Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Manchester Airport...

Poster: A snowHead
Looks like we'll be heading to banff from manchester...

couple of questions.

Is there any cheap car parking that's relatively close to the airport and has a transfer bus?

Is there anywhere close by that we could park the car for a week (safely) and get an airport bus, train or taxi.

What's traffic generally like in the airport area on a Saturday morning?

CHeers for any help.

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shoogly wrote:
Is there any cheap car parking that's relatively close to the airport and has a transfer bus?

Quite a lot. There's loads of online options, have a look on here
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shoogly, we live close to the airport so don't use any of the parking facilities - there's plenty. Airparks is a regular bus that we see. Have a look at www.holidayextras.co.uk for airport parking rates and hotel/parking rates.
Traffic is usually very light on a Saturday morning.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh, and traffic should be fine on Saturday morning.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've always used Premier Parking - 5-10 minutes on the tansfer bus, depending on the terminal. The buses are every 15 minutes or so, and I've always found them as an organisation to be professional and reliable. Book in advance online and you get a fair discount too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hardly used Manchester airport - but when I last did, I went by an excellent train service straight to the airport. Worth looking at.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hardly used Manchester airport - but when I last did, I went by an excellent train service straight to the airport. Worth looking at.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You forgot to ask if you can take boots on as handluggage.... rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can i take boots on as hand luggage Puzzled

Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
shoogly,

We live very close, end of runway actually! Traffic light in the immediate area, check for roadworks on the relevant motorways though.

My parents use this car park when we are not here to park and shuttle them and it's cheap £32 and the people (family business) are very nice and reliable http://www.thelaurelscarport.co.uk/

There are places around where you could park for free, for example on a residential side street in Heald Green, and then get the train 1 stop to the airport. As safe/unsafe as parking anywhere on street in south manchester but obviously not a secure car park.

Beware of choosing a car park off the list of ones you get when you google as some of them are miles away!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sarah, thanks for the info... how safe is south manchester?

"Beware of choosing a car park off the list of ones you get when you google as some of them are miles away!"

You're not wrong! been looking on google maps at some of their locations and i might as well leave my car in scotland and take a bus...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ooh, can i ask a question too and hijack your thread a little bit?! I'm flying into Machester airport on Thursday evening at 18:50 - hoping to catch a cab to Droylsden FC for a footie match - what are the chances of me making it to the ground in time for the 19:45 kick off?!!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shoogly, use a car park not a side road. Residents in Heald Green get a little knarcked when a car is left outside their house for a week or so - wouldn't you. The roads next to the train station are busy residential and parking for the shops streets, not easy to park without being directly in front of someones house. I would certainly not leave my car there for any length of time and I know Police and Traffic wardens regularly patrol the 3/4 main side streets near the Train Station as there are regular jams and congestion by people using the bank and post office. We work in Heald Green, so know the village well.

nightshift, as long as you are in a cab for 7 to 7.10 then it should be fine - but only just ie. as the bulk of traffic will have died down by then. It's quite a way.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shoogly,
Quote:

how safe is south manchester?

I am not sure about the Heald Green area. I think minx, maybe lives near or maybe it's nbt Puzzled We used to live in Didsbury about 4 miles up the road, and on our own driveway had both cars broken into, one of them twice, and one stolen. They weren't fancy either mine was a Fiat Panda and DH's was an old Cavalier(fast though). I would guess that Heald Green is a bit better. There is free on street parking right alongside the station there and then it's 5 mins one stop on the train. It depends what time of day you would arrive there as to whether the street is already full or not. There's also a pay &display car park at the station and one at the pub and travelodge next door, not sure how long you can park there and what the charges are. If I am passing I could have a look. When are you off?

nightshift, If your flight is on time and you are straight off and through and there is no cab queue you'll probably just make it, traffic should have died down by then. I reckon about half an hour from the airport maybe.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We're off on Saturday 5th. No need to worry though, i've checked out the prices of actual airport parking and they have one for £32 for the week. That'll do. It'll be the first time we've used this airport though so things may change.
snow conditions
minx, was typing same time as you! I thought you were nearby. I reckon the road right alongside the station, next to the ticket office, is a possibility though maybe, Puzzled it's not restricted as far as I know and there are no houses down there. The only issue is how safe it is.
ski holidays
sarah, I didn't know you were close also - I could have popped round for that Zermatt guide!!! Yes there is that road at the side of the station but I wouldn't leave my car there for any length of time.

shoogly, Safest bet is secure airport parking. Are you on the Monarch or Zoom flight, what time does it leave. Will you have to leave at the crack of dawn? Manchester Airport is great Very Happy
Mr M says if you have a Ferrari we'd happily look after it for you. wink
Just as an afterthought if you've not already booked it try Shentons - they've been around for years and are about 10 mins up the road from the airport and Airparks at Handforth Dean is 10 mins down the road - very regular shuttles - available through the holiday extras site is £27
ski holidays
I used one of the valet parking firms last time I flew from Manc, was about £55 for a week (so about double Airparks etc) but well worth it for being able to walk straight out the airport door and away.
snow conditions
nightshift, will you have luggage to collect? If you do, then no chance.
snow conditions
MIA Secure Parking (meet 'n greet), £38 for a week in Jan, excellent service.
snow report
We've booked in one of the airport car parks. was only a couple £ more than all those other companies and its right outside the airport. Sorted.

Now... please be kind to us traffic gods Very Happy

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, no, no luggage - straight off the plane and flying from London City so presumabely no passport control. Well this is all good news - although it will upset the OH if we miss kick off at least we should be there sometime during the first half, by the sounds of it.
shoogly, when I'm having a chat with the traffic gods about my trip tomorrow I'll mention you!!
snow conditions
Need some info...

on approach to the north down the M6, is it quicker going all the way down the M6 to the M56 then east to the airport, or better off going M6, M61, M60 then M56 and approach the airport from the north east?

Need to save as much time as possible.

Puzzled
snow report
If I'm coming back to manchester from scotland I always go M6, M61, M60... once off the M60 to get onto the M56 it's about 5mins one way to my house and 5mins the other way to the airport so I reckon that would be a safe bet. Never tried the other way tho so mebbe people living nearer the airport will have other ideas Very Happy Can do door to door from parents in glasgow to my house in 2hr45-3hrs.
snow report
I'd say m6 then across is quicker by far. the route round the m60 is circuitous and can get congested around the trafford centre at peak hours. If you're travelling at night then they're about the same.
latest report
having got back from Manchester this morning, following my whistlestop tour to Drolysden last night can I just say that if all Mancunians are as nice as everyone I came into contact with last night, then what a happy happy place it must be!! What genuinely nice people!!
ski holidays
vivski, what speed is that at? My car can motor a fair bit but i don't want to loose my license Very Happy
snow conditions
steady 80-85 on the motorways does the job Very Happy tis only 220 miles Very Happy

as nbt says the M60 can be busy round the traff centre at peak times but if you are travelling early on the sat morning (before about 11), should be OK. I think in peak times the M6 after the M61 junction can also be a nightmare. Agree that off peak probly not much diff between the two routes.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shoogly, I travel between here (airport) and my parents (near Preston) regularly and always use M61, M60, M56. I have done M6 then across and it always seems longer somehow. Just checked AA route planner and it gives M61, M60, M56 so that must be the shortest/fastest route in theory. However nbt, is right and the M60 can be bad, very bad, going in that direction at times, especially evening rushhour. Saturday morning early (before the queues for the Traff Centre build up) should be ok. So depends what time you are travelling. Also double check the relevant sites for roadworks. I came back last night and noticed that they are going to close the M60 J5 (which is the one which joins the M56) to HGVs from Monday for months. Which makes me suspect that they are doing some kind of works possibly bridge works on that exit slip. I will more than likely be doing that route again after Monday and can report on what exactly they are doing and what the consequences are.

minx, You could have done! We're in Mobberley right at end of runway. Have a good time. snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy