Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When can I start asking about next year?

Poster: A snowHead
I need something to look forward to.
Desperately.
Mrs Spurs and I are now low intermediates. Comfortable on blues can tackle reds. Parallel most of the time.
Two friends coming with us next year, complete novices (the ones that bottled out last year, they've now seen the videos of us). She'll be nervous, he'll have a laugh and will pick it up fast.
They won't have the time or inclination to go to Tamworth for lessons - although I'll try to get them there - so will probably arrive in resort as 'virgins'.
Wife and me aren't bothered about progressing to harder runs, we'd rather spend a year or two getting used to what we do now - just try to get better at it. We'd like somewhere with some nice long easy blues so that our friends can ski with us later in the week.
Wife and I don't particularly want to do ski school again. We'd prefer two or three private lessons so that we can have more time playing on our own.
Ski school for our friends? or private?
Where would you suggest? We've been to Austria and Romania so far.
Needs to be reasonable, price wise, so Europe probably..say £500 - £600 a head for travel, accomodation, lift passes and ski hire. Food/booze and lessons extra.
Aiming for a week not earlier than early Feb.

So, only ten and a half months to go....unless I win the lottery....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
youspurs1 wrote:

They won't have the time or inclination to go to Tamworth for lessons - although I'll try to get them there - so will probably arrive in resort as 'virgins'.

Big mistake. Getting started on a dry slope or indoor slope will make such a difference to the quality of their holiday - and yours. To arrive in a virginal state does not give them best value for money as they spend time in the beginners' area learning how to move instead of arriving already mobile. If mobile, they are also better able to enjoy skiing with you outwith lesson time - and it's better for you as well.

Tell them no virgins on your ski holidays; send them off to Tamworth to be de-flowered.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
come to Tremblant. It fits your needs perfectly
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JB007 wrote:
Not on cost!
youspurs1 asked
Quote:
so Europe probably..say £500 - £600 a head for travel, accomodation, lift passes and ski hire.

If they avoid school holidays, or go SC it may be possible late Feb in europe but Tremblant in Canada is way over their asking price! Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JB007 wrote:
Not on cost!
youspurs1 asked
Quote:
so Europe probably..say £500 - £600 a head for travel, accomodation, lift passes and ski hire.

If they avoid school holidays, or go SC it may be possible late Feb in europe but Tremblant in Canada is way over their asking price! I wish it wasn't cos i'd be there myself! Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
youspurs1, the key thing for your friends, especially nervous woman, will be quality of ski tuition. Agree that a session at Tamworth would pay dividends, but it's not cheap, and your budget is very, very, tight. On low-budget family holidays, many years ago (think 20 years or more) I never managed to come in under £500 including passes and ski hire. If thinking about France you would need to try to avoid the peak period, which will be the last three weeks of February and first week of March. Mid-March could be ideal, or if you don't want to wait that long, the first week in February.

Are you thinking package or DIY?

If you went to a resort with a good quality ski school (New Generation, Courchevel 1650 for example, but there are lots of others - for example BASS which has a number of bases) you could all four take lessons. A full week with a top instructor, in a small group, would probably be the very best bet for you, too. But it will cost you more, of course. I would share your disinclination for a "follow me round in a group of 12" cheap deal.

Where did you go this time, and what did you like/dislike about it?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kopaonik, Serbia might fit the bill. It is cheap and beginner-friendly and the English spoken is far better than some of the website suggests - it is where I did my first week. It's not very high, compared with the Alps, but there was enough snow even in Jan 07, when conditions were poor in lots of places. Thomson/Crystal and Balkan go there; T/C go Sundays from Gatwick to Nis (2-3hr transfer), B go Sats, Heathrow to Belgrade (5hr transfer).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We went to Madonna this year, plenty of good blue runs and easy reds which allow you to cover the whole resort, your friends should be able to tackle most of the blues in the Pradalgo and Groste sections after some lessons and the resort is very user friendly with access to all areas from the town centre.
Its very pretty but not the cheapest Italian resort, we will go again though as we realy enjoyed the skiing.
One word of warning, there is litttle or no traditional apres ski.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anytime is ok to start asking about next trip, but now is a bit early to ask whether there will be snow or not
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
youspurs1, Been to Borovets in Bulgaria 4 times ,accomodation can be basic but you will get everything for under £600 if you keep away from peak periods.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We went to Poiana Brasov (Romania) this year.
Liked - Cost. All inclusive, food, booze, school, passes and hire for £450. Area - very pretty. Runs - not too crowded. Instructors
Disliked - Learning in a class (all at speed of slowest) limited Ski area, lack of Apres ski, long transfer (4 hrs) poor quality of hire equipment.

Thanks for the advice so far..I'll definately try to get them to Tamworth.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
youspurs1, To address your dislikes, could you add £200 each to your budget? If so you could take your choice of many French, Italian, Austrian or Swiss resorts where the standard of Ski Area, Infrastructure. Apres, Hire equipment and lessons should be better. Transfer times can be less than 90 mins (Innsbruck to Ischgl for example).

Private lessons would be VERY much better than ski school. A couple of hours in the morning for the first 2 or 3 days, will work out similar cost wise to a weeks ski school, but at 1:2 tuition will be far more effective and will give you loads of free ski time too. snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
back to the original question.. you can talk about next years trips in late may when this season eventually winds down... damn global warming!!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cost wise on Tremblant right you are correct. But I was informed that they will be dropping prices for next year.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
youspurs1, self-catering might suit you better cost wise...you could consider Les Gets/Morzine in France, appx 1hr from GVA, 10hr drive from UK (that was using the Shuttle - ferry might be cheaper though also longer), a couple of good ski schools (the smaller ones are ski360 and ski-plus (run by Nicolas, who has taught me in the past, and is utterly charming) - obviously ESF has a presence also), outside holiday periods. You can keep pass prices down by only getting a local pass rather than a pass for the whole Portes du Soleil, and there are loads of cruisey blues and reds. It's never too early to plan if you have constraints.
ski holidays
A dozen replies, and no-one has yet mentioned...... Laughing

youspurs1, Have PM'd you something you might wish to consider
snow report
Guvnor, of course, how foolish of us not to mention the MSB or EoSB. Toofy Grin But youspurs1 didn't mention wanting to go away with a bunch of 70 other people! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
vetski, Was specifically thinking of a certain resort, often talked of as being the closest to heaven, nesteld on the French/Italian border
snow report
At that kind of budget, self-catering would seem to make more sense. Was just checking prices of my usual chalet in Les Gets, and it's about 400-500 per person catered normally, but 1000 for complete chalet self-catered (this season only - think they are going back to fully catered next season if the renovation is complete). Also January prices are usually better than Feb. As vetski says, there's a handful of good ski schools, most of which can do private lessons too. I recommend BASS and Les Gets Snowsports. Early planning is good to make sure you get the desired ski lesson places.
snow conditions
Guvnor

I don't think that resort would be ideal for the less confident sounding female virgin. The few green runs are not even all genuine greens (one I can think of has a pipe type concave on which even early intermediates can easily lose control). However as a place for the OP to start tackling reds then yes I agree a superb choice and the Italian side is a perfect place to start on easy to medium blacks
snow report
Axsman wrote:

Private lessons would be VERY much better than ski school. A couple of hours in the morning for the first 2 or 3 days, will work out similar cost wise to a weeks ski school, but at 1:2 tuition will be far more effective and will give you loads of free ski time too. snowHead

I wouldn't recommend private tuition for complete novice skiers. It's just not going to be cost effective, especially on a tight budget. Better to cover the absolute basics in cheaper group lessons. I wouldn't consider private lessons until at least intermediate standard.

So perhaps private lessons for you and group lessons for your total novice friends.
latest report
uktrailmonster, I'd disagree. IMHO Private lessons will get you progressing MUCH quicker than standing around in a group waiting your turn, whatever your level. In this case the OP has already indicated that he was going to 'persuade' his friends to get some lessons at Tamworth first anyway. snowHead
latest report
Axsman, Personally I wouldn't spend £100 per session for a private instructor to show me how to put skis on, stand up and do a snowplough. I can't imagine that anyone would get much further than that in the first couple of hours in any case. Private lessons come into their own when you get to a level where specific individual instruction becomes necessary to progress quickly.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 26-03-08 17:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
JB007 wrote:
Cost wise on Tremblant right you are correct. But I was informed that they will be dropping prices for next year.

Is that a joke?

Who're "they"? Isn't the cost of the trip mostly in the transatlantic flight itself?

Or do you work for Tramblant's marketing department and forgot to mentioned it?
snow report
Most of the places mentioned above would come in well above the budget mentioned. For that budget you're really stuck with somewhere like Bulgaria or Romania. You need to be careful with private lessons too - they are not necessarily brilliant. I see a lot of ESF privates here - it's often just an instructor with one or two people skiing around after them. Better than 12, to be sure, but still not necessarily going to be much in the way of real tuition and explanation.
ski holidays
Clearly progress in private lessons is quicker but I actually think a group is often a good thing for absolute beginners - they are a laugh (fostering enjoyment) and everyone's in the same boat. If you're on your own in a private as a beginner it's too easy to think you're no good at skiing, whereas in a group you can see that it's just part of the learning curve that everyone goes through. After one group, though I would have no hesitation reverting to privates, funds permitting
snow conditions
Hmm, I've done all inclusive for the last two years, last year £350 per week half board + skis, school and passes, this year £450 for the same.

I was assuming that I could get the component parts for roughly the equivalent cost. If We have to pay more then we'll do so.
ski holidays
uktrailmonster wrote:
Axsman, Personally I wouldn't spend £100 per session for a private instructor to show me how to put skis on, stand up and do a snowplough. I can't imagine that anyone would get much further than that in the first couple of hours in any case. Private lessons come into their own when you get to a level where specific individual instruction becomes necessary to progress quickly.

I think you are underestimating the progress that a beginner can make in two hours. Particularly when the whole two hours is spent being taught rather than waiting in line. But as I said, the beginners would have learned the (very) basics at Tamworth anyway.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Livigno may be the answer, lots of beginner runs low down, some harder stuff higher up and it is generally quite cheap as well.
ski holidays
abc wrote:
JB007 wrote:

Is that a joke?

Who're "they"? Isn't the cost of the trip mostly in the transatlantic flight itself?

Or do you work for Tramblant's marketing department and forgot to mentioned it?

If you check you JB007's Tremblant Insider site you will see that he doesn't work for Intrawest (who own Trembant). he gives genuine, honest feedback about the resort, which Intrawest often do not appreciate as it casts them in poor light sometimes. He genuinely wants people to visit and haev a good time, but I suspect he hasn't factored in flights or the fact that many peeps over here will go with a TO so savings might not be passed on.
ski holidays
youspurs1, Don't know the answer to your specific questions but never too early to talk about next year Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:
last year £350 per week half board + skis, school and passes

That seems amazingly cheap. In a moderate sort of French resort, lift pass, ski and boot hire and basic group ski lessons are likely, at the current awful exchange rate, to cost over £250. More, in quite a few places.
snow report
Ive recently come back from a week in Serre Chevalier with Skitopia. All inclusive (flights, transfers, accomodation, 3 meals a day, lift pass, ski/boot hire and a free bar in the evenings) cost us £530 each.
snow conditions
Axsman wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:

I think you are underestimating the progress that a beginner can make in two hours. Particularly when the whole two hours is spent being taught rather than waiting in line. But as I said, the beginners would have learned the (very) basics at Tamworth anyway.

I know private lessons are generally the best quality, but this sounds like a bunch of novices going for a bit of a laugh with an eye on the cost. I think you're over-estimating their needs. And as someone else pointed out, group lessons are usually more fun for beginners.
snow report
I'll add my vote to the recommendation for practice lessons in the UK first, whether at a snowdome or on a dryslope - the return on this is huge. First time on skis can be quite tiring and daunting, not to mention gaining some familiarity with draglifts.

Also, being in reasonable state of fitness both aerobically and leg strength & stamina (hillwalking, cycling, jogging/running). It makes learning so much easier when the demands on the body & mind are just about grasping the techniques without the additional load of adjusting to exercise, fatigue and lack of recovery, etc.
ski holidays
Yes, I'm going to put some serious pressure on them to get to Tamworth for a day or two.
It will be more fun for all of us if they can join us more on the slopes after lessons.

Ta all Very Happy
latest report
Guvnor, Thanks for the pm, added to shortlist:)
ski holidays
Off to Tamworth on Sunday. Our friends are doing the 'Learn to Ski in a day' course, and we are going along to provide moral support - we'll do an improver course that runs at the same time.
Hope they like it!
snow report
La Rosiere maybe?

There are some lovely wide blues, Renard and a couple of others whose names I've forgotten, and some flattering reds (the one from Fort). Not too expensive, nice late sun (march). Didn't spend much times on greens (1st winter trip after 1 week LDA Summer Ski and ski in a day at MK) as they seemed a bit flat and I was trying to avoid having to pole as I had a dodgy wrist. Major downside is draglifts, some of which are "aggressive", and going to Italy is 2 long draglifts (not too horrid though, just long). That said, I'm not that keen on heights, and would rather do a draglift on my own than have to be on a chair without someone competent to deal with the arms, and after a snowdome experience, drags are what you are used to.
snow conditions
Hope you have a great day at Tamworth - wonder if I could get a leave pass and come down??

Next year - how about considering coming to Les Deux Alpes 7th or 14th March - see link in my sig? No compulsion to stay with the group or for all of you to be part of it - lots of other ski opportunities there too, but if as you say your friend is likely to be a bit nervous it could be just the thing? PM me if you'd like to discuss more?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy