Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warren Smith at Xscape

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of booking one of the half day Warren Smith courses at Castleford Xscape. Has anybody been on one before? Whats the general consensus on the quality of tuition, progress made etc?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How expensive are they?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
About £80 for 3 hours
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think Mosha Marc and Spyderjon may have done some of these courses.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My hubby bought me one on my birthday last year. We had enquired whether or not, as someone just at Xscape's Recreational standard, I could take part and they had said yes. It was a small group and the first thing they did was the bracquage which was beyond me, but they were very good and the two instructors (one was training) split up so I ended up with spells of 1:1 tuition followed by periods of practising things while they both worked with the group. It was useful and I was impressed with how they coped with the mismatch in ability.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ajpaul wrote:
I'm thinking of booking one of the half day Warren Smith courses at Castleford Xscape. Has anybody been on one before? Whats the general consensus on the quality of tuition, progress made etc?

I've done a good few of these afternoon sessions.

I'd say that the courses are designed for folks that are parallel red run standard skiers looking to improve further. The content is a taster of the WSA's week long Verbier/Saas Fee courses but as Xscape is limited in space the sessions will mostly be the basic drills that Warren uses to develop ankle flex, thigh steering, braquage/pivot slips, weak turn side development, pole planting etc. The Castleford staff usually build bumps so if they're there you'll do bumps training as well.

Most folks struggle with these slow speed technical drills (even though they may be proficient skiers at speed) but Warren's belief is that if you don't get the fundementals right then you'll struggle in the future on steeps, bumps & in powder etc. The quality of tuition is superb but, like any other tuition, it's unlikely that in one session that you'll come away a very different skier. However you will come away with a series of drills & exercises that are ideal for regular off-season practice at places like Xscape or dryslopes. There's usually a number of attendees that do multiple sessions & the improvement in their skiing is always noticeable.

The three hours is pretty intensive so take a drink & wear layers as most people end up overheating. Xscape require anyone skiing the bumps to wear a helmet but these are available foc.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounds good, but what's the advantage over watching his DVDs to pick up these useful drills and exercises? I know you would get far more from a 1:1 session out in a proper resort, but I'm not totally convinced about the value of this sort of course within the limitations of Xscape (for a more experienced skier at least). Any thoughts on that?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
uktrailmonster wrote:
Sounds good, but what's the advantage over watching his DVDs to pick up these useful drills and exercises?

Quote:
I know you would get far more from a 1:1 session .............

There you go. wink

True, it doesn't help you get the steep and deep feel. Look at it as more of a mid-summer refresher.

I'll be going on one again next year.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1:1 session...........out in a proper resort.

That was my question really. Is it really worth it for a 1:1 session at Xscape, assuming you have all the DVDs and know what the basic drills and exercises are anyway? I guess it gives you some feedback on your performance, but it can't be anything remotely like a day on the mountain. Just trying to figure out if I should bother with the Xscape courses or just go straight onto one of the mountain courses, which look superb.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I love paraphrasing. Little Angel

Not as good as the mountain. But better than sitting at home.

How far are you from a 'dome?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ok, it's obviously better than sitting at home. But is it worth £80? I do live near a dome as it happens, but rarely ski there due to a poor cost-benefit ratio.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
uktrailmonster, considering it would cost you best part of £50 to freeski for 3 hours, then I guess it doesn't look too expensive.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Elizabeth B, That's the reason I don't ski much at MK! £50 for 3 hours of skiing (the vast majority of which is taken up by the painfully slow lift) is not my idea of good value. But I guess another £30 for the tuition is good IF the slope hire is included in the £80
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
uktrailmonster wrote:
.......I guess another £30 for the tuition is good IF the slope hire is included in the £80

Yes it is.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, Almost sold now, cheers! Except my boots are in Canada Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy