Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Storage Wax

Poster: A snowHead
Taking it off-what I need? Not urgent, skis are at terminal 5 in Heathrow:(Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scrape with a straight piece of plastic, maybe brush with stiff nylon scrubing brush.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hang on - do you mean how do you take the wax off before storing? The answer is that you don't, you need to put wax on before storing skis, it protects both the bases and the edges.

When you eventually find your skis then scrape off the old wax as above, then reapply a hot wax layer over the base and edges. Attach a label to the skis and write down the binding setting, then unwind the bindings completely. When you are ready next time, scrape off the excess wax, particularly the edges and buff with the brush, reset the bindings.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is there anything wrong with putting on a coat of whatever wax you normally use then just not scraping till next season?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Swirly, no. Except that the whatever wax is likely to be more expensive and harder to scrape than storage wax.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I realise the answer to this is probably “six of one, half dozen of the other”, but here goes:

Should I

A) apply storage wax and pack my skis away in a nice, dark, cool, dry place for the summer, then take them in for a pre-season tune in the fall, or
B) take them in for a post-season tune now before packing them away?

The edges need sharpening, and I have a few gouges that ought to be dealt with. I P-Texed the worst of them over the season, but a stone grind might by in order.

Is there any reason why one option is better than the other?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are the shops busy?
This time of year B) is clearly the best option in the US, done overnight or quicker.

If the major part of 'tune' is 'check binding release function' and not 'do work on edges and bases' then clearly (A).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
comprex, but cheaper than buying storage wax given I'm going to put the normal stuff on at the start of next season anyway.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Swirly, seems a bit tight, skimping on a finger width's worth of paraffin.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ami in berlin, thinking only aout the bases themselves then I'd go for getting them waxed now.

My local ski tech (has done work with the GB ski team, his daughter was a GB slalom racer) advocates a cleaning wax and scrape then storage waxing on a couple of counts:
- if the bases are dry already then having them waxed before storage will prevent any further drying out.
- any dirt and chemicals caught in the bases (especially any additives used in man made snow) will be pulled out now rather than having time to fester. He says that he has prepped skis left since last season for cusomers and the muck etc. can pop and spit when the iron is applied, which can't have been good for the bases.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Jane L but I am not naive enough to scrape off the wax before storage. Just scrape off storage wax before skiing-they were waxed for transit from Banff back to Scotland. Want to get some Scotland skiing time now I am home. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jane L wrote:
.....Attach a label to the skis and write down the binding setting, then unwind the bindings completely.....

No need to do that with modern bindings.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jmdohanlon wrote:
....He says that he has prepped skis left since last season for cusomers and the muck etc. can pop and spit when the iron is applied, which can't have been good for the bases.

Very true. Best to hot scrape clean & then apply your storage wax. I don't apply storage wax to my own skis but then they're kept at a nice constant room temp as opposed to in a loft or basement. Also want to be able to use them at Xscape during the off-season.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Reviving this old thread in an attempt to consolidate the info needed for this newbie ski owner.

Just got back from my final ski trip of the season. Have new skis that have seen only 7 days of skiing. They were last waxed on Monday for warm, slushy conditions. Not much wax left of them.
Do I just scrape the bases with a straight-edged scraper, brush with a nylon pad/stiff brush, then apply a thick layer of ski wax to bases and edges? I can't seem to find specific 'storage' wax so assuming any ski wax will do?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Zero-G, hot wax with a cheap wax and scrape it off whilst warm, this will then clean the bases. Then apply normal layer of el cheapo wax and leave that on.
ski holidays
Quote:

especially any additives used in man made snow

there were a lot of signs around our area this season emphasizing that artificial snow was just made of water and air - presumably because people had been worrying about additives. How widespread is the use of additives? (There were also signs in Areches Beaufort stressing that no electricity had been used, either).

Come to that, I scarcely remember the cannons running this year - there was plenty of the genuine stuff.

We just put a good coat of normal wax on for the summer, and then let the snow scrape it off on the first two runs. Should I be lucky enough to hit big pile of fresh powder on the first two runs, I'd scrape it off before. But not otherwise. Lazy, me???
latest report
pam w, You get a lot of muck in old snow at the end of the season, it is worth doing a hot scrape before putting on storage wax.
ski holidays
I don't understand - why bother with storage wax? Why not just prep the skis for their next outing so they'll be ready for use when wanted? That's what has been done with mine which are now languishing in the corner of the dining room.
ski holidays
Butterfly wrote:
I don't understand - why bother with storage wax?

In theory to stop the bases drying out and to leave a layer on the edge to prevent rusting
latest report
What if my skis are brand new? Do I need to prepare them for the summer or just store and wait for the winter?

Cheers
snow report
Kersh wrote:
What if my skis are brand new? Do I need to prepare them for the summer or just store and wait for the winter?

Cheers

read down the bottom of spyderjons site, the bit entitled

Quote:
This step for new skis only

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/22/34/
snow conditions
I use candle wax to store my ski's. It's cheap and comes off easy when needed for the next time, just remember to turn your iron down.
snow report
Butterfly wrote:
I don't understand - why bother with storage wax? Why not just prep the skis for their next outing so they'll be ready for use when wanted? That's what has been done with mine which are now languishing in the corner of the dining room.

That's what I do... just postpone the scrape and brush bit. Then next season they are almost ready to go.
latest report
Thanks all, off to buy a scraper and wax. It's a lovely sunny day so may spend the morning on the roof terrace prepping my skis for summer storage.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy