Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French police cut ski thefts but accuse fraudsters

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In a wave of action against ski thieves in the Isere and Savoie regions of the French Alps, Gendarmes have also identified significant levels of fraud against rental shops, and sometimes by rental shops. They have also cited what they believe is a surprising level of claims by British skiers.

French TV station France 3, investigating the issues involved, have spoken to the local police departments and discovered several angles... Although ski theft crime is reported to have fallen 50% in a year in Isere (Les Deux Alpes and Alpe d'Huez are mentioned), there has been less success in the Haute Savoie (10% improvement). They say that 24% of complaints are filed by British skiers who only account for 7% of visits.

Many claims involve rental equipment, and the gendarmes are suspicious that these claims are often filed at the end of a stay. Rental shops themselves are accused of filing false claims to obtain new equipment.

This report (in French) from France 3.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Following the value chain... what happens to the stolen kit? Is the Grenoble/Lyon small ads fool of unwanted gifts? Or does it go further afield?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SussexSnow, there are some suggestions in this snowHeads thread. Second-hand ski fairs or stolen to order, according to les gendarmes...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That 24% of claims being by Brits looks suspicious to me. I would suspect some involvement in the fraud by the hire shop. It would be interesting to see the breakdown of % claims by the source of the insurance (own policy or taken out when hiring). I would guess that fraud is more prevalent when using the hire shops' insurance.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not so sure, a number of foreign skier I have met before don't have theft innsurance, so I guess if their skis were stolen they probably wouldn't take the time to go to the police and fill out the report forms

Just a thougt anyway wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
D G Orf, should be covered on the house insurance for most of them.... I think...I need to check now you mention this Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well my Bandits got nicked in Courchevel 1850 and it deffo wasn't fraudulent. Had a couple of beers in the Jump Bar and when I came out there they weren't. Being one who always thinks the best of others I assumed someone had picked up the wrong pair and went back later to find a somewhat upset english lady who'd had hers nicked as well. Later in the week someone else staying in the same chalet had theirs nicked from just below Croisette.

Reporting it to the Gendarmerie I saw there was a long list.

Plug for Fortis travel insurance. Luckily I had the receipt from Val d'Isere where I'd bought them the year before. I'd skiied on them for 4 days so I suggested they pay me out cost less 4 days hire charge which they did by return.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How many Snowheads would be prepared to pay one Euro(or equivalent) to have skis looked after at the bottom of the pistes so that lunch/apres-ski can be enjoyed in relaxed mood?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is it Beaver Creek where they have ski-check at the 'fine dining' restaurants? Always thought there was room for someone to offer the check-in and a quick wax, edges etc.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Times has today picked up on this story, with additional detail on the theft and insurance fraud situation in the French Alps, reported by Adam Sage. Click here.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SussexSnow,

A lot of North American resorts have a ski-check area, and surprisingly it's often free. Now I ALWAYS take advantage of this.

(After not taking advantage of it at Deer Valley in the 30 minutes at the end of the day before the bus went, and finding that my skis had disappeared. Fortunately, they reappeared the next day, having been mistakenly loaded up by another skier, who must have been a bit mystified to have found them locked together with my ski lock).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy