Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Marmotte Spotting

Poster: A snowHead
abc,
Not sure about relative numbers when the marmottes are seen but I should think a lot more walkers see them than skiers. They don't appear much on the snow more on the grass as the snow is dissapearing and so are the skiers. They teem in the summer when there are quite a few walkers in the popular bits.

22 dropout,
There was marmotte on the menu in one mountain restaurant I went into on the gibier menu. Bit pricey for tasting though. Shocked
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not exactly a Marmotte, but this little cutie strolled past our window this evening

latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
solarfish, Gulp Shocked . Think you win. Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Walking in the Alps and Dolomites it is quite common to get within a few yards of marmottes, they are not particularly bothered by humans - though they always notice you as they post prominent lookouts, and you can hear the alarm call from miles away. Was quite amusing in the Dolomites in an area of WWI fortifications to see a marmotte manning a lookout post, and on the alarm call the others scurried for shelter in the disused trenches while the lookout remained at his post! Years ago we even fed a marmotte cheese slices by hand on the walk up to the Monte Rosa hut - it would come up and rest it's front feet on your leg and take food out of your hand.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
22 dropout wrote:
I've heard that they do not taste good. Can anyone vouch for that?

That's marmite you're thinking of.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The ski resort Whistler is so named after them.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spotted a Marmotte on the Palafour section yesterday.

Spring must be coming Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saw several last week in risoul especially around the snowpark area near the resort base. Also saw one when skiing over to Vars one day. i love'em.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stewart woodward, Should be lots by the time we get there on the 24th then.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My first marmot of the season, spotted up on the Galibier yesterday

a bit tough, not much meat and probably needed a bit more cooking time. Marmot cooking follows the old lesson of "first kill your marmot" - they are pretty vicous when cornered and the front teeth have been known to severe major arteries leaving the marmot hunter to bleed to death in the snow.

Anyway here is an old Maurienne recipe for Marmotte a l'Orange:-

Separate the intestines and clean the body removing hair. Rub inside of carcasse with salt. Cut 1 half of orange into quarters and put in marmot cavity with thyme, marjoram, parsley, and 4 onion wedges. Fill body with preheated hot stones and seal tightly. The marmot meat is cooked by the heat of stones from inside but you can put the carcasse on a bbq for additional cooking. When done, the marmot meat is very tender and tastes like wild duck, cut into strips and serve with new potatos and fennel.

Ingredients (5 servings):
1 medium marmot
Salt

Cooking gear:
From small to medium sized smooth stones
Firewood

Cooking time:
Approximately 1.5 hours

next week's recipe: flame grilled Dahu.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

the front teeth have been known to severe major arteries leaving the marmot hunter to bleed to death in the snow.

how frightfully unsporting.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can recommend casseroled marmot, if anyone is interested.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof wrote:

and clean the body removing hair.
How? Or did you mean skin it, which I imagine would be easy judging from experience with rabbits and hares.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
so, when riding the lifts and I see loads of paw prints are they not from Marmottes?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
HH, depends what prints you see. Mountain hares are quite common
latest report
HH, lots from chamois too. and foxes, sometimes. Bouquetins. Dahu.
snow report
snowball wrote:
davidof wrote:

and clean the body removing hair.
How? Or did you mean skin it, which I imagine would be easy judging from experience with rabbits and hares.

It could be a bit like shaving a beaver Laughing
snow conditions
With all this mild weather has anybody spotted a Marmott yet Puzzled
latest report
Cue more beaver jokes! Very Happy
I`ve got to tell my daughter that people eat marmotts now you`ve resurrected this thread,stewart woodward,
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott, marmots kip under the snow all winter, so probably not. They wake up when it gets warm, which is why you might see them getting out of bed early during a warm spell. They generally get back under the duvet as soon as it gets chilly again.

Can we decide which language to use regarding these critters please? Marmot = English, marmotte = French.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy