Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

new member, need some help buying skis for my father!

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,
Well, I know everybody isn't too fond of these posts, but here goes anyways. I need to buy some skis for my 50 year old father. I am a snowboarder and know little about buying skis. Unfortunately, demoing(hire, I believe it is known as) some skis is not an option as he doesn't live close to a resort and only skis on vacation. He has been skiing for 25 years and gets in about 7 days per year currently. He is an intermediate skiier that enjoys cruisng the piste only. I would say he needs a nice, forgiving all mountain ski that will last for a number of years. Most of all he is looking to spend about 300-400 USD and wants a respectable name brand ski. I was going to buy from an online site here in the USA. Also, he's 6'2 and 210lbs. From my research I was thinking something in the Atomic Nomad line, Fischer RX, or maybe K2 apache line. Suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 29-03-08 1:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go for the Nomad Blackeye. Lightest ski on the market in it's class, great alround, quite flexable but at the same time very torsionally stiff!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Black BNR32, welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ah yeh welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Black BNR32, Welcome to snowHead For 7 days usage a year, it's probably more cost effective for your father to rent his skis. He'll be able to keep up with the latest kit, and not have the hassle of servicing and transportation.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Black BNR32, renting is probably more cost effective, but it is good to have skis you can call your own.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks for the welcome...renting just isn't going to happen, as he's always owned skis regardless of how often they get used. He definately likes stuff to call his own.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After further research today, how about this: Atomic Nomad Sativa vs Fischer Rx4 vs Fischer rx red heat. Suggestions?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nordica Gransport
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Buying skis is a daft idea for that level of usage. Better to hire the latest and greatest skis each season and he can swap and change to suit the conditions. But if he must buy a pair to admire for 51 weeks of the year, then there are dozens of possibilities. For cruising the pistes I wouldn't bother with anything too wide and stick to piste specific carvers. But not race oriented models. Without a demo it's going to be a guess what he might like, but Fischer are a good bet. The RX series would be better pure piste skis than the slightly wider Heat series, but both should work fine.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RX8 very nice. Looky n try.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the opinions. I agree, hiring would be best, but its just not happening. He has always owned skis and is simply looking to upgrade. At least his closet will look good with skis sitting in there for 51 weeks of th year! I was thinking the RX8 and Nomad Blackeye would be too advanced, but maybe I'm wrong. I'll check into the Nordica Gransport too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Black BNR32, if he's an active, fit, juvenile minded ( Very Happy ) ) 50 year-old, then the RX8 are a hoot. I didn't enjoy the 'Blackeyes' and thought them a bit heavy . . . but it could be that the bindings were too to the rear for my sliding style. But if you're looking at Atomic take a gander at the SX range.

They're a piste ski and don't have the fat shovels and waist of all the skis that try to be 'all-trick' ponies. They have a deep yet well damped flex with immense torsional stiffness that lets them carve gloriously tight turns but as they're reasonably narrow they're lovely and stable in a straight line . . . . and when you just want to bimble around washing the tails out, the flex makes that effortless. They do have the graphics from Hell with this year's being a new low. but if he wants to stay on-piste they are superb.

I ski mine short at 160 for my weight (200 Embarassed ) and they really do turn on a sixpence (when I want them to) but they fly straight and true down a fall-line red. In 182 they are much stiffer and have to be worked harder to turn a quickly but still great fun. Go slightly short and they'll give him great fun for many years . . . as long as he doesn't want to play in the powder . . . for that, buy him a board Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Black BNR32, I'm 54 (nearly) ... RX8s , and I wont be as good as your as Dad so definitely not too advanced ...easiest ski I've found yet ..
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Black BNR32, hi. If it isn't a really silly question, why are you, as a snowboarder, trying to choose skis for your father who is obviously a keen skier with quite firm ideas about things???
ski holidays
Black BNR32, The Nomad Blackeye is an easy going ski, and with all due respect to the others in this thread, Black BNR32, didn't ask whether it is a good idea to buy skis rather than rent or leave it up to his Dad, he just asked .... what skis to buy for his Dad.

Black BNR32, I've skiied Nomads and XRCs and would advise both for groomed piste use.
latest report
I'm choosing skis for him because I enjoy learing about the technology and I'm alot better versed in online buying (he's technologically challenged lol). Also, he doesn't have the time to shop around for a good deal and figure out what suits him best. Thanks, I'll keep looking!
ski holidays
Black BNR32, where does he ski? might be worth finding that out before making a purchase. If it's in the US, then it might be worth asking the question over on the epicski forums where most US based skiers spend their online time.

For that kind of money, i'd suggest buying a pair of this/last years at a discount rather than going for a cheaper pair of next seasons models.

Something like the Fischer AM73 might be ideal and would offer a light weight ski that really grips on the groomers but will also handle a day where there's lots of fresh snow around (you can have a bit of powder on piste as well).

http://www.proctorjones.com/pjonline/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=Fischer+AMC+73+Ski&pf_id=124&dept_id=10610

or something like these

http://www.proctorjones.com/pjonline/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=Rossignol+Z5+Ski+System&pf_id=078&dept_id=11430

I had a day on K2 Apache Crossfire a season ago and really enjoyed them on piste. Very quick edge to edge and really enjoyed putting power into them. They'll cruise fine but really come alive when the effort is put in to get more power out of them. Nice and smooth ski though.

Good deal on them here.

http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/K2-Apache-Crossfire-System-18370.asp

Go for something in the 180cm length on either of those skis.

Remember though, lots of people will have lots of different opinions on what they think your dad might, nor not, like to ski. Better to get him to try before buying... this isn't always possible when you're after the sort of deals above though.

Very Happy
latest report
snowbunny wrote:
Black BNR32, Welcome to snowHead For 7 days usage a year, it's probably more cost effective for your father to rent his skis. He'll be able to keep up with the latest kit, and not have the hassle of servicing and transportation.

Not sure this is right in the US where driving to your ski resort is common and rentals can run $50 a day for a decent ski in resort while end of season prices now are 50% off MRSP.
ski holidays
Picked up some Fischer red heats for the old man. Thanks everybody.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy