at all, but snow has fallen when needed. Now I really wouldn't mind a few days warm spring sunshine, thanks. Looks like they might arrive next week. Our resort (Les Saisies) closes partially tomorrow, and completely a week later.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold wrote:
It has been a very good season for Austria, France and Switzerland.

Italy, Andorra and Spain have been less lucky.

Skiingwise it has been good in France since early March above 1200-1500 meters but Jan/Feb were pretty ropey. Only in a marketing man's wet dream could it be thought of as very good as a whole.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, I'm not an expert or resident but when I was in Tignes in early Jan w/c 13th it was absolutley fantastic better than many Jans I can remember - the snow base was a lot better - having said that I recognize that Feb wasn't as good as was too hot in the later part approaching March. Wish I'd taken my March break later into it rather than March 1 onwards.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
One thing that can be said about this season is that it was long Shocked

Austrian resorts were opening mid-november and while many of them are shut there's still loads of snow high up Blush
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter S wrote:
Skiing is a Spring sport not a winter one !

I kind of agree with you although it varies throughout the world - traditionally though Scotland always seems to have the best conditions in March into early April but many people fail to recognise that and the fact wherever you are in the northern hemisphere March/April will tend to bring the better weather and some excellent conditions if you chose your resort/area with care.

I'm always puzzled by people who hang up their skis/boards at the end of Feb and start going on about next years season - more often than not they're missing out on the best bit!

Anyway, this weekend seems to delivering more superb conditions in Scotland and I'm intending to ski there again in early May so with my season effectively starting in October in Tignes it's been a nice long one for me snowHead snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The best start and end to the season in the 6 winters I've been here. I've done 12 fresh powder days and 2 more expected this coming week. Very Happy Very Happy Expecting a massive come down when they shut the lifts! Sad Sad Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm off to Chamonix for thier last week in May but I really regret not being allowed to go up to Scotland for this excellent season

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/weather/uk_and_roi/article3775931.ece

looks like the Touring is going to continue well into May on the Cairngorm Plateau. Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy