Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal ski carriage weight limit - less than a pair of skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Off with Crystal to L2A on Saturday. Paid for pre-bookable ski-carriage, but just now reading the small print:

- Weight allowance for ski carriage: 6kg.

OK. Out with the scales.....

- Salomon Crossmax skis (1m62) + lightweight graphite poles: 6.1kg

Hmm. Might need to put them in a bag:

- Single sportube: 3.4 kg.

How on earth can Crystal be selling ski carriage where the weight allowance is actually less than a pair of fairly short/light piste skis and graphite poles? What do they expect tall skiers to do, or skiers with fat off piste skis? Don't they want skis to be put in a bag?

Has anyone else come across this, and any experience of whether this ridiculous limit is actually enforced at the airport?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That does seem silly.

Just weighed my Rossi Z9s (154cm) and they come in at 5.5kg.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PaulClark, Not hit it myself, but sounds like typical TUI group bolleax to me Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Obviously just ski carriage for teenage kids and not adults.

We went with Inghams this year on a last minute thing and didn't spot anything.

It is all just crazy stuff.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PaulClark, That's been in the TUI small print for years. The only time I've seem them check on skis was in Dec 06 (at Bristol) and that was just to make sure that there was only one pair of skis per bag.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jtr, Good to know. Thanks.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm sure it was 8Kg when I went in January.

But I have never yet known them weigh the skis.

Maybe they are assuming that people don't reallly need the standard 20Kg for other hings, so you canb use part of that for the skis Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PaulClark wrote:
any experience of whether this ridiculous limit is actually enforced at the airport?

Nope, not in our four trips (Thompson x2 Neilson x 2) even though it said 6 kg in the blurb.

They just don't weigh them - so long as they are light enough to throw them about Shocked they don't seem to worry
I put my boots in the bag with my snowboard too. When you get to the check-in with one pair of skis in a soft bag and queue up with dozens of peeps dragging the great wheeled jobs around you'll wonder why you bothered to ask this question Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Neilson have upped the allowance for a ski bag to give you an additional 10kg on top of your normal allowance per number of ski carriages booked. - http://www.neilson.co.uk/FAQ.aspx . I'm not sure what Crystal offer, but will find out on Sat when I fly from Stansted to Grenoble. I'm taking two pairs of skis, each with full metal 916 bindings (bloody heavy) and plates, and my bag with just the two pairs of skis and a pair of poles in it weighed in at 15kg in Feb.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PaulClark, Flew with Crystal earlier this year and noticed the 6kg limit. I phoned them and pointed out that my skis weighed 6.2kg and the SportTube another 3kg. Told not to worry and that the low limit was to stop people filling ski bags with clothes etc to get arouynd the 20kg luggage limit. They said that as long as a ski bag/case only contained one pair of skis and poles there would not be a problem.

Hope that helps.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JP - and everyone - Thanks. Over all, sounds like it's not going to be a problem.

And if it is, I'll have very good grounds to get Crystal to refund any charges levied at the airport.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy