Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Scotland

Poster: A snowHead
There are loads of threads about snowriding up there, but I haven't found what I want to know! Which is:-
Which of the Scottish resorts is the easiest to get to on public transport (and following on from that, how do I get there)?

I'm thinking of going up 3rd - 6/7 April while OH is in US, and I don't want to drive or fly. Any suggestions? Anyone fancing coming with me?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
vetski, Guessing that Nevis will be the easiest, by getting the train to Fort William (think there is an overnight sleeper service), then use the bus/taxi/hitch options.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
there used to be a East coast line train direct to Aviemore that I caught many moons ago on a student railcard...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
vetski, There are trains to Aviemore - base town for Cairngorm and Fort William- base town for Nevis Range. There are buses from the town to the ski centre in each case its less than 10miles so a taxi would be £10ish.
Easyjet fly from Luton and Gatwick to Inverness (about 30miles from aviemore).
Or fly to Glasgow and bus to fort william or aviemore. Glencoe is a drive to resort and is about 90 mins drive from glasgow. Don't know much about access to Glenshee or Lecht as I don't ski there much but Glencoe, Cairngorm and Nevis have the best snow at the moment anyway snowHead

HTH a few options for you.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all, will check these out. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nevis or CairnGorm. If your in London the ScotRail Sleepers are a possible option, see www.firstscotrail.com . If you can sleep anywhere, the seated sleeper option is cheaper (substantially so if you get an apex ticket). Apex tickets used to be any ticket bought 7days in advance, but now its tickets bought 2 days in advance up to a certain quota, so act sooner if you want to go for this option.

Alternatively if you really can sleep anywhere and want to do it as cheap as possible overnight NationalExpress coaches go from London to Inverness and stop in Aviemore.

The sleeper is a great way to travel though, and remember the cost of it can be offset by saving two nights accommodation and you can make the travelling part of your break rather than a chore to get through. The 2 or 3 cafe-bar cars on the train help as well! Toofy Grin

There is an hourly bus service from Aviemore to CairnGorm and there is a bus service from Fort William to Nevis Range, though I'm not sure how often it runs.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some travel details Here
Can't see any bus timetables but Highland Country Buses on 01397 702373 certainly do Fort William to Nevis (at least I'm assuming it takes you to the Gondola and not just the nearest point on the main road - you'd have to check).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ta all, I've checked out the train to Aviemore - it's cheaper to fly to GVA! - and I'm almost a go...just have to make sure of somewhere to kip first! Any B&B recs appreciated. Have only found Cairngorm Guest House and Ravenscraig so far, but will keep looking.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
vetski, If I stay in Aviemore I often stay here http://www.cairngorm.com £50 b&b for a single but has a lively bar and the breakfast is good.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glenmore lodge http://www.glenmorelodge.org.uk/ do B&B and you'd be very close to the ski resort. I've not tried it though. I stayed at Loch Insh watersports - 25.50 per night and it was pretty good, but not really suitable for public transport. There is a motel at the stupid new roundabout at the bottom of the ski road http://www.highrange.co.uk/lodge_hotel.htm which looks good, but again I've not stopped there.

If in Fort William LochVeiw B&B were good (http://www.lochview.co.uk) its where most of the snowheads stayed over easter. Not sure if its open for the dates you want.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Personally I prefer Nevis (and Glencoe), but that is largely because of the back corries and a dislike of snow fences.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For Cairngorm Insch Hall is great and very cheap, south of Aviemore, just outside Kincraig by the waters of Loch Insh - fantastic breakfast there.

I'd second Dave Horsley in mentioning LochView for Fort William, was one of those who stayed there over Easter weekend (if you go do mention to them that you come from the same forum as the lot who were there over Easter - you never know if we keep this up they might eventually offer a Snowheads discount Toofy Grin )
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
People seem to be forgetting Vetski is on public transport so needs to be in Aviemore or on the road to the slopes.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, alea iacta est, as Caesar is reported to have said - I've booked my rail tickets on the sleeper to Aviemore. It's not only exciting because it's more skiing, but it will also be the first time I've ever been to Scotland! Very Happy I'll be posting a general msg to any snowHeads in the area, esp if they know the ski areas & fancy showing me around...so if any of you are going there 4-6 April, let me know! Don't know where I'm staying yet (II, your nice-sounding suggestion is all booked up!), but I'll sort that later. Thanks for all the planning help! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For your accommodation, try
http://www.visitscotland.com/sitewide/bookaviemore
ski holidays
vetski, Cool, only day I can do is Sunday 6th but I've only been to Cairngorm once this season and need an excuse to go back across snowHead
latest report
I should be skiing at Cairngorm that weekend, given decent weather. Saturday I'll be in the ski area, Sunday i'll probably be on (or leading) a mountain tour with HNSC so if conditions are good (ie no low cloud so I don't have to do any difilult navigation) we'll probably skin up and head straight over the back - the Huntly crowd won't want to buy a ticket if we're going over the back. Me, I'd use my season ticket and head up the train or tows to the top before heading over the back. Given good conditions I'll probably head straight over to Ben Macdui and then back possibly via Lurchers. Nice easy tour, not too steep and little or no avalanche risk. At some time I'd like to ski down to Loch Avon, as I've never done it, but its a lot steeper with more potential for avalanches.
snow report
The decision on where to ski is simple. Glencoe & Nevis have the best skiing by a long long way this season and are only 1 hour apart. Base in Fort William and ski both. See pictures in Winterhighland.info or higland-instinct.co.uk

I have skied both in the past week.
snow conditions
handyman, it's more of an access question - so I'll be based in Aviemore. Fort William-side another time, hopefully.
II, have managed to get a room at the Cairngorm Hotel - I'll pm you my mobile number so you can maybe give me a call on Fri/Sat to let me know what your plans are.

Am now going to post on the Scotland thread in resorts. I'm getting all excited about this ski opportunity, even though I might have to take my laptop do some work! Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy