Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Give Me Your Best Shot!

Poster: A snowHead
Okay, inspired by Megamum's bravery, I'm going to put myself up for judgment. I've got a couple of things in my head that I need to work on, and have had a couple of ideas from Epic too, so now it's the turn of snowHeads...

So, have a look at the video from Wengen, filmed by andy at the top of the Lauberhorn WC DH run. Not my best skiing, was being a little lazy... Embarassed

Me Skiing in Wengen
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skisimon, You ski like a complete gonk. Your second place in the MSB race can only be down to everyone else holding back. Twisted Evil *

(Not really Mate, I'm just jealous Embarassed ) Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You might just be sitting back a little to much which may explain hte skiddy turn, You could probably also get more angulation considering the run you are on! But it certainly looks good.

Remember

Knees over toes Arss over heels!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Axsman, don't make me post this...

Laughing snowHead wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skisimon, That just demonstrates what a totally rad, off-piste gnarly skier I am Madeye-Smiley *

* (Except that it was taken on a very gentle red piste Embarassed ) Laughing

And anyway this one is better:

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skisimon, just like me, you tend to drag your pole a bit?

Anyone have recordings of me? (Asked Axsman in pm already)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My best shot - toffee vodka. Great stuff. Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skisimon, as a punter, I'd say it looks pretty good.

The only points I can spot are that you need to loose that "up" motion on initiation a bit and convert it into a move over the skis and down the slope (both at the same time). That should help keep you forward and give you more angulation.

Also, if you keep your hands a bit further forward (so you can see them both all the time) and give the pole plant a bit more welly - that could help to.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mosha Marc, Yes absolutely! That's exactly what I was doing (just before that second photo) Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
vetski, what a terrible shot - Vodka's pointless... Skullie

Ronald / Mosha Marc, I agree on the hand front - always been one of my lazier actions (even when I'm not being lazy).

Not a huge fan of heavy pole planting except on steeps and moguls, but despite a quick flick with the wrist, I still somehow always end up letting the hand drop back. Discipline!

Mosha Marc, quite right about the excessive 'up' motion. My excuse ( wink )is that it's a left-over from my CSIA LI course when we had to accentuate the loading/un-loading (by virtue of extension and flexion). I haven't managed to wean myself back to real life proportions.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skisimon, speaking honestly, and from the depths of my ignorance as a punter skier, I don't think you have too much to worry about in the style or technique stakes - you look better than I'll ever be.

Ronald, Have sent you the CD today but meantime
this clip is the start of your first run at the MSB (It's all I have).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skisimon wrote:
quite right about the excessive 'up' motion. My excuse ( wink )is that it's a left-over from my CSIA LI course when we had to accentuate the loading/un-loading (by virtue of extension and flexion).

I thought your range of extension was fine, but you rushed it so it became a 'little 'pop' (too great a rate) rather than a progressive extension which engaged your skis early in the turn. I spent a lot of time in my recent BASI L2 playing with the timing of the flexion/extension so the movement was driven by the forces in the turn rather than a contrived action because that's what the course required. Took a while, but it feels very different when you get the timing right.

I think the timing of your pole plant is a bit late (although you raise your arm quite early). In that radius of turn you could probably live without the pole plant, especially if, like me, you have a 'little pop' problem.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, excellent! I hadn't thought about the extension in terms of period, I (like a couple of others who have watched the video) have been stuck on the extent of the extension. It is quite possible that the quick transition is what makes it appear excessively large. I'll try to spend some time next week working on a more gradual extension.

Agree that there's little need for a pole plant for those turns on that terrain.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skisimon, if anything it's a small flexion, therefore a small extension. There are three things you can vary with flexion/extension: rate, range and distribution, i.e., how quickly you move, how much you move and where in the curve you make those movements. Lots to play with. Key thing is to feel the pressures build up and release. If your movement isn't in reaction to force, or to create force it's probably wrong. I know, I speak from much personal experience of getting it wrong!

If you're playing with things best to cut out the pole plant - too many variables.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skisimon, If I could ski that well I wouldn't be worrying Cool
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
skisimon, If I could ski that well I wouldn't be worrying Cool

You have a limit to your skiing ambitions? Wink
ski holidays
rob@rar, Yes, I only want to be able to ski to my own satisfaction - if I was looking as good as that and could get down most pisted runs that would do for me.
latest report
Megamum wrote:
rob@rar, Yes, I only want to be able to ski to my own satisfaction - if I was looking as good as that and could get down most pisted runs that would do for me.

Ahh, basic error! No such thing as satisfaction with your skiing. You can never do it well enough, but you're always looking for that perfect run or that perfect turn. It's a never ending quest. If I thought I'd got as good as I was going to get I'd quit and just play golf (another sport which is an endless battle with frustration).
snow conditions
Quote:
If I thought I'd got as good as I was going to get I'd quit

No you wouldn't...you'd start telemarking! Cool
snow conditions
vetski wrote:
Quote:
If I thought I'd got as good as I was going to get I'd quit

No you wouldn't...you'd start telemarking! Cool

Done that; my thighs still hurt...
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:

Yeah, well you think that now but when you get to that stage you'll be wanting to be more consistent, or wishing you could enjoy the powder down the side of the piste more etc etc. I've just about reached the original ambition I had when I started skiing and lo and behold it's turned into a springboard for new ambitions. As you improve you may well find that "your own satisfaction" becomes increasingly demanding Wink
snow report
Axsman wrote:

Ronald, Have sent you the CD today but meantime
this clip is the start of your first run at the MSB (It's all I have).

Thanks! now to get my own thread Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy