Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ronald throws himself down a mountain...

Poster: A snowHead
In the tradition started by Megamum and skisimon and thanks to the Video edited out and uploaded by Axsman... Video is not ideal, but its the best material that exists of me Wink

Here is the first half of my first run of the MSB race.

http://youtube.com/v/K6NX9CEReKE

Any comments welcome!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's a good bit of footage - you can see the ski's very clearly. It all looks A-OK to me, as I said to skisimon you all seem to be able to ski better than me - I hope that the slope for the race in April isn't quite that steep.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum,
Quote:

you all seem to be able to ski better than me

Since Ronald came first and skisimon came second in the MSB race, that's probably not surprising.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hurtle, Ah, I hadn't appreciated that fact - that explains why they both look so brilliant.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, more speed doesn't necesarily mean better technique Wink

When I saw skisimon throwing himself down the course my first thought was "this Kramer bloke is full of it" (calling me a favourite the days before the race)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ronald, You look bloody good to me mate - respect ! Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I like the long outside leg at the third blue gate.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So... I see.. dragging my pole in the snow on the inside of the turns... (knew that already)
Rotation into the turn from the shoulders/upper body (Wengenitisch? Normal?)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ronald wrote:

I'm no expert, and it's a very short video clip, but I think less upper body rotation and more angulation would carry more speed through the curve. I think the upper body rotation will have the effect of losing you edge angle when you want to be increasing it. Maybe keep your upper body quieter and squarer to your skis and focus on a good crossover?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Bit to much movment you need to keep the upper body stiff and seperate it from you legs! Angulation would serve you much better and enable you to hold a more effective edge. May also need to get forward and into the turn a little more at initiation

Great video though and very impresive keep up the good work
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
get your hands out of your pockets

plus what rob@rar said (he's an instructor you know wink )
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ronald wrote:

Normal, yes. Good, no. snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
looks good and i am guessing was a bit icy at the top... wink

perhaps too much inner ski tip lead, you are in an awkward upper body position in that your legs are scissoring a lot in the first turn with your inner leg forward but you inner shoulder lagging quite a bit while reaching around with the outside hand. THis causes a lot of rotation and is hurting your edge engagement. THink about reaching your Inner arm forward and going around the corner first. also try to square up both tips by drving your outside leg forward as you get into the gate...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Hips forward. Shoulders up.

EDIT: worry about the rest later.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 28-03-08 14:17; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So the rotation is definetly Wengenite. easiski was already rather suprised to see it so much in Wengen...
They tought me this rolling eyes during the internal training last year and that was one of the highest qualified instructors of the school... Shocked
Time to unlearn!

Angulation is a very useful tip along with the video material.

skimottaret, we had a few inches of fresh the night before the race, I didn't experience the slope as icy... but then, i'm skiing race-dept Stoeckli slaloms there.
The only 2 awkward bits were the exit from the startgate (Very rough and icy, exit straight, quick turn to the right for the first gate)
and a very very soft un- or barely pisted section behind the liftmast (3-4 seconds after the video ends)

Quote:
THink about reaching your Inner arm forward and going around the corner first.

We been very explicitely doing that during the MSB-Telemark session... should be able to try this....

Quote:
drving your outside leg forward as you get into the gate...

Won't this upset forward/backward balance easily?
Should there be a deeper flex on the inside leg (less urge to bring it forward that way?)
snow report
Ronald, the icy bits i referrred to was the top gate as you looked a bit tentative wink but you got stuck into it well further on...

Quote:

Won't this upset forward/backward balance easily?

as comprex points out you are in the back seat straight away and your weight is already back. work on getting feet, hips and shoulders square and use more angulation at the hip to go around the corners faster. THis should improve your balance in all planes not upsetting fore/aft.

I dont think you need to increase flex on the inner leg, if anything the inner leg looks a bit weak to me initially.
latest report
comprex wrote:
Hips forward. Shoulders up.

Completely disagree. Yes, you are a bit back, but that's the wrong solution. Actually, on that course with those skis, as a half-decent skier Wink , you should be in a tuck from halfway to the first gate for as just about as long as we see you (but you should probably be on GS not SL skis). You do though need to be a bit more flexed at the ankles, to get the weight further forward on the skis, but you're already standing plenty tall enough. You need that range of movement to ride out bumps etc and extend into the turn. Stand any taller and you've nowhere to go. Generally a bit more progressive extension/flexion on the legs would not go amis (I think you could be shortening the inside leg a load more to get better angles), although the last turn we see looks pretty good. Actually, it looks as if you're doing a bit of a pop at the transition (particularly setting for the first gate) and then sinking into the turn. Should be the other way around - extend the legs into the turn, and then allow them to fold up a bit as you come out of it, so absorbing the pressure buildup. I spent years doing it the other way around too rolling eyes .

Agree that the leading with the outside shoulder is completely wrong (and easiski was bending my ear about that loads last night Wink ) - you should be at most square to the skis (there was a good description from veeeight a year or two back, ah here it is) - your shoulders should be pretty much square to your hips, and point in the direction your body's travelling, so on large radius turns you'll be virtually square to the skis, and on slalom, where you're legs are doing their pendulum thing with a quiet upper body, you'll be pointing pretty much down the hill.

Get that inner arm up from by your hip and into your line of sight, then start pushing it towards the gate (as this is GS) as you extend the outside leg and it'll all come together.

You're also giving the gates about 2m too much space Wink .
snow report
My conclusion from all this is that anyone who posts their own ski vids is very, very, VERY brave!
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
My conclusion from all this is that anyone who posts their own ski vids is very, very, VERY brave!

Not really, all comments are useful. Shouldn't be afraid of people analyzing your performance.
ski holidays
Quote:

is very, very, VERY brave

or looking to improve from peer review...
latest report
As long as the analysis is constructive there is no need to worry about what will be said
ski holidays
skimottaret, it's not either/or.
rob@rar, maybe shouldn't be, but lots would be.
Put me down as a shrinking violet...
latest report
Hurtle, best way to improve. Don't take your preconceptions or your ego up the hill.
snow report
rob@rar, I'm sure. It's not a question of preconceptions or ego, it's just that offering myself up for inspection by 11,000 people doesn't come naturally. I wouldn't post a large close-up photo of myself either. But enough, this is totally off-topic. Sorry.
snow report
OK it's usual to pull up photos of a WC skier from Ron LeMaster's site at this point, but these are a bit more realistic. They are SL rather than GS, but are good examples of what you're aiming for Wink .

ski holidays
GrahamN, steady now...
snow report
lets compare the anonymous wink skier in red with Ronald,

going into the gate the red skier has his inner shoulder forward, knees, feet and shoulders in line and a good level of angulation at the hips. The skis have a large edge angle and are biting hard into the snow, "loading" energy into the ski.

Ronald has his outer foot lagging a lot and inner shoulder lagging and has little edge angle going into the turn. the skis arent engaged with the snow.
latest report
Longer outside leg.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Inside hand dropping back, especially on left hand arcs. Watch for you hands staying in your peripheral vision all the time.
snow report
Oh, and here's one of our anonymous skier doing GS (albeit 3+ years old)

Pretty much the same characteristics identified by skimottaret. Again, great edge engagement with the snow and good angles, reasonably well-matched inside and outside. Definite suspicion of a bit too much pressure on the inside ski (look at the plume of snow from it), but pretty good overall. Note in particular the way the upper body is being propelled into the turn with a strong, but flexed, position at the core and hips, giving plenty of opportunity for corrections as required, and leading with the inside shoulder. In the SL pictures above this inside shoulder lead is not so pronounced, as the cross-block does tend to bring the outer shoulder round, until you get to FIS+ performance levels. Also as this is a higher speed, longer radius turn, the body is more inclined rather than angulated.
ski holidays
GrahamN, Out of curiosity is this part of a video sequence ? It's hard to tell from the still but I've a suspicion that the inside ski is pressured because the outside one has momentarily broken away.
snow report
david@mediacopy, I suspect so - but we'd really have to ask our "anonymous skier" Wink .
snow report
david@mediacopy, yes it is a still capture, and the outside ski may well have broken away although there was a lot of loose snow on the course that day so even a little bit of inside ski pressure tended to kick up a small plume. Here's another one showing some snow kicking up from the inside ski:

snow conditions
rob@rar, What made me think was the apparent path of the o/s ski and the angle of the leg - I've seen similar in a video of my own Sad

The second pic looks sweet. My only thought would be the line ?
latest report
david@mediacopy, yeah, the line was hopeless. I took the scenic route most runs. In my defence I think that was the first time I'd skied gates - it was a real eye-opener. The next gate this happened:

What fun, eh? Smile
snow conditions
rob@rar, now I was going to keep quite about those Laughing Laughing . You need to stop being so self-effacing Wink
snow report
Spectacular !

I ran gates for the first time last November. On the video run it felt like I was going 10,000mph but on play back it looked like I was out for a Sunday stroll, smooth as you like rolling eyes

Good fun in hind sight (rose tinted spec's and all!) but it's a total "head" game for sure...........
snow report
Quote:

On the video run it felt like I was going 10,000mph

snap
snow conditions
rob@rar, Laughing snowHead . Thankyou, that has to be the best series of pictures I´ve seen for a long time. I hate to think what happened the first time I skied gates... oh yes, I straddled a slalom pole. Shocked
snow report
skisimon, glad you enjoyed them Smile There is another one in the series of me lying in the snow looking pitiful, but I thought I'd spare my blushes and not post that one. I hate straddling: it all happens so suddenly - one moment skiing hard looking a gate or two ahead, the next moment your ski is ripped off and you're flying down the course backwards. Not nice.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy