Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Medical expenses - EHC advice

Poster: A snowHead
Just had a phone call from my rather anxious 21 year old nephew. He is currently holed up in hospital in Kitzbuhel after going down with a nasty virus. The typically efficient Austrian medics have decided he needs to kept in overnight and have run a whole battery of tests on him... x-rays, scans, blood tests... the works !

In spite of having produced his EHC and passport, he is worried sick (no pun intended) about being presented with a hefty bill that he will have to pay before he is allowed to leave the hospital - hopefully tomorrow.

I've tried reassuring him that this won't be the case... that this is exactly what his EHC is for... but he is still uber anxious.

Any of you guys had any similar experiences ? Any info I can phone back to reassure him with ?

Danke !
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends whether he is in a state hospital or private clinic. He will have to pay something either way.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
burkeyblue, it'd be a smart idea to keep his travel insurance company informed.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I suspect that he will have the same entitlement to health care as the locals, whatever that is. My OL saw the quack in Kitzbuhel and had a hefty bill, which the travel ins paid.

PS Have a look here. Looks like he'll have to pay something, but his insurance should cover it.

My father spent a week or so in hospital in Austria, a few years ago, and his bill must have been picked up by someone, presumably travel insurance, otherwise I'd still be hearing about it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zell am See hospital make a small charge for an overnight stay. Last year I think it was about £14 per night. Not sure if this has to be paid up front, or is billed, but is not too bad.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If he can't pay, let them bill him . They can't keep him against his will.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The EHIC covers about 70% of the cost, and he probably won't be billed for that as the hospital usually deals with the NHS. He may have to pay the rest depending on a) what his travel insurance covers and b) whether the hospital is happy to deal direct with the assistance company. THat's what happens here, at any rate.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard, AFAIK, Austria is different. They have a system similar to ours where healthcare is free at the point of delivery. Obviously if he is in a private hospital then it will be different, but if it is a public one then there should be no charge (except for the small "overnight fee") provided he presents either EHIC or passport.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks guys for all your quick responses. As a newbie to SNOWHEADS I'm quickly beginning to like this place !
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
burkeyblue, my other half was in hospital in Kitz at Christmas in 06, and a close friend was in hospital in Zell Am See the week before last - as we had the EHIC card, we just got a small bill on leaving for the overnight stay, was about EUR70 for three nights. He will need to get this bill from the reception on the way out, and can pay it there and then, or alternatively I think they will invoice if necessary.

As per Elizabeth B, healthcare in Austria is free at the point of delivery, and UK citizens are entitled to that with the EHIC card, or just with a UK passport. There will be no charge for the tests and treatment, so he will only get a very small bill for accommodation.

Hope he's better soon.

D
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Deliaskis, is the hospital close to the slopes? I paid EUR75 a night B&B last month, so EUR70 for 3 nights is very reasonable, especially as I understand that standards of comfort and catering are high in Austrian hospitals.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
richmond, Laughing great idea!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
richmond Laughing ! Ski bus stop right outside!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richmond, Laughing Laughing it's good to have you back again Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cathy, glad to be here. How was Kitzbuhel? Did you keep out of the very popular hospital?
snow report
richmond, 'the very popular hospital' - whose corridors echo with the swish of salopettes...
snow conditions
richmond, unfortunately had to stay in slightly more expensive accommodation. Kitzbuhel was good and we seem to have developed a strange affection for the place. OK the skiing isn't all that fantastic but we did become very fond of the town and ski area. Even to the extent where we're thinking of going back again! Shocked Toofy Grin Maybe helped by a few people in bars/restuarants recognising us from last year Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
cathy, same here. We're going for a week in the summer.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy