Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It's been a while - getting back into it

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone.
This is my first post here Smile
Bit of background. I am 21 and used to ski quite a lot (At least once a year for 2 weeks) but the last time I skied was probably 10 years ago. Since then I've been snowboarding for a few years, but I would like to retake up skiing.
Does anyone have a suggestion for the best way to get back into it?
Should I just get some gear on and hit the slopes or would I have forgotten everything? Maybe a couple of lessons at the indoor slope near me? (it's got real snow)
Thanks a lot
Jay
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
burrd255314, welcome to snowheads, and welcome back to the light Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing

get some lessons. Equipment has changed and so have the related techniques. I leanrt on straight skis, had been using carvers for a couple of years till I took a "refresher" lesson where we worked on some techinques applicable to carving skis and had a "bingo" moment. It'll be worth the investment.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To some extent skiing fits the riding a bike saying. But it can take a day to get used to it again.

It is definitely worth a lesson or two, as much because ski equipment has changed during the last 10 years, and it does require a different skiing style to get the most out of it. Maybe go for half a day getting your ski legs back on the easy runs in the morning, then have an afternoon lesson and a full day lesson a couple of days later.

Or, as you suggest, do a couple of sessions at an indoor slope to get used to it again.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
burrd255314, a couple of lessons. You won't have forgotten,and it's not just the equipment that's changed. So have you!!! You will still be trying to ski like an 11 year old, and your centre of gravity, balance etc will be a lot different now.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helen Beaumont, ah yes! Eagle eyed... Good spot.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
burrd255314, Welcome and enjoy snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
burrd255314, welcome to the site and congratulations on your decision to turn your back on the Dark Side! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone for the tips.
I guess I'll be hitting the chill-factore some time soon then to see how much has changed Smile Don't worry, I'm still gonna keep boarding when I'm out with my boarding friends - nothing like building a jump and hitting it all day Cool
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
burrd255314 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the tips.
I guess I'll be hitting the chill-factore some time soon then to see how much has changed Smile Don't worry, I'm still gonna keep boarding when I'm out with my boarding friends - nothing like building a jump and hitting it all day Cool
You can do that on skis too Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dude skiing is nothing more than a slow dance with your girl in a smoky bar. Especially with todays gear.

I prefer to teach snowboarders coming back to skiing on twintips. Much more forgiving, same turning radius as most carving skis, and they do not beat you up.

But as I said skiing is a slow dance.

1. Put your feet wide enough so that you are not stepping on hers.

2. Place your hands on the outside of her waist. thumbs up, this will keep your elbows in and level keeping you from dropping your hands, or flailing away with your arms. (The bonus is you will have more control of your poles especially on steeper slopes).

**note** measure your poles while wearing your ski boots and bent forward. Most shops misfit ski poles for customers. They have you standing strait up. You do not ski that way. Most skiers poles are 4" to long for them. I am 6'4" and my poles are 120cm length)

3. To turn to the left push on the inside of your right foot like you would dancing with her. But remember that you lead in this dance so keep your hands firm around her waist and gently push her in the direction to the left on the dancefloor you want your date to go. To turn to the right simply put pressure on the inside of your left foot and repeat above. Always keep your date and hands infront of you. If you drop your hands your girl could fall. No nookie for you if that happens

4. Remember to breath. When you first put pressure on your foot I want you to exhale. When you feel that your hands have put your date in the direction you wish to dance then inhale. Repeat with each turn. REMEMBER TO BREATH. You do not want to pass out on your date now do you. Laughing

5. Always look in your dates eyes and not her breasts. If you slow dance with a girl and look at her breast all of the time you will never get another dance. But if you look into her eyes you will get another dance. So if you look at your feet or at the ground infront of you while skiing you are going to crash and burn. By staying looking up you will keep dancing. (I know you know this, but it I feel most people forget about this simple step while skiing) Laughing

Have fun. That is most important Cool

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 26-03-08 3:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JB007, you are Swiss Toby and I claim my £10 wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for that explaination about the slow dancing - something to keep in mind Very Happy
Do you know if it'll take a long time to get up to speed again? I mean, I used to takle almost all black diamonds (USA) even with moguls and would like to get to this level (and possibly higher) in the near future.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JB007, Laughing Laughing Laughing Brilliant analogy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
minx wrote:
JB007, Laughing Laughing Laughing Brilliant analogy.

Wait till you hear how I teach women skiers. Laughing Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
burrd255314 wrote:
Thanks for that explaination about the slow dancing - something to keep in mind Very Happy
Do you know if it'll take a long time to get up to speed again? I mean, I used to takle almost all black diamonds (USA) even with moguls and would like to get to this level (and possibly higher) in the near future.

Actually given your experience. I think by the afternoon once you get the bugs out you will be on the blacks in no time at all. And with the new skis your skiing will be at a much higher level than ever before. Meaning you are going to have so much fun it isn't even silly. Very Happy
latest report
Well, I guess the season is already late now. Can't wait to hit Whistler in February Very Happy
snow conditions
JB007 wrote:
**note** measure your poles while wearing your ski boots and bent forward. Most shops misfit ski poles for customers. They have you standing strait up. You do not ski that way. Most skiers poles are 4" to long for them. I am 6'4" and my poles are 120cm length)

I am 5'10" and my poles are 125cm (118 from basket). Partly a matter of what you ski - I like steep slopes and I need that length (I still have to lean down the hill etc, as one should)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy