Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Wolfgang..any good?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi all, i posted a question in the 'the piste' section asking where would be a good place to go skiing for the 1st time with my girlfriend, as i also was thinking of popping the question while away, i wanted the place to be very pretty and romintic Puzzled

we wanted to go to Zell am See, but the travel agents kinda talked us out of it, as they said they didn't offer a 'learn to ski package' at Zell, and it wouldn't be good for begginers Sad

So they came up with St Wolfgang, as it had a learn to ski deal, and it was very pretty.

But is it any good? reviews of the place say its got no real nightlife, and the skiing isn't all that good?

Anyone been to both places??

Many thanks..

Tony Little Angel
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tony23, I haven't been to either, so I know no more than you, but everything I've read about St Wolfgang suggests that it's a complete and utter non starter for a ski holiday. Stick with Banff/Lake Louise, mate, you know it makes sense. After all, you want to see her ring sparkle, don't you? You won't get that in St Wolfgang, they discourage that sort of thing there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not been to St Wolfgang but I think the slopes are a coach ride away. For a first time trip, you want to be close to the slopes, so I would check that with the T/O tony23.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been to St Wolfgang, but only in summer - and same goes for Zell am See. The latter would be a much more suitable base, the skiing is closer, and from other reports I've read on Snowheads, it's fine for beginners.

There's a snowheads report on St Wolfgang somewhere, saying they had a rough hotel, too. I wouldn't go there for a ski holiday, and it beats me why anybody does. Even when you get to the slopes my understanding is that they are few, and fairly low in altitude. Nothing romantic about a slush fest.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tony23, I'm the same as pam w, been in summer to a nearby resort and would fully recommend it in summer - but not in winter, for a start St Wolfgang is on the wrong side of the lake to the skiing which is a fair way away by bus. The nearest area was closed a few years ago due to lack of interest / snow. The area looks quite big I seem to remember from seeing a piste map - but convenient it ain't!

Zell on the over hand is a nice town, great lake and has some beginner is skiing.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tony 23: I have been to St Wolgang a few years ago. It is a pretty place but not one I would recommend as a learn to ski centre. Biggest drawback is that you need to be up and out at the right time to catch the coach for the 1/2 hour or so trip to the ski area, then come back when the coach does in the late afternoon Sad . You can sometimes decide to catch a lunchtime coach back if you've had enough for the day. So not very flexible. Nightlife:- Few bars and restaurants but not a place that you would say had a bustling nightlife! My reccomendation would be to go somewhere that is more mainstream ski resort and avoid the concrete complexes if you want "Pretty" If you are thinking of going this year in Europe then you have a few weeks of the season left - recent snowfall and more predicted over the next few days should leave you with a wide open choice!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tony23, I don't think your travel agent has done her homework as Learn to Ski packages are offered in Zell am See and it is perfect for beginners. I know that Crystal/Thomson and Direct Ski do a package that is quite good value for money. The town is very romantic as well, especially if you choose the right hotel (Hotel Romantik for example!). St Wolfgang is less of a ski resort; as people have said, it's a long bus ride to the slopes. Zell also has very good nightlife so I think it would be a good choice for you. Change your travel agent, or better still, book direct!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy