Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Large group - France or Austria...resort? Advice much appreciated

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've been skiing a couple of times (Three Valleys, France) with a small group, staying in a hotel.

I'm trying to organise a large group (around 15 including 3 kids) for the last week of Feb '09.

1. We need either a chalet or self-catering accommodation - not sure which yet...I guess self-catering is much cheaper, but more hassle. Comments gratefully received.

2. We need good access to slopes for all levels. There will be 3 absolute beginners, 3 or 4 intermediate skiers and a couple of advanced. Oh, and one person who wants to do 'ski nordique' in a group - so it must have that possibility too.

3. We need a ski school nearby for beginners and intermediate skiers.

4. There will be a couple of people not sking, so good access to lifts to transport them to cafés in picturesque spots would be good. I suppose they would have to be the kind of lifts you sit inside...'gondolas'?

5. We are coming from different places - London, Lille (Northern France), Mechelen (Belgium), Eindhoven (Southern Netherlands). We need good access to the resort by road or by TGV...or indeed from the airport as those coming from London may choose to fly if Eurostar + TGV is too expensive or not practical.

6. We have a medium-sized budget.

Any advice on which resort might suit our needs will be much appreciated. First of all whether we should choose France or Austria - and second, which resort.

Thanks in advance.

Dan.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
earthdan58, welcome to snowheads. We stayed at Flangsax's place earlier this year and I think it covers all bases you are looking for - not sure about ski nordique like but .....................

B&B and eating out in town is cheap and the food is excellent.

http://www.austrian-adventures.com/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Joe. I'll be sure to check it out. D.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
earthdan58 by 'ski nordique' i assume you mean cross country? If so then Flangsax's place (in heart of ski amade) has masses of cross country on the door step and a little further away is the area of Ramsau and the Dachstein glacier that offer endless cross country, snow walks, ski jumping etc all in breathtaking scenery.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the thumbs-up Smokin Joe, Madeye-Smiley

Just to let you know Radstadt and the direct surrounding areas offers tons of cross-country skiing for both traditional and skate styles. Should Austria have won the olympic bid for 2014 then Radstadt would have hosted all of the cross-country events.

And that beautiful view towards Flachau would have been covered in 1400 mini log cabins to house the Alpine competitors (this bit makes me glad they lost!)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have only skiied in France but had friends who have skiied in Austria. Austria would probably be better for non skiiers as the resorts are usualy pretty villages. My friends went to Obertaurn and had great snow conditions and they said it was good for all abilities, so might be worth a look.

I have stayed in La Plagne, France and i think it provides for Nordique skiing, i saw some people doing it last year. Is good for all levels even if brouchers dont always think so. In a group we have a nervous beginer and la plagne suited them well. There are lots of chalets in la plagne 1800, and some in Plagne centre. There are lots of apartments in the higher villages. However there probably isnt much to do for a non skiier but it might be worth investigating. Also you can get accross to Les Arcs on the cable car which will b re opend in 09, which gives a huge range of skiing.

From England flying to Chambery is easiest and has the shortest transfer. By train i think the nearest station is 'Aime' (or that is what crystal say for the snow train).

Also Alpine elements have chalets for large groups and you can book skiis, passes ect... with them so they might be usufull.

Hope that is usefull!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone - all very useful info. Much appreciated. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
earthdan58, If you decide to go with the France option then we have a chalet that sleeps up to 16 people in Alpe d'Huez that could be ideal for you. We also offer special discounts to Snowheads so have look at our website and get in touch if you are interested snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Katski. I'll have a look at your website. Cheers, Dan.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy