Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many hard falls do you take per season?

How many hard falls do you take per season?
fewer than one per season
27%
 27%  [ 31 ]
25%
 25%  [ 28 ]
16%
 16%  [ 18 ]
6%
 6%  [ 7 ]
4 or more
19%
 19%  [ 22 ]
can't remember: I hit my head...
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Voted : 111
Total Votes : 111

Poster: A snowHead
By hard I mean anything that causes bruising or more serious injury, sliding out of control, other lingering pain, binding release, or that causes a lingering confidence shakeup.

Silly pops into the snow not worth remembering except for the laughter or ego deflation are not included. If in doubt: not included.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 19-03-08 0:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I just brush myself down. Like Jaws in the Bond movies. And ski on wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
comprex, I don't ski in seasons - I ski in weeks - so far I've averaged one per week!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
why have "fewer than one per season"?

i'm sure people would understand "0"!

I'm not commenting on my crashes as it may jinx me Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitegold, me too, or used to.

Last two seasons it's been a season-ender each time.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
shoogly wrote:

I'm not commenting on my crashes as it may jinx me Madeye-Smiley

It's for people who only half fall over Wink or for something such as one fall every two to three seasons.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you include a binding release as a hard fall I fall into the highest category, if you permit the pun. But is a binding release really a hard fall?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I did take a belter on some off piste just above Plagne Bellecote this year, just by the jump.

Tried to turn right, weight too far back, skis went straight downhill.

My body eventually overtook my skis and I landed head-first, much to the amusement of the people in the chairlift I was ski-ing underneath.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, I wouldn't think so, as I have had some quite innocuous falls where my bindings released, and one nasty one where they didn't.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, I started this thread after reading about not carrying things (rib bruising etc.). So, on those terms yes, unless each release is really a walk-out.

I do expect to gain insight on

- how hard people do indeed push themselves
- how people expect their bindings to release
- how much people indeed remember (or think they do)

through the comments.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 18-03-08 14:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex wrote:
rob@rar, I started this thread after reading about not carrying things (rib bruising etc.). So, on those terms yes, unless each release is really a walk-out.

OK, got yah. In which case I fall a lot, although some of them would surely fall into the category of crash! Just last week I pulled muscles in my arm after a high speed fall when I failed to make a safe transition from piste to off-piste, a double heel release and superman impression after finding a hidden hole in the powder and an accelerating face-first slide down a gully.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So if someone while skiing offpiste has a bit of ice on their boot which later causes them to pre-release from the binding causing them to tumble a bit but without being bruised or confidence shattered, is this classed as a hard tumble?

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 18-03-08 15:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB, I think so, for the purpose of this thread.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not sure I can average it out. I've fallen more this season than in the last 5 put together. Had a good one last week where we all had to go round again and inspect the various (distributed) holes in the snow where skis, poles and body landed. Hip's still purple from that one Wink OTOH I think I'm skiing better this season. Maybe there's a correlation?!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:

OK, got yah. In which case I fall a lot, although some of them would surely fall into the category of crash! Just last week I pulled muscles in my arm after a high speed fall when I failed to make a safe transition from piste to off-piste, a double heel release and superman impression after finding a hidden hole in the powder and an accelerating face-first slide down a gully.

I've done that, except it was a 5-foot wall of snow hidden by fog. Park City, 1993, 102inches of fresh in the week. Cracked jawbone, split goggles, blood gushing out onto the turtleneck, ~1000 feet of vertical left to ski. Had momentum enough to launch myself ~40 feet past the transition, so of course had to posthole back up to the piste.

Worst of all, I didn't even know I was injured until heard my partner moaning, stuck on his back in bottomless, ski tails anchoring him down from moving anything. "Dude, you're bleeding". Gee, you're welcome there Patrick, sorry to drip on ya. rolling eyes At least the Japanese guy stuck behind -him- was polite about it. To complete my luck, one of the guys in the patrol shack was a plastic surgeon.
ski holidays
Oodles then. Heading close to one a day.

The best to date being a slow-mo "ooooooohhhhhhh sshhhhhhhhhhiii....." through a tree, a double sideways release when I turned into gully that turned out to be some 6 inches narrower than my skis were long and (the perennial favourite) the classic double-heel-release-powder-landing-to-superman-to-face.

Carry a rucksack all the time, tend not to use pole straps much and run bindings at type III. No injuries yet.
snow report
plenty... hitting rocks , tree stumps or marmotts etc. off piste Toofy Grin overdoing it in rutt lines... most painful are the lowish speed edge catches doing braquage or 360 spins. ouch...
ski holidays
skimottaret, or attempting to ski on one ski down a red piste round a pole slalom Twisted Evil
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
... or marmotts ...

I came within six inches of skiing into some kind of mountain hare last week, on the back side of Mont Chery. It suddenly appeared out of the snow just in front of me, then made a dash for some nearby trees. I was so surprised a took a tumble!
snow conditions
beanie1, exactly I am still sore from that little tumble and the elbow is all bruised up

rob@rar, i flushed a bunch of birds once out from a tree and was soo shocked when they flew into me i went straight into the tree Laughing
snow report
skimottaret, You're a COCK.
snow report
I agree that 'binding release' and 'hard fall' are not necessarily synonymous. I don't think I've EVER had a 'hard fall' (as in one that caused "bruising or more serious injury, sliding out of control, other lingering pain," but my bindings have let go a couple of times after a tumble.
snow conditions
I had a bit of a cartwheel on the gates on plastic a few months back - quite a big one and horribly grazed / bruised knees, but didn't affect confidence. I find the ones that do that are the high speed edge catches.
latest report
None so far this season, one last season which broke three ribs and a hand (broke ribs on hand rolling eyes )
snow conditions
Axsman, it seems to be working nonetheless. If in doubt, leave it out.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 18-03-08 16:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
comprex,

Skied very poorly last time out but the worst I have had was in La PLagne last year when I got taken out on a piste. Just as well that it was the last day as it ended there anyway.... F**** silly cow...!!!!!!
Most dangerous place these days in some resorts..
ski holidays
comprex, Yeah, I voted 'fewer than one' on that basis. Very Happy
ski holidays
Axsman, very good sir.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some of us ski slow enough in terrain tame enough that a binding release is the only "hard fall" one could sustain...Wink The only bruising were my egos. Sad

I'm incline to vote as Axsman. But since I ski moguls A LOT, I do have binding release more than once a season. Some days more than once a day!!! Shocked

I haven't read the other thread mentinoed. Still, my few real injuries all happen while standing still or getting on chair lifts! Embarassed
latest report
shoogly wrote:

You might consider yourself to have 1 such fall every other season in which case your number per season is 0.5, which is fewer than 1 but not equal to 0.
ski holidays
I always seem to come away from a trip with the odd bruise and various aches. Then again... I'm over 40 and am getting into jumps, drop offs etc. I seem to have little interest in skiing where I am not pushing myself to advance. Guess I'll never grow up rolling eyes
snow conditions
Normaly have one fall per season that stops me skiing for a few days this season it was while walking over a sledging slope rolling eyes
Season = 30-40 days for me.
ski holidays
Skiing, I generally fall in powder, or in bumps, with no harm done. But on the snowboard, bone-jarring/bruising edge catches happen too often.
snow conditions
Less than 1 a season, but it's normally a full on garage sale, when I do go over.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
skimottaret, You're a COCK.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
I've only had a couple this year - sort of sit-downs in quite deep powder. The hardest thing about those was getting back up.

Last year on the other hand, I fell very hard and bruised a rib and hurt my thumb (which still isn't mended) with my ski pole. Then a bit later the same week, trying to do a jump, I landed full frontal. The river of blood that came out of my nose is on video somewhere public Embarassed and I broke the rib I'd bruised a month or so earlier.

I don't really like falling - it generally hurts.
ski holidays
Only had one painful one this year, bent my thumb and it's still sore now. There's a name for that type of injury I think..............and no it's not muppet's thumb before anyone makes that or similar suggestions Toofy Grin
snow report
Don't really know how to answer the poll, so make your won mind up from this:

Tumbles resulting in lost ski/headplant etc - probably average about 1/skiing-day, generally in innocuous terrain.
Tumbles resulting in slide requiring some kind of control/arrest - maybe 1/skiing-week.
Tumbles resulting in bruising/pain, on snow: now maybe 1 in 8 skiing weeks, nothing more serious than a slight bruise though for > 3 years
Tumbles resulting in bruising/pain, on plastic (racing): 3 broken fingers in last 2 years, 2 bad thumps to knee in previous year resulting in several weeks reduced mobility.
ski holidays
RachelQ, I did demonstrate to you at the end of last season how to fall over without hurting yourself. See... my instruction must have worked Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Scarpa, I reckon it must have done Very Happy I've still got another week to go though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy