Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting nervous about driving this weekend

Poster: A snowHead
Getting nervous about driving this weekend

First time I have driven from UK to skiing rather than flying / bus transfer!. Weather for driving looks shocking. Never been nervous about driving before, but I really do not know what to expect.

I am going from midlands to Dijon on Friday, and then on to Les Arcs on Saturday AM. I was planning to leave Dijon about 6:30 am to ‘try’ and miss some of the queues, but now wondering if I should leave it later for the snow to be cleared from the roads.

I have chains, and practiced using them, but no winter tyres.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ringingmaster, Would suggest you leave Dijon earlier

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=892921#892921
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What thefatcontroller said. Its gonna take you a good three hours from Dijon anyway, so get ahead of the masses.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I thought you must be coming up to Scotland at first - then snow on the roads might be a problem. From experience of driving to skiing annually for about 10 years mainly in february, the French are pretty good at clearing the roads quickly - particularly main roads. Getting into the resort can be another matter, particularly if it is a high resort like Les Arc, but it has to be really bad to be a problem.

I'd echo thefatcontroller, though and the earlier you get their the better.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The road up to Les Arcs is cleared very efficiently, from very early in the morning (overnight if necessary). It has also been quite warm recently so the road itself won't accumulate snow as quickly as it does in the depths of winter. However, if you arrive in a blizzard there is a strong chance that you will need to use chains, so worthwhile having a quick practice with these before you get to the snow. I don't think you need to leave any earlier than 6.30am from Dijon, and I wouldn't leave it any later because the traffic will be grim.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ringingmaster, If it snows you just have to be patient. Most likely you'll get stuck in a queue behind a bus. As long as you don't have any pressing appointments on Saturday you'll be fine. Remember chains go on when there is snow on the road, not before. Most likely you'll get to BSM ok, and then be required to stop in an 'Aire de chainage' to put them on.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ringingmaster, I've done the trip many a times now. In my view you really have nothing to worry about, the worst part is getting to Dover!

From Calais to Lyon the roads are fine and I doubt you'll have any snow problems - the few times there have been snow on this part, I saw more snow ploughs in an hour than in the entire winter at home! This part is no different to driving in the UK, apart from less traffic, better roads, nicer scenery and more and better rest areas.

From Lyon through it will climb and the roads are a bit more bendy and there is a chance of more snow. Again providing you drive at an appropriate speed it is easy. The only time you are likely to need chains is the last couple of miles - if you've practiced putting them on that's great. If the signs on the approach to the resorts suggest chains are required, stop early when its flat and there is space to fit them. Remember to keep speed below 20 when fitted.

While I can see the benefit of winter tyres, I use the usual UK all season tyres. I would also leave Dijon a bit earlier
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't forget to "pray" while fitting chains

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ringingmaster, Boris's pic demonstrates two very important additional bits of kit for fitting your chains- gloves and mat - well worth having IMHO.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ringingmaster, One small tip that was invaluable when the snowstorm started at Lyon a few seasons ago (!) as soon as the snow on the hard shoulder etc begins to build up, fill your car to the top of it's tank at the earliest oppurtunity, thus giving one less thing to worry about! Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
having never fitted snow chains due to hire cars having excellent snow tyres, I am no expert, but I always pack a head torch just in case.....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ringingmaster, I agree - if you have a full tank you can keep your car warm even if you get stuck in a jam all night!!! If you've practised putting chains on, you'll be ahead of the game and despite some of the comments above you could well have to put them on for quite some distance, given the forecast. I was once in a coach which had to put on chains before Albertville, and as the drivers appeared to have very little clue how to do it, it took a while.

Have food and drink in the car too, and maybe a good book. snowHead

I'm not expert on routes to Les Arcs; is it possible to avoid Lyon? That can be quite difficult, traffic-wise.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Got back last night. Thanks everyone for all the help
Going down on Good Friday was heavy through France, with some 30 min hold-ups in Lille and in Reims. Took 6.5 Hours from Dunkerque to get to Dijon. Sat AM was sleeting in Dijon through to Lyon, and then cleared up. Had a good run to Bourg-S-Maurice, hitting the TomTom prediction within a couple of minutes. Got jammed in the Super U car park!! Made it up to Les Arcs by 12:30, and needed chains for the last ¼ mile.

Journey back was dry and about as uneventful as a journey can be, apart from being flashed by the radar while doing ~140KPH. Waiting for the ticket. ;-(

p.s. skiing / conditions were great. Kids first week on the snow, and by Tuesday they were heading into the deep snow on the side of the piste. By Wednesday the were snow-ploughing down moguls on black runs. Generally having a wonderful time!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ringingmaster, Good to hear it all went well. WTR speed camera, you may be OK if it was 140kph - fingers crossed.

PS Assuming it was a 130 limit wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ringingmaster, doubt you'll hear anything
latest report
ringingmaster, glad it went well.
ski holidays
ringingmaster, glad you had a great week. Am off to Knottingley tonight after a begging phone call from MST - still trying to get my head round the S10 method!
snow conditions
ringingmaster, If you are on UK plates dont worry about the ticket, UK and France are not joined up speeding wise yet. Watch out if you have plates from a country that France is joined up with though as the accepted tolerence for speeding is 5%. Friend was fined by camera for 139kmph on the A26 autoroute
snow conditions
For the record, it is now 10 weeks on, and no ticket has arrived. wink
snow conditions
ringingmaster, .... I think you might just have gotten away with it this time .... Laughing
snow conditions
ringingmaster, If you were only 10kph over the limit they won't bother. If it was 20kph they probably will.... I got caught speeding in Belgium and the ticket came a good 12 weeks later Sad
latest report
Timmaah, As far as I am aware the UK is not joined up with any other European country regarding motoring offences, yet, despite Neil Kinocks best efforts a few years ago. I understand from a Dutch friend that they have an agreement with Germany so would assume from what you say that Belgium has as well. I have set a few UK cameras off in the past in a French car and never received a ticket.

As I said above the tolerence for speeding in France is 5% so on the auto route you only need to be doing 137KMpH to get a ticket.
latest report
Aah ok, would make sense. Isn't there talk of the EU introducing some EU-wide database soon though?
latest report
The last I heard was a few years ago when Kinnock held some Euro post and he appeared to be pushing it, to be honest I have not heard anything else since then. Like everything though I guess its just a matter of time, its a vote winer for sure rolling eyes

Remeber though in France they do use mobile cameras more than fixed and the Agence des Impots d'Autoroute(Gendarmerie) will expect payment on the spot if you get caught, although you will not get points.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy