Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

World's longest snowdome enlarges its bier keller

Poster: A snowHead

The Alpincenter indoor snow piste at Bottrop, Germany, has boosted its facilities to include a 500-seater beer and buffet hall - surely one of the world's larger apres-ski venues! The 640m long snow run - built in 2001 - is the world's longest, with a 113m vertical. It snakes down a natural hillside like a very long shed...

The snowdome's pricing policy is an interesting contrast to the UK's domes. Food, drink and instruction are included in the price, which is as low as 19.90 Euros after 7pm. There are good family deals. Here's Bottrop Alpincenter's website, for those interested. It's located not far from Essen, Dortmund and Dusseldorf.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow! Nearly 4 times as long as MK - that's quite impressive.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And, look at those tasteful wooden beams. By comparison MK is like a giant meat locker Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't think the pricing policy can be that unusual. When I lived in Belgium I went to a nearby indoor slope most weeks, called Snow Valley. The price for an hour lesson, with kit hire worked out at about 10 quid for an hour. If you brought your own kit, or didn't have lessons, it was even less than that. That was back in 2000. It wasn't as if they weren't making money on it either. When I went over again in 2001 they had extended the slope at the top and it was still about the same price. Quite why we can't do it like that in Britain is a puzzle.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My understanding is that land prices and planning policies in the UK explain quite a lot. You simply can't just plonk a snowdome (or a hotel, or a cinema etc) down on a piece of cheap land and open the turnstiles.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 3-12-04 16:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah, this place is just down the road form me . The Germans maybe in economic recession but there one thing they dont skimp on , building things solid like there cars !
German Apres Ski is great there every night of the week Smile

We have this slope also which is just over 500M , Not bad.
http://www.snowworld.nl/content.aspx?pid=155&mnu=0#Tiroler%20Stube

and right here in Den Haag
www.deuithof.nl
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton, do they have a chairlift at the Alpincenter? What about the other places - what kind of lifts do they use?

P.S. I've done a search and this page has a photo of the SnowWorld snowdome at Landgraaf, Holland, with a chairlift visible. Apparently the pitch of this slope is good enough for slalom.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 3-12-04 16:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lager wrote:
Quite why we can't do it like that in Britain is a puzzle.

I can't speak for the snowdomes abroad, but having been to MK 4 times this year, only once did it approach anything loosely described as busy, and that seemed to be because of the construction of a half pipe, that effectively shoved everyone onto one slope.

Anyone have any vague, or even accurate info on the cost of running snowdomes? Set aside construction costs and land purchase.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On that specific point, I suspect the Germans and Dutch have got it right with these longer runs. To sustain interest and return trade you probably need a run that will take people a few minutes to enjoy before catching the lift.

And, as the Germans have clearly discovered, you need to build a bit of an oompah social scene to go with it, along with ski boot dancing and a lederhosen dress code.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This gives you a better idea of what it looks like . Makes MK Snowdome by what I hear a bit of a vicars tea party Madeye-Smiley

http://www.skiresort.de/germany/alpincenter.htm
http://www.besttips.de/ausflug/46236bottrop-alpincenter.htm
http://www.rvr-online.de/freizeit/sehenswuerdigkeiten/b_alpin_center.shtml

Enjoy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I believe I should go there and test that place out.

Anyone else want to come along?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maybe a snowHeads summer ski trip...??? snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sounds like a plan.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone else interested? Is it worth getting some costs together??
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat, would we be an entourage and would you be providing Ferrero Rocher? Toofy Grin
latest report
It could be arranged...
ski holidays
I think the concept or approach is different here than over in the UK .

We uses these centres to learn new snowsports.
A few years back a group of us in the middle of the summer used to go down to Snowworld in Zoetermeer during the lunchhour. We'd take a few lessons over a period of time to learn snowboarding or some people may want to learn Telemarking or vica versa.
Its way,way cheaper to learn in these centres than take a lesson at resorts and the Dutch are tighter than the Scotts with money, thats why they built so many over here Very Happy
The centre here in DenHaag www.deuithof.nl has alot of alternative sports you can do as well , Speed Skating, Climbing .
latest report
stanton, those links about Bottrop are really good, with some interesting photos. It seems to be in a very industrial and ugly landscape. What do all those factories in Bottrop make?
ski holidays
Looks top drawer! What a place. Laughing
snow conditions
Bottrop is in the "Ruhr" this(was) Germany's industrial heartland. There alot of Steel, Chemical Plants etc arounf there. The Slope it built on an old peat mine .
The towns are good fun , good nightlife in places like Dusseldorf.

In the Winter at weekends most Dutch & Germans from the Ruhr/Westphalia "Sauerland" to Ski just east of Obehausen . We dont use the Snow halls (no point) Very Happy

http://www.willingen.de

Only people living south of Frankfurt head to the Alps for the weekend. In the North we go to Sauerland or Nearby Osnabrück.
snow report
here this is better idea
http://ski.hochsauerland.de/wetter.html
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy