Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glove Dryer type thingy!

Poster: A snowHead
Having just come back from a few days in Les Arcs, where every morning my gloves were still damp from the night before, I was wondering if there as such a thing as a glove dryer...

I found this peice of tat on the internet...http://www.gizoo.co.uk/Products/TravelLeisure/Outdoor/BootGloveDryer.htm

It would appear there are more professional devices out there, but I wondered if anyone has personal experience or recommendations ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/710031%7C%7C@c@bTherm-ic%7C0%7Cuser%7C1,0,0,1%7C9%7C

Works great with gloves too. Also available in 110V.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah, that looks a little more like it! Thanks!

That's going on my birthday present list!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Richie_S, if you want something non-electric (saves worrying about forgetting an adapter!) you could try the Dampire range - I have their boot dryers which I think are good, and they do apparently make smaller ones for gloves. I'm surprised your gloves don't dry out on a radiator overnight, though!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
vetski, Does your chewing gum loose it's flavour on the bedpost overnight? Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No room on the bedpost for gum...that's where I hang the scalps of the sarcastic... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
vetski, staying in a cheap hotel, where the rads weren't on! Stayed suprisingly warm thou! Still, I'd like to be self sufficient and be sure of dry gloves... It was almost as bad as putting on a damp wetsuit! Skullie

Hmmm, that Dampire stuff looks interesting...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richie_S, no radiators on? Shocked What is this hell-hole, so I make sure I never stay there?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I second vetski's recommendation. The standard size Dampire will fit well enough inside a glove. They'll easily dry out boots and gloves for a week without being dried out. The absence of heat can only be good for the gloves (and boots, I imagine).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richie_S, I've got some things called Dryzone. They're like tubular bags with crystals in & dry them out perfectly Very Happy

http://www.snowandrock.com/Activity/Gifts+Gadgets/Ski/Dryzone+DRY0001.htm
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Richie_S, We have 2 sets of spyderjon's recommendation and great for boots and skis Cool
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geri, those are the Dampire things. Good, aren't they?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
These are smaller dryzones which fit well into gloves and are great. Much better for leather palms etc than going anywhere near direct heat. Invested in these this season so that normal dryzones can be used simultaneously overnight for boots Very Happy

Sky Blue Leisure - Dry Zone
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've got an old 1 litre ice cream container with a computer fan in it and corrugated pipes coming out. Plug in the box, insert 2 pipes into the gloves and 2 into the boots and leave. If there is a heat source to stand the box on then even better, but room temperature air still helps everything dry. Hubby has mark 2 ice cream container which has something clever like a resistor or something which heats the air first.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I got the small Dryzones for Hubby's gloves this year, and they really worked a treat. We didn't put the radiators on in the hotel room because it was so hot without them. Shocked

Jane L, I like the sound of your contraption - I'm going to see if I can make one. Now just need to dig out that old broken laptop, and buy some ice cream mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
snow conditions
I use this for drying boots, gloves and even helmets. Sees action all year round with mountain bike gear too.

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/710029||@c@bTherm-ic|0|user|1,0,0,1|9|

snow report
uktrailmonster, those blower types work well but too noisy at night for me. Need to be well protected in baggage as well.
snow conditions
Richie_S, uktrailmonster, I just bought one of those boot dryers above the other week and I have to say it worked very well. I do know what you mean though spyderjon, its too noisy at night for me as well, although what I did to get round that was put it on as soon as I got back to the room, left it on while getting ready to go out for dinner and whilst out, and then by time I got back later the boots were dry by then anyway. Put it back on in the morning to give the boots a bit of a warm before putting them on for the day.

I got mine from http://www.stockshotshop.co.uk/index.cfm?object=catalogue&mode=products&categoryID=40
they have a discount on it at the moment and cheaper delivery I think than EB. Theirs is is £29.99 instead of £35.00.

Haven't used it on gloves yet but should be just as good on those.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 29-03-08 21:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
uktrailmonster, those blower types work well but too noisy at night for me. Need to be well protected in baggage as well.

I tend not to use it overnight, but if I do, not in the room I'm sleeping. I use the plastic case it came in for travelling, which fits fine in my bag. Worth mentioning that the thermic blowers are voltage specific, so you need a different model for use in the US.
ski holidays
Quote:

Worth mentioning that the thermic blowers are voltage specific, so you need a different model for use in the US.

uktrailmonster, thanks that is indeed useful to know.

spyderjon, good point about noise through the night... I expect that even if using it straight after dinner on, say, my gloves or boots, it'll end up being needed for my wife's also...
ski holidays
Those Dryzones also can be dried out in a microwave (might make your porridge smell of ski boots though).
snow conditions
I used a thermic dryer for my boots for the first time this year and I'm an instant convert - warm cosy boots in the morning, but it did mean lugging the boots upstairs to our room to use it rather than leaving them in the basement.
snow report
Megamum, better to lug them upstairs than leave them in a damp smellly basement all night. Brings back memories of my first school ski trip - wafting pong and cold wet feel of damp ski boots in the morning!
ski holidays
Richie_S, Just for info, the fan type thermic dryers take about 30-45 mins to fully dry a sweaty pair of size 10 boots. I put the dryer on as I take them off in the evening, minimising any damp festering time. My wife's less sweaty size 5s take only about 15 mins to dry. I tend not to use them in the morning because warm boots end up feeling soft on the first run (when skiing straight out of the door).
snow conditions
uktrailmonster, 45 mins?!? I think I'm sold !
ski holidays
Richie_S, Yep, it's got to be the quickest way of drying them without risk of liner damage. You can leave the dryer on for hours, it doesn't get too hot, but they're dry after the first 45 mins. I only leave it on longer if I forget about it, so often several hours.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy