Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can a man use a woman's ski?

Poster: A snowHead
I can get a new woman's Atomic C9 size 170 with 310 bindings for $199, that is $200 less than the men's C9. But I am a 175 lb man, 5.9 tall and enjoy linking quick turns on blue runs. Shop rat informs me that the ski is the same as the men's, only the color is different. Please let me know if you think I can cross dress for the slops.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads dipstick, snowHead snowHead

Can't answer your question, but someone will!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowheads dipstick, I would suggest changing your signature, as the automatic censor has already done it for you.

I suspect that the shop rat is telling you a few porky pies in order to secure a sale. It is very rare these days that a manufacturer will make a women's specific ski without changing the characteristics of the ski. As many women ski on "men's" skis anyway, the whole point of having a women's specific range is that they are usually slightly more flexible, to help with turning, as women tend to be lighter than men.

A quick search on google found this site which also suggests that there is a difference greater than the colour scheme between the men's and women's skis.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
No. not without asking anyway!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dipstick, hi welcome aboard. Your rat may be correct, but I'm not sure.

My wife still slides round on Atomic 9:11's. At the time we bought them they were all out of ladies ski's, but the rat (who's a freind) told me that the only difference was that the ladies binding was mounted 10cm further forward to help with turn initiation.

Now Atomic may have changed this polocy, or I may have been lied to. How well do you know the rat?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
10cm ? Are you sure? That's an incredible distance I'd have thought.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
10cm? Surely that can't be right. I don't see why women would benefit anyway, it sounds like sexism!
I assume they just designate skis that might favour lighter, slightly less agressive skiers as womens skis, but I don't think you should get too hung up about it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Embarassed That should have been 10mm. Well done ise, I wondered who'd be the first to spot that.

Buck yer ideas up the rest of you!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The point of mounting a binding further forward for women is mainly to do with the difference in Centre of Gravity. Generally speaking, the female anatomy means that their centre of gravity is lower and further back than that of a man. To compensate for this, if it is on a unisex ski, the binding for a woman would be mounted forward. Ladies specific skis (if designed specifcally for women) would have a different flex pattern than a man's ski, thus the binding could then be put further back, with the inherent benefits of that.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Here's part of it...
http://biomech.ftvs.cuni.cz/pbpk/kompendium/biomechanika/images/teziste.gif
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I do not know the shop rat well, he has been with the shop 23 years. However he knows I am the coordinator for the town ski club and bad advice will take money from his pocket.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kramer wrote:

the whole point of having a women's specific range is that they are usually slightly more flexible, to help with turning, as women tend to be lighter than men.

For a given weight a woman will be less powerful than a man (less muscle mass) so this is another reason for making women's skis softer.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Next stop, women's clothing beware what you wish for!!! wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well just think, what if it were a 5'8" 175 lbs woman... lol just my .02 ..
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Generally speaking, the female anatomy means that their centre of gravity is lower and further back than that of a man.
Which planet are you on Foxy? Female, Male. Now, which one do you think has the lower and more posterior centre of gravity?
snow report
I don't know for sure but I wouldn't believe it. Try hiring a pair from another shop and see what they say....I would imagine you would get a different answer.

I've tried to google it but the only difference appears to be the colour so therefore the key is in the mounting of the binding
as others have said

But for me they would always be woman's skis...!!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy