Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton - would you bother going, given the the forecast for next week?

Poster: A snowHead
Have a look here. St Anton is a low resort (1304m). Forecast looks dire. I'd appreciate guesses from regular St Anton goers about what the skiing is likely to be like. My guess is washed out until at least halfway up the mountain - and slushy most other places pretty early - but I'd like some advice from those who have been there in similar conditions. I'd be chucking over £1k already committed if I don't go. OTOH if there is no point, there is no point.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There will be plenty of great skiing to be had, including some fresh snow (at least on the upper slopes) at the start of the week I'd guess. I think you'd be mad not to go.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, I'm trying to remember how extensive the upper slopes are, actually. The thought of ploughing all the way there for nobbut skiing does not appeal much. OTOH if there is quite a lot we could be bimbling about, well, that's another matter. One problem is that it's a week with the ski school - so it may be difficuolt to control where we go. Beginning to wish I'd opted for the EOSB.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles, I also think you would be mad not to go. There may be some slushy areas later in the day, but it really doesn't look like a complete disaster. You have St Anton, Lech & Zurs to go at so will definitely be able to find some decent skiing. Certainly not worth wasting £1k by cancelling.

We were in Schladming in the first week of March 07, and temps in the afternoon were as high as 18 degrees. We skied Schladming 3 days, but also went snow hunting in Flachau, Zauchensee and on the Dachstein glacier and still had a fab time, including some fresh off-piste in Zauchensee, so despite all signs to the contrary, it was still a week to remember for all the right reasons (if a little surreal to be sat by the river in a T-shirt eating ice-creams instead of huddling into an apres ski bar to warm up!).

They say a bad day on the piste is better than a good day in the office! And there's nothing to say it will be truly bad...

D
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
achilles wrote:
[One problem is that it's a week with the ski school - so it may be difficuolt to control where we go.

All the more reason to go. You don't need to have much terrain available to have a great week in ski school.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
achilles wrote:
[One problem is that it's a week with the ski school - so it may be difficuolt to control where we go.

All the more reason to go. You don't need to have much terrain available to have a great week in ski school.

Quite, and the ski school will be up to the minute on where the best conditions are for what you are doing that day...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles, don't go, you'd be mad to, it'll be rubbish.....how much is it for a name change? wink Seriously, it'll be fine, I've been to St Anton 3 weeks later than this with a lot less snow. Had a great time. It was ski in a t-shirt weather too.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Grimsby Ranger, were the freezing levels that high (as my link) when you went? Still packing - but haven't booked a car park slot yet.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles, oh yes, it was boiling, like skiing in the med. Too hot actually, the biggest problem was trying to not get my head burnt. We could even get down to the village, where the locals were cutting grass Shocked , though it was down white ribbons of death snowHead .

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles,

Go! I was in St Anton a few years ago late in March and it was so warm that the highland cattle in the field outside our hotel in Nasserein were wearing highland shirts and drinking pina coladas. The skiing was still OK on the higher slopes and particularly good in Lech'n'Zurs.

Have a good one!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Grimsby Ranger, and Trenmold - OK, I'm sold - though with the forecast rain, I wonder of the white ribbons of death will still be there. Thanks for getting back to me. As rob@rar suggests there could still be value from the ski school - and if the worst comes to the worst, I can always break away to a glacier resort, I suppose.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles, a couple of pics in the mountains and one at the village to show you the difference, get yourself there you nutter wink .

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just remember the forcasters do not always get it right and it is a week away
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good god with weather like that why bother to live!
Looking at the SCBG forecast it looks rather like the forecast before last week and that turned out reasonably well (best snow for years etc?) some sun, plus snow falling at upper and mid level. There is lots of high skiing, what are you worried about.
365cm of snow at upper level and 65 cm in resort will take a while to melt anyway - regardless of any additional man-made snow and the new snow at all levels expected today!
Perhaps there might be some slush low down you poor thing (any chance of you donating your tickets?)

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 28-03-08 17:56; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
St Anton / Lech has some of the best skiing in the world.

St Anton has some of the deepest snow in the Alps right now.

Everywhere is white. Top to bottom.

There may even be some untouched pow in Lech. The oldies who go there rarely venture offpiste.

Do it.

Just be prepared for more cloud than sun.
snow report
We await your report when you get back, telling us how good it was.
snow conditions
achilles, remember Les Deux Alpes 2 years ago? I seem to remember you having the same nerves then, and then having a great holiday. wink
latest report
GO...!
latest report
I SAID GO...!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 28-03-08 18:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
...........The oldies who go there rarely venture offpiste.........

Trouble is, I am with the oldies Shocked

Anyway, car park booked. Tallyho.
snow report
Kramer, er yes. But there was a glacier, and I had easiski beating me around the ears Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Forecast, doesn't look that bad? It was +12 @1800m in Livigno in Feb and we still had great conditions all week.
snow conditions
Don't forget St Anton's best kept secret - Stuben.

Damn I've given it away!

Seriously though if you want off piste in particular the Albona above Stuben is north facing and I have had great skiing there on numerous occasions.
latest report
achilles, I was on the trip with Grimsby Ranger, and I can assure you that it was a blast. It was MUCH hotter then they are forecasting for next week, but still loads of snow up the hill!! Very Happy
snow conditions
SteveKirby, snowheads T shirts packed - tick!
snow conditions
achilles, good man wink . Don't worry about what's happening in the resort, just think of the new snowfall higher up to enjoy. As mentioned don't forget the report when you get back, and plenty of pics snowHead .
snow conditions
30 yrs in Arlberg , I am not worried. Very Happy
ski holidays
Oooo! It's looking better Madeye-Smiley

Floppy sun hat for skiing in. Tick!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, If I decide to kill you and bring my own gun do the bullets come free ...?
snow conditions
BTW the post above is tongue in cheek .... I don't own a gun Twisted Evil
ski holidays
achilles, you can't be serious! It takes a surprisingly long time for warmer weather to turn a fantastic base into slush. And it's been pretty cold recently. Colder than January was. And as easyski has demonstrated so well, so often, you don't need 500 miles of pistes and perfect snow conditions to have a great lesson. In fact, when I was trying without much success to get some turns in off piste yesterday, I wished she was with me to show me how to do it. A few days ago, when it was all nice and fluffy, it was much easier.
latest report
achilles, looking even better now with some lower temps and fresh snow. I was there last week of last season and the best boarding for the afternoon was on Rendl, the main Galzig accessed slopes were soft and cut up by 10.30 ish, so we tended to head over to rendl which is just a walk or few minute bus ride away. The also maintained skiing back to the resort so it was fine. As you know, spring conditions are, never the less, spring conditions though

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/St-Anton/6day/mid
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
St Anton - would you bother going, given the the forecast for next week?

What's the forecast for next week - compulsory lederhosen and Sound of Music singalongs on all ski lifts?
latest report
I'm going Toofy Grin Staying in Pettneu for a week starting tomorrow. If you don't go then I will never let you forget just how wonderful it was Razz
This is the BEST time of year to hit St.Anton by the way. The Easter crowds are gone cos the kiddies are back in school, the firn snow is (usually) great, and you can usually ski absolutely everywhere. Probably OK down to the valley as well. What are you worrying about Puzzled
snow conditions
Very warm in Terminal 2 just now. Have already met my room mate for the week. Seems human - always a good start.
latest report
achilles, have a lovely time. But aren't you too good a skier for this holiday? (I'm guessing you're on a Freshtracks one, it's one I contemplated.) One thing I discovered from the last one I did was that the Ski Club doesn't have equal groups according to ability, it just fills up spaces willy-nilly, so the risk is finding oneself in a group that's too good (which was my problem) or not good enough (more likely to be your problem.) Anyway, I hope it's fun. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Hey, I went to Lech at the beginning of March and it was raining. Two days later the temps had dropped 20 degrees and we had loads of snow. 24 hours is a long time in the mountains. Head up the Trittkopf in Zurs for great snow. And don't forget Stuben.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
the Ski Club doesn't have equal groups according to ability, it just fills up spaces willy-nilly

That's complete crap. Holidays are advertised at a given level, and it is expected that people on them are at that level or above. If you're above the advertised level then you should not be miffed if you have to ski down to the level advertised. If you're not up to the minimum advertised level you should expect to be kicked off the course and make your own arrangements (this is one of the booking conditions - and happened on one I was on last weekend). Within holidays there are normally multiple groups formed, normally split according to level within those advertised. If you find you're in a group above the lowest one and you're out of your depth then ask to be put down a group. The only problem comes if you have a wide advertised ability range, but a small number of participants, which makes getting homogeneous groups difficult. I've been on a few trips with only one group, and there have been no problems. That holiday is billed as R+S+P, so achilles should have a group of his ability in that. And as it's an instructional holiday, rather than a mileage one, even if there aren't enough to make proper narrow range groups, a good teacher should be able to find terrain/exercise variations that can stretch both ends of the group at the same time.
snow report
achilles wrote:
Very warm in Terminal 2 just now. Have already met my room mate for the week. Seems human - always a good start.
Just be glad it's not terminal 5 Confused
snow conditions
Steilhang, Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy