Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland resorts-dragtastic

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello, hello,

off to fort william for easter weekend, we are 4 snowboarders and amongst us is someone who really hates drag lifts-she is ok on the very slow basic ones, but the ones in the alps that have a tendancy to lift into the air anyone under 8 stone really aren't her bag!!

Could anyone tell me what the drags are like in scotland and which resort might be most appropriate. Thankyou

oh....and where to go for a good meal/beer/ dance?????? in fort william at night
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On nevis range there are I think 3 chairs, including braveheart over the back of the corries, so it's not all drags.

It's some years ago since we went to Nevis, but I don't remember the drags being particularly brutal, not like the ones I have experienced in France that lift you clear off the ground, so hopefully your pal wil be fine.

At Glencoe, there is a chair that accesses most of the lifts, and of course several drags, but it's not all drags! Glencoe is fab. We will hopefully be heading there Easter Monday.

Don't know about the other scottish resorts but someone will be along soon who will!

There's more about Nevis as a whole on the Trips thread, as a few of us are going up for easter.

D
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stick to Nevis, you can do laps on the Goose and Braveheart without ever going on a drag Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yup guys there's a few of heading up there and staying in Fort William over the weekend, all of us skiers I think though (but could be wrong) Toofy Grin
There's a ski test going on over the weekend but I think there might be some boards on test too - ask kiwi1 in the Ski Test thread if you want to know.

Thread about the test here

Thread in Trips here

As for drags, yeah Nevis is as good/bad as anywhere in Scotland so stick to the chairs I guess.

Hopefully see you up there snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We skied at Nevis yesterday and had fantastic conditions! An amazing day, with packed powder on every run.

Not so sure about Kitenski's advice (above)..... The Braveheart Chair is rarely open, so don't bank on it. And accessing the Braveheart Chair, if it is open, is (ahem...) not for the faint hearted (pardon the pun). There is so much snow in the Back Corries (where the chair is) that a massive (and I mean massive) cornice has built up at the lip of the corrie.

The photos on this link will give you the idea:-

http://www.nevisrange.co.uk/winter/mountain/backcorries.asp

Yesterday's conditions were not entirely as severe as those shown on the front page of the link (although that line was available for those interested!) but were nowhere near as "tame" as those on page 5 of the photo galley on the link.

Although the lift was not running yesterday the Back Corries were still open - so you could (literally) drop in, ski down then traverse out. Fantastic all the same - and a real off piste experience amidst stunning scenery! Because so few were tempted to drop in we had the place to ourselves.

The Goose Chair was running, but using that repeatedly would limit your options a bit. It serves 1000ft vertical, made up of (predominantly) 1 run, albeit with a couple of variations. Although the run itself was excellent - a steep, wide red.

All in all an incredible day's skiing in the best Scottish ski season in years (if not decades). Looks like skiing into April at this rate - here's hoping!

Rather than take my word for it, here's another link:-

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,755
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dizzymink wrote:
Hello, hello,

off to fort william for easter weekend, we are 4 snowboarders and amongst us is someone who really hates drag lifts-she is ok on the very slow basic ones, but the ones in the alps that have a tendancy to lift into the air anyone under 8 stone really aren't her bag!!

Could anyone tell me what the drags are like in scotland and which resort might be most appropriate. Thankyou

oh....and where to go for a good meal/beer/ dance?????? in fort william at night

Nevis Ranges quad chair provides uplift for blue runs only with the current conditions this will be the run under the chair, far west and the Allt Snechda. Often there is a off piste bit off the top of the chair dropping down onto far west which can be fun. The Bravehart chair ran last weekend and is due to run this weekend and serves the lower part of the corie dubh powder bowl but to get to it you need to either ride Warrens T bar (quite steep) or the goose T bar (1km long) followed by the summit button.

Glencoe's cliffy chair lift is a old one seater and servers the reds and blues on the middle mountain. It's not very long but the runs off it are more challenging than the ones off the quad chair at Nevis.

Cairngorm has the train off which you can access most of the runs on the Cas side of the mountain but the queues can build up for it. (West wall chair is not being used this season)

Futher east there is less snow and don't think these lifts are running but....

The lecht has a 3 seater chair which accesses blue runs only which are very gentle for the top half with one shortish steeper pitch lower down

Glenshee has a chair for the steep black Tiger but you can get to red and blue runs from it too. There is also a chair on Sunny side with easyer runs from it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dizzymink, Yes ditto what Deliaskis says, some of us are going to Nevis Range this weekend for hopefully amazing conditions.

John Crawford, brilliant photos, I've not been to Scotland before never mind to ski it and I'm really looking forward to going. If the conditions are as good or better as the ones you have had on Monday then I'll be more than happy. How great that its the best conditions in years!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy