Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Poster: A snowHead
Swiss Francs to the £

OUCH !!!

Glad we paid for the hotel 2 months ago at 2.11
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The pound is dipping against most major currencies. MSB in Scotland next year?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I got 2.46 when I paid the deposit on my apt back in July. I wish it was that now!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
masmith, yep. Painful. I live in Switzerland but get paid in £ and $. (Working for a UK based subsid of a US co.) Ouch indeed. Although, earning less means I pay less tax...?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can anyone explain to me in simple terms, why the pound has turned to rat shite?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMZ

Saw you last week when I booked my mate in for boots - Seb saw him and sent him away because you didn't have any wide enough for his hobbit like feet. Laughing

AFAIK

Interest rates, when the UK interest rate falls (or when people predict they will fall) people get less return for their deposits. International money will chase the best interest rates but paying regard to balance of payments, political/economic stability and other variables. Interest rates are predicted to come down in the UK, as they have been in the US and thus money gets shifted away from these currencies as they are less in demand.
Puzzled

I think? Anyway that's what I remember from economics from about 14 years ago...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just googled it....

Reasons for the decline in Pound Sterling include:

Economic Growth in UK forecast to fall. This means that interest rates are likely to fall. Lower interest rates make the UK a less attractive place to invest hot money flows (get a better return elsewhere)

Housing Crash. Some predict a fall in house prices like the US. Even if they don’t crash, it is probable they will at least stagnate. Consumer confidence will fall. The housing market is one of the main reasons for the predicted slowdown in the economy.

Balance of Payments. 2007 has seen a widening of the UK current account deficit. This leads to an an outflow of foreign currency, putting downward pressure on sterling.

Strength of the Euro. Many are predicting the Euro is taking over the dollar as the world’s dominant currency. This is increasing demand for Euros and causing the Euros strength at expense of other currencies such as the Pound Sterling.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bucking bronco, Puzzled

So what happened? Was he happy, did Seb try and fit him or find any boots?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bucking bronco, I think i remember, i took your seat?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
OK, so here's another question. The trading currency for oil is dollars, so each barrel of oil that gets imported into Europe gets paid for in dollars right? Given that the dollar has fallen in value against the Euro by about 20% in the last year, why is this fact not reflected in the euro price we pay for oil here?
Yes I do understand that the dollar price for oil has also risen by >20% over the last year or so ( I think it was at about $80 per barrel a year ago ), but in my simplistic view of things then at least here in Europe we should be seeing significantly lower rises than what we have in fat seen over the last year. What am I missing Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

Quote:

Can anyone explain to me in simple terms, why the pound has turned to rat shite?

No-one has any idea least of all the numb nuts in the City....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm not really that concerned about the pound but I really want to know just how wide that guys feet were Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mosh, Wide enough for the tools to have been needed and the French part of Seb' kicked in. Puzzled Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, tools???? Were any in use at the end of braveheart Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Murdoch, thank the lord most of my work operates CHF <--> EUR which is holding pretty stable. Now, of course, is the time for us to be buying in the UK, of course Wink
ski holidays
eng_ch, I was thinking the same thing. Scotland here we come.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, and Scotland has great snow this year - maybe forex rates are in fact Snowrex rates?
ski holidays
bucking bronco wrote:
Strength of the Euro. Many are predicting the Euro is taking over the dollar as the world’s dominant currency. This is increasing demand for Euros and causing the Euros strength at expense of other currencies such as the Pound Sterling.

Hmmm, anyone else think we really should have entered the Euro zone a few years ago?!
snow report
roga, nope. I do business in $, £ and € (with the great majority of my costs in £). I'm not sure I'd have any profitable $ business left if we were in the €; meanwhile our € business is becoming more profitable.
latest report
IIRC, last time we had a major pound 'slide' and got kicked out of the ERM the following years were boom time for the UK. Cheap £'s mean cheap exports to our nearest market so while the EUROzone stagnated the UK thrived. Is it going to be different this time? Why?
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:
masmith, yep. Painful. I live in Switzerland but get paid in £ and $. (Working for a UK based subsid of a US co.) Ouch indeed. Although, earning less means I pay less tax...?

I'll buy you a pint David, I still get paid in CHF.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

I work on the trading floor (foreign exchange) here at a US bank.
The technical answer to the question, that's been banded about for a few months now, is that this country is completely f***ed !
snow report
^ why?
snow conditions
Since most of our holiday ski accommodation is paid for in GBP, I'm seriously considering moving some CHF into the UK for next year's hols while the exchange rate is so silly. Only question now is what's likely to happen over the next couple of months
ski holidays
eng_ch, I transferred some pounds to our French account in October. It was a very wise move.
ski holidays
eng_ch, we're buying some £s with our Euro profit from the last 12 months. We sent several £ks over to our Austrian bank account 12 months ago and the Euro amount we bought it is buying us considerably more £ now.

D
latest report
Reading the posts above I'm getting visions of Channel Four replacing all their property programs with programs about middle class dabblers in the currency trade. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Kramer, who would you have present it?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
eng_ch, I transferred some pounds to our French account in October. It was a very wise move.

Me too Very Happy Trouble is I have nearly spent it all now Sad

Although the refund on our Paradiski season passes has helped a bit snowHead
snow conditions
Kramer, that smacks a bit of inverse snobbery to me. We'd be silly not to move money while we can if we can, no?
latest report
eng_ch, yes, it's more a case of having to 'dabble' to make things work (and to protect ourselves), rather than any kind of rubbing my hands together in glee type of thing, as I know it is likely to come back to bite me at some point or other.

D
snow report
If you guys are earning in Britain and are having to make regular payments in € at known times, why don't you cover your butts by buying Euro options or Euro futures? Or do the amounts not warrant that kind of behaviour?
ski holidays
Steilhang, in my case it isn't that much. My euro income is small and goes straight to my French account and stays there. The income from my apartment covers the mortgage and bills.
ski holidays
Steilhang, amounts are relatively small. We converted a larger amount when we bought the place, but since then it's all been the other way, all my income and outgoings for the apartment is handled in my Austrian account, so no ongoing regular conversions at all really. The amount mentioned above is a one-off by virtue of the fact that we only purchase 12 months ago.

D
snow report
Steilhang, surprisingly I gained by not fixing the price of my sterling transfers when I bought our place a couple of years ago. The pound rose against the euro during that time, so I saved myself a bit.
snow conditions
eng_ch wrote:
Kramer, that smacks a bit of inverse snobbery to me. We'd be silly not to move money while we can if we can, no?

Sorry, rolling eyes weren't meant for those trying to take advantage of the changing exchange rates, more about the fact that I don't think that house prices are going to be such a popular topic in the coming years, and so something will have to replace it in the programming schedules. If I were Kirsty and Phil, I'd be quaking in my boots. Laughing
latest report
Kramer wrote:

If I were Kirsty and Phil, I'd be quaking in my boots. Laughing

Quite, have you seen how much airtime that Martin-"money-saving-expert"-Lewis is getting these days.
ski holidays
Am I the only one that thinks that the thread title refers to a version of the directx dll that I need to have?
snow conditions
Hoppo, quite possibly. wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy