Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Psych!

Poster: A snowHead
There is a good bit of mind work goes along with the physical skills of skiing, for those people (like me) that are stuck in flatland what (if anything) do you do to get your head "in the right place" before flying out for your week on the slopes?

I am going to invest in some gnarly dvd's I think. I also have The All-mountain Skier: The Way to Expert Skiing to read at nights!

Anyone do anything different?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Learn to relax,chill whatever Cool We all know it,but being tense has to be one of the biggest hurdles of all.We all develop hangups.Speed,ice,moguls,steeps,slush,poor viz et al,pick your poison Confused Cast your mind back to when you first put on a pair of skis.Nervous,apprehensive,frightened?Look at any beginner group and you will see the whole range of barriers.We learn,and train,many of these negatives away;but not quite.They still dog us,but to a much lesser degree.Fear is quite usefull,and normal.It stops us killing ourselves,usually!But imagined fear can be an almost insurmountable barrier.Hang ups,like bad technique,can be hard to shake.A plateau is only a plateau if you feel you could do more.For many this so called plateau may be as far as they can take their skiing,or want to?To progress further means application,focus and,for most of us,good tuition.Without it,human nature will make us repeat what we know,and feel comfortable with,and leave us stranded on the 'flatlands'.But,I believe the mental approach is equally important.Learn to relax but keep focused.Overcome fears with good training.But above all,keep it fun snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AlanUK posted about this. It is abit of an advert but look back through saturdays post and see what he says...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT, AlanUK is still a member but his duplicated posts (being 1st time commercial in nature, and presumably not agreed with Admin in advance as acceptable) have been chopped. Anyone interested in relaxing techniques allegedly related to skiing go to his profile and click the website.
Hope by mentioning this I'm not going to upset Admin Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Being somewhat more than a "bit" of an advert, U will not find that post if you seek it at present I'm afraid JT rolling eyes

A dreadful thing has happened to us. Who could have foreseen it? I cannot foresee any end to our troubles. It may be that we are condemned to spend our whole lives in this strange, inaccessible place. I am still so confused that I can hardly think clearly of the facts of the present or of the chances of the future. To my astounded senses the one seems most terrible and the other as black as night.
"It was on that," said Professor Challenger, pointing to this tree, "that the pterodactyl was perched. I climbed half-way up the rock before I shot him. I am inclined to think that a good mountaineer like myself could ascend the rock to the top, though he would, of course, be no nearer to the plateau when he had done so."

"Gnarly" videos are good fun but the standard of skiing and terrain in them is probably a little out of most folks' comfort zone. I find something a little more realistic, such as watching my old mate here to be suitably inspiring.

Warning! 7Mb windows media file (sound essential for the philosophical comments)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 5-12-04 18:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Alan Craggs,

Oh Errr..!! Whoops..

Thanks
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I find if I take my body to a place, the head normally follows snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's why I'm doing the balancing (see "A delicate..." in "Bend Ze Knees").

Together with the dry-slope stuff once a week and the occasional snip of some of the worldcup skiing stuff (actually the presenters are good to watch Smile ) I can do the visualisation thing.

(leaving in a week, leaving in a week. woohoo --- leaving in a week!!!)
(but there's no snow yet <gulp>)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alan Craggs-nice video clip,as you say,realistically inspiring.Particularly agree with the philosophy mentioned re over intellectualising everything.Always find my best skiing moments come when I,m not actually thinking about it;just enjoying it!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fragglerock, Videos and dry slope. Also the smell of melting ski wax does it for me..... Dry slope coacing/racing are the best....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fragglerock, The instructors on here all attest to the fact that as technique improves so will the mindset, and that technique improvement normally preceeds the 'braver' mind. I still doubt this. In my mind on flatland I can ski, but put me at the top of a slighter steeper slope and the mind brakes cut in. My instructor this year told me that the only brakes I had were in my mind. I think he is right. Technically I think I could ski to my own satisfaction if only I could overcome my mind - this is what I hope will happen in April - Hopefully I'll have such a good time skiing with other people, laughing and thinking about what a great time I'm having and with no worries for other family members that I might be able to switch off my mind and just go for it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fragglerock, what seems to have worked for me (apart from more ski time) is to consciously take the positive(s) out of every ski day. However much of a 'mare you might have had, there's almost always something you can focus on as having gone well. e.g. I spent a lot of time eating snow today - but the positive was that I was daring to go further from the piste than I have ever gone wihtout an instructor.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
zombie Psych! thread 4years dead wrote:
Brrrraaaaaainnnnnsss....

My takeaway from Denise McCluggage's book:

Collect all your expectations. Every one. Visualise them in an envelope. Burn the envelope.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
WTF is Megamum doing digging up a 4 year-old thread ? Shocked Shocked Shocked You MUST have more to do than this!

ever so slightly creepy . . .
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I find the solution to surmounting fear varies from country to country. In France - Genepi, in Austria or Switzerland Schnapps and in Italy Bombardinos. Personally the Italian solution is my favourite. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Masque, It wasn't me (though I confess it looks like it) - someone else must have kicked it and then found a way to delete their posting - I didn't even realise it was 4 years old - it was at the top of the heap when I posted - confused? Yes!! Puzzled
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy