Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isere late Feb (pics)

Poster: A snowHead

I thought this photo on Charvet deserved to be seen - Nigel S. about to join the rest of us in a couloir.

6 of us were in Val d'Isere in late Feb, before the snow. We were based in Bourg St Maurice for 8 days, 6 of them guided by Chris Harrup who found us some great, north facing steeps plus other slopes warmed by the sun.

This was the entry over the top of Bellcote onto the Cul du Nant glacier before a long, scenic descent and

this is us part way down the Cairn couloir on the Bellcote North Face. About 1,600 vertical, I think. The top 350 metres start at 45º and gradually reduce to 40º according to the Paradiski off piste book, so no photos of the top part - we were too busy skiing it -unless someone else (Cedric/Horizon?) sends me some.

Here we are about to enter the Vallonet (no need for the small jump, we just felt like it).

But the Malpasset gorge was impassable (big holes into the river) so here we are part way down, as planned, about to climb up to the summer path.

We also did some good descents from the back of Aiguille Rouge and Grand Col at Les Arcs and other fun things in Tigne and Val such as the Table d'Orientation couloir on Bellevarde and Lavancher down from Solaise.

Here is a beautifully made igloo we found when skinning in the Pramecou area, complete with sunken entrance and bed platform with 2 deck-chairs and various other belongings inside.

Despite the lack of new snow a good time was had by all.
(photos by Costin) Click on pics to enlarge.

I'll add to this if I get more photos.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 27-03-08 16:07; edited 10 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowball, Malpasset avec big holes...no problem...

one of the scariest things I've done on skis.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hope you had sharp edges!!!
I think we were there about the 28th Feb, how about you?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cool! Thanks for sharing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowball, wow, I have no issues whatsoever with heights but you wouldn't get me in the position of the first photo Shocked

Thanks for posting these they're fantastic.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
that traverse certainly does look bony.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
waynos, Shocked great photo but so not for me! Laughing Not sure I'd be too happy if I was where the skier was in photo 1 of the OP either!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowball, by the way that first photo is fantastic. wish I was there! Where did you ski in the Pramecou area? Did the north face descent off Pramecou, one of the best steep faces I've done.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
THe second photo scares me more than the first. Thanks david Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball, Does Nigel S. ski roughly the route shown here

Shocked Cool :He's Very Good:
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't like either photo one or two!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gosh they are a little on the fierce side.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PisteHead, no, that is too steep: he goes further left first (off the edge of the picture) - If you saw the bit to the left it wouldn't look so bad.waynos I've skied the north face of the Grande Balme from the summit before, but after exploring the igloo we were too short on time (to catch the last lift to return to Val d'Isere) to climb up to the top, so we joined it further down.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 27-03-08 19:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, I'm just wondering where that was taken. Is it off the top of Solaise, under the ropes, and straight down towards piste 'L'?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think I preferred the look of the nice warm, cosy igloo than that opening shot Shocked
snow report
snowball, I aspire to ski such things and have the talent to do so.
snow report
snowball, waynos, Cool pics. Good stuff.
snow conditions
Does that mean we can expect your epic Engelberg pics by May Wink
latest report
Nice shots, the traverse looks horrible....

we were in the area the same week, not the best conditions really!
snow report
Looks pretty good over there. Why am I sitting in this stinky office.. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
kitenski, Very Happy
Well, this time I didn't take a camera so I'm relying on the kindness (and time scale) of friends Embarassed
However we didn't get taken down such steep stuff by Fredi, our Engelberg guide - though lots of it was moderately steep. Not sure if this represented his caution or what was avalanche safe with the new snow. I did ask if we could do some steeps but it didn't seem to change things. Mind you, the powder and fresh-tracks were stupendous, so there are some good photos out there despite frequently skiing in cloud and bad visibility. However the most spectacular run (Galtiberg) which was the least tracked of the lift served runs (though ending a couple of miles down the road) was in bad visibility both times we did it.

norris, I don't go on the TG site very often but I saw your splendid TR .

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 28-03-08 10:06; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
snowball, its on here also in the trip reports section.
snow report
Oh, right Embarassed
Though we went back on the Saturday, so missed the main new snow.
We were based in Bourg St Maurice intending to ski mostly Les Arcs and La Plagne off-piste which I hardly know, but the best snow - such as it was -was up in Val d'Isere/Tignes so we were contantly doing long drives up in the guide's van.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 28-03-08 10:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
snowball, yes the snow got alot better from the sunday.....

we wanted to do some stuff down the valley, but as you say high and north was the best!
snow report
Swirly wrote:
you wouldn't get me in the position of the first photo Shocked

He was about to ski down when someone spotted how good he looked silhouetted against the sky. So he had to ballance there while a couple of cameras were got out. I reckon he's pleased with the photo, though. Very Happy
snow report
Bump for some awesome photos.
latest report
snowball, great shot but very hairy looking skiing. NOTE TO SELF: never ski offpiste with these guys Toofy Grin well done on getting some shots of the traverse that will make a nice screen saver for your group members...
latest report
I'll take the credit for some of the photos (I think I've taken the first three ones and Costin took the other three). snowball, thanks for posting them!

I'll upload a couple more.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh OK, I thought because Costin sent them to me he took them all. I did credit him and asked him first.
ski holidays
Hi guys, pleased to see you did some of my other favorite runs after our day together in Tignes/Val d'Isere. Do you have any photo's of the day you spent with me, if anyone does please do email me copies. If any of you are ever coming back to the area do get in touch as there are plenty more places to take you for some thrills.
latest report
snowball,

Only just seen this thread..how did I miss it..?

So, worth the bump...in this gloomy summer.. wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy