Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rossignol Zenith Z9 or Fischer AMC 76/79 - Advice appreciated

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Apologies in advance but I've re-posted this question in it's own topic as I had tagged it to someone else's post last week but only got one reply. I'm assuming a lot of you may have been on the MSB.

I've just got back from a recent trip to Arabba and hired both Volkl Titanium Cross Tigers (can't remember exact model - black with red and white writing) in a 168cm length followed by Rossignol Zenith Z9's in a 170cm length a couple of days later. Both of these were in the top range. I consider myself to be a confident intermediate but still has plenty to learn.

The Volkls were very grippy and easy to turn. Very good on steep icy bits but they were unstable unless on a hard edge and squirrley when going straight downhill. They also made my left foot ache on the outside. Compared to the Rossignols they had a high arch to them when viewed from the side (unsure of technical term here). I presume this could be the reason for the foot ache ?

When I got on the Z9's it was completely different and a whole lot better. They were much more stable at speed, turned nearly as well (with no understeer - driving term) and were much better at handling slush, powder, off piste and normal on piste conditions. They were not quite as grippy on the ice but I preferred that, although I noticed the edges were actually sharper on the Volkls so that may account for this difference. They also seemed a lot quicker.

I'd now like to buy a pair but still would have liked to have hired Fischer AMC 76 or 79's to compare (none of these in the shop at the time), as these are a bit cheaper to buy. Can anyone with experience of the Z9's and the Fischer AMC skis comment on the similarities/differences ?

The relative measurements for these skis are as follows

Rossignol Zenith Z9 Oversize: 126-74-105 Radius = 15m @ 170cm
Fischer AMC 76: 120-76-106 Radius = 16m @ 170cm
Fischer AMC 79: 116-79-104 Radius = 18m @ 170cm

btw, I'm about 75Kg and 6'1"

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've not skied the Z9s but like my AMC76s a lot. From what I know of the Z9 they are more piste-biased whereas the AMC79 is more off-piste, so I would think the 76 is more equivalent to what you are looking for.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got a pair of last seasons Z9s and love them. Used them for the first time in Flaine in January and liked them on anything I put them on which included off piste and powder. I'm quite an aggressive skier and I found these not bad at all.

I'm afraid I've not been on any Fischers in a very long time so I'm unable to compare I'm afraid.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
the ice perv, thanks. That was my conclusion as well but unless I can pick the AMC 76's up really cheap my tendency is to wait for some Z9's, as thats the skii I hired.

Do your AMC 76's feel really stable on icy pistes when pushed hard. The volkl's I tried chattered an awful lot whereas the Z9's were fine ?

Are they quick edge to edge and easy to turn ?

Thanks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowaddict, thanks
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pokemon, i ski the AMC 79 and like it a lot. Sure there's faster turning skis out there, but if you put the effort in, short swings and tighter carves are possible. The natural arc of the 79s is obviously greater but they are excellent on any on-piste condition that i used them on. Off piste they coped very well in a variety of conditions and if you can get power into them then they'll bash through cruddier conditions as well, but are probably happier floating on top of the crud. Lots of fun and not that tiring to ski as they are pretty light due to the carbon/metal construction. I'd say that the 79s are a different type of ski than the 76s and Z9 though with the later two being more carve orientated that will cope with off piste conditions.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pokemon, apart from the Head Supershapes the AMC76s are the best piste skis I've tried. They will also handle a bit of off-piste without problem, whereas the Supershapes are very much piste-orientated. They are very light so you can ski all day and not feel knackered. I have heard some people say they chatter but I've not found it a problem. Even tho we are very similar in build, I prefer a short length (under 170) so never really find turning a problem on skis.

At the end of the day if you can't demo them you've got to decide whether to take a chance. How much more would it cost you for the Z9s? It might be worth it to get the ski you love.......
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the ice perv, The AMC 76's are generally going for about £100-£130 + £30 delivery/binding mounting from ski bilek, whereas the Z9's are about £250 + £30 from ski bilek, so about £120 - £150 difference. I suppose this is a small difference if it's the ski I want.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

whereas the Z9's are about £250

Ouch! Are they? I'm sure they weren't that cheap when I looked - mine just cost me 370 quid!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can I show complete ignorance and say that I'd never come across the Cross Tigers before... Embarassed Very embarassing for a Volkl enthusiast...

I can't comment on them, but by God, when I tried Z9s and Tigersharks (10FT) the Tigersharks were simply phenomenal (that isn't at all to say that I thought the Z9s were poor, they were great too, just not to the same level). Of course, the Tigersharks are a good couple of hundred quid more of course...

I've never skied on Fischers (but from what I've heard they might be suitable for my skiing). As such I can't really offer anything to the discussion, merely a slightly interesting side note.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bought a pair of AMC 76's with bindings from bilek for £121 plus delivery.Have only used them in the widely varying conditions in Scotland so far,but theyre the best ski i've ever been on - cant stop smiling when i'm on them Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy -a bargain too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
icyjock, great. Have you experienced any chatter when carving hard and also what is your height and weight and what length did you buy?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
icyjock, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
icyjock, Embarassed apologies for not spotting your first post and as Elizabeth B says, welcome to snowheads
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi ,thanks for welcome! I bought the 76's in 164 length (I have another pair of fischers in 176) ,im a shade under 11 stone ,5' 9"-im sure I used to be taller ,an age thing probably.Have used them in hard pack and recent powder( not on icy conditions yet) and havn't experienced any chatter ,very grippy indeed.Must say I spent some time deliberating before buying this length but as they were so cheap and I have a pair of 176s I decided to try them anyway.Best decision ever - as I said I cant stop smiling when im on them - so much fun - very turny and stable at speed.Obviously you would be looking at a longer length but I would say you wouldnt get better value for money than these.Cant wait for a nice day Very Happy to get back on them again.Hope this helps.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy