Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Backpacks/rucksacks for skiing

Poster: A snowHead
In our small resort I don't need to carry a bag as DH is normally only 5 minutes away and the apartment just up three flights of stairs.

In April when I will (Hopefully get further from base Toofy Grin ) I will want to carry packed lunch, drink, camera, sunglasses/goggles, buff, possibly spare gloves, ski lock, chocolate and possibly other bits and bobs. I have a small standard rucksack that I could use. However, there is an awful lot of discussion on the forum about packs which sound more ski specific. Now, I'm not going to need to carry off piste kit I just need a small bag to carry stuff I'll need out and about in a day, but I've never skied in a rucksack before and just wondered if there anything special about the packs that are discussed in relation to how they sit on the back and where the straps run vs. then skiing in them or will any cheap and cheerful rucksack like I buy the kids for school do?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your existing bag will be more than adequate. You could always consider carrying less junk as well.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, don't worry about it. Most of the talk about ruckscacks is for more severe expeditions than you'll be doing for quite a while yet. Any general purpose smallish ruckscack will do. The only important thing is that it doesn't hang out from your back too far or flap about, so keep it small, or with something to reduce volume when you're not carrying a shedload of stuff around, and it will need a belly strap. I started skiing right from the start with a pack on, so I've never worried much about what's on my back - but then I normally carry too much around anyway.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, If possible I would suggest you don't carry a bag. It may upset your balance, and take care not to catch any straps in the chairlifts. A couple of large pockets should do or dump your stuff on a willing assistant. Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, my main reason for using a rucksack, depending on location/resort is to be able to walk to the lifts in trainers, carrying boots & skis, then ski boots on, & stick trainers in rucksack. Repeat/reverse on way home - works well if there's a longish walk from the accomodation to the lifts and no lockers at the lift

You do sometimes need to be a bit careful on those older style chairs with a shallow seat, and which come round fast as the seat back will whack your rucksack and push you forward potentially off the front of the seat... It's never happened to me, but it's the one thing I'd say to watch for.

I use an ancient Karrimor 'spike' 20L climbing sack but if you want to look look a ski-fashion-victim you'll need a £100 Dakine thing rolling eyes

BTW you won't need spare gloves in April surely - hardly need gloves at all... I skied without 'em recently for a few sunny days & got sunburnt hands! snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ever wondered what all the pockets were for in ski jackets?!!
On occasions where I need camera I use a bumbag........
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

On occasions where I need camera I use a bumbag........

That's novel. Does it take good pictures?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
oops best ease off on the rum
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
and for those who worry about straps and chairlifts, you can move the bum bit around so lessening the risk of being intimately attached to chair.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A bum bag is a great solution, I occasionally use one to carry a largish camera that I need handy, but they are VERY 80s and will spoil your otherwise super stylish look.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jbob, my Berghaus one is about five years old and hopefully not too 80's rolling eyes I did notice that Graham Bell uses the same one if that improves my image?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've got a bum bag. I guess another issue is in relation to falling. In an ideal situation you carry nothing in pockets and bags to fall on, but most folk carry something. If you carry stuff in pockets its in front of you use a pack it's on your back, if you fall (and I appreciate that it depends on which side you go down on) in terms of landing on it where is it safest to carry stuff - front or back?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum,

I agree with the others that you probably wouldn't need spare gloves in April, just the ones you're wearing will do, and you could probably (just about) manage using your pockets in your jacket to carry stuff, depending on how much space you have in your jacket of course.

However in my opinion its not as comfortable trying to carry stuff in your pockets and, carrying a camera in your jacket pocket means that if you fall down not only could the camera bust but I have known people to bruise their ribs and things from mobiles and cameras and stuff being in their jacket pockets when they've had a bit of a crash.

A rucksack is very handy and comfortable to wear as long as it doesn't have long straps that hang down everywhere and could be a hazard for you or other people when getting on or off a chairlift as the rest say.

Now, have a look at one of these from Berghaus-called the Berghaus Bladdered. Not mega expensive at £35 as there is no need to spend mega bucks although of course this will cost you more than just a general ladies rucksack from a department store. It will be just the job for what you want it for. You will be able to keep this one for years as its expandable as well.

http://www.fellandmountain.co.uk/product/bladdered/

I have got one meself but mine is black and grey in colour instead of blue and its just the right size (without expanding it either) and I can tell you from experience that I have carried in it a 500ml bottle of water, piste map, hat if not wearing it, neck buff, goggles, chocolate bar and a thin extra layer also at a push but of course you could expand it if you wanted to get more than that in there. I haven't carried a butty in mine but same applies as above!!

Therefore it would see you through the ski season whether it is April or January without it being too big and unnecessary. Also, it doesn't have a belly strap but it has a chest strap which stops the shoulder straps falling down and being annoying. A chest strap or a belly strap is a must IMO. What I liked about it was it fits snugly to the back and doesn't get in the way at all. I have only upgraded recently because I needed a bigger rucksack with a hydration unit for carrying the off piste stuff as I never would have got it in the Bladdered in a million years. Have kept the Bladdered though for the on piste days as its such a good bag to have. I'm hoping the reservoir in my new Camelbak (for the off piste gear) will fit into the Bladdered so I can use it on piste instead of carrying a bottle of water in it! I'm sure it probably will!

P.S The Bladdered bag is actually designed to be able to carry a hydration unit "bladder" so that in the future if you decide you would like to do this instead of carrying a bottle of water then you can do. In fact this version on the link above comes with a bladder actually although I don't know if it'll be a good one or not. (You can always get another one instead if need be anyway).

Hope that helps you
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't worry too much about falling. That's not because I don't, I certainly still do sometimes, but it's a risk you take. I carry my reading glasses in my top inside pocket on the basis that I am less likely to fall flat on my chest though anything's possible! I have my bag at the back or just to right side to ski and then round to the front on lifts.
snow conditions
BTW I've never had to remove my Berghaus Bladdered when getting on and off a chairlift as its quite "flat" on the back. No ones ever told me to take it off anyway! The bigger packs you should take off though for safety purposes.
ski holidays
Oops sorry yes the Berghaus bladdered does have a waist strap as well but it is "stowed away". I've never had to use it at all, I just used the chest strap so I forgot about the waist strap. And it is the Bladdered not the Bladdered Plus which is a bigger version that you won't need IMO.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 15-03-08 22:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
ps with regard to hydration, if with family, I make sure they are all well kitted out with camelbaks so I can top up, they don't seem to mind. Or if not, I take most of my water intake at the beginning (muscles like this idea) and end of the day, so don't need to carry vast quantities.
snow report
Lou,
No, you'd only get a 500ml bottle of water in the Bladdered anyway and certainly not a 1 litre bottle. 500 ml is not very much at all-I could guzzle that down in 2 drinks if I was thirsty!

Most people don't bother with hydration units/Camelbaks from what I've seen (certainly on piste anyway-far more common off piste for obvious reasons) and I used to just carry a little 500 ml bottle of water in my bag as I said. Then I got a Camelbak Zoid for free when I subscribed to Ski & Snowboard magazine and tried it on a trip in January this year-it was useless on space as could only fit a piste map and a pair of sunglasses in at the most, nowhere as much space as my Berghaus but I have to say it made me realise I wasn't drinking enough water.

Lou, glad your family are kitted out with Camelbaks, its probably a lot easier for you and them and very sensible too.
ski holidays
Any rucksack having capacity more significant than 3-4 pockets' worth will, when loaded, affect balance on a learner. And not in a good way.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 15-03-08 22:36; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5,
yep, kids happy to use them at the mo but then they don't have to worry about other essentials do they?! They have finally realised that more water = less tired = more runs Madeye-Smiley
snow report
comprex, You are quite right, for anyone learning to ski I would say that they just don't need to carry stuff like that and better not to have a bag at all or have anything bulky in the pockets at all which might distract them.

The rucksack I suggested as a possibility for Megamum is very light anyway, compact and fits snugly and squarely on the back (I could hardly feel it on my back IMO) and only fits stuff that you could carry in your ski jacket pockets anyway (depending on the size and number of the pockets etc), well aside from the extra layer but then thats down to personal choice whether people carry that anyway.

Megamum, what level skier are you anyway, sorry I don't know. Only you will know (or your instructor) whether you should be wearing anything on your back yet or not with regards to the point comprex has made about balance.

The bag I have suggested is for someone who is wants to wear a rucksack anyway and wants to know what will be a good one that is light, isn't too big or bulky and is very comfortable to wear, which carries all the basic bits you might need on your average on piste day.

BTW if anybody else has seen the Berghaus Bladdered on the link I posted as an example and would like to get one for themselves possibly-have a shop around as have seen Gaynors have got them for £24.50.

Anyway, upto you.

snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, What level of skier am I Laughing Laughing Not a silly question, but those that know me will know why I've put the laughing icons - Not brilliant is the answer - follow the link in the OP here and you will see !!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=37900&start=0
B.t.w. thanks everyone for the comments - I recognise the time it takes to pen long answers and I appreciate your time snowHead
snow report
Megamum, ah I see! No I hadn't any knowledge of your skiing when I was posting earlier and hadn't seen your video clip before.

I have seen your video now and I thought that you did very well actually (better than I was expecting from your laughing icons post!) so you mustn't put yourself down!

Its probably sensible not to carry too much stuff (either in pockets or on your back IMO) as the others say to avoid affecting your balance too much as I said and only you will know if it will or not, certainly nothing "weighty" anyway I would say for the time being. A neck buff, your goggles and a chocolate bar shouldn't weigh too much though and you could just about get that stuff in your pockets and get someone else to carry your water!

But soon enough you will be whizzing around the mountain and if you are still looking then for the ideal rucksack then the one I said about will suit you down to the ground!

Good luck with your skiing, perservere as it just gets better and better-trust me!

Hope you enjoy the EoSB, I won't be there as I have already made plans to ski elsewhere.

Happy skiing

snowHead
snow report
Megamum, I trotted round the pistes today in a very small 5 euro backpack thing from Decathlon, with an entire litre of water and 6 Mars Bars, and some spare sunscreen. And a camera. It kept the group going, in today's near tropical heat, and by the end weighed very little because we drank all the water before mid day. You absolutely definitely do not need spare gloves in April; I've never yet carried spare gloves anywhere, for that matter, though in cold weather I do have a pair of hand warming thingies in my pocket. A few bits of chewing gum are useful if you get a dry throat. I have taken an entire picnic for six people in my larger backpack. However, I always take any backpack off on all chairlifts; quite a few of the ones round here have signs on prohibiting backpacks. I don't find a modest backpack affects my balance unduly - I never think about it till I get to a lift. You can get too hung up about these things, you know! (and yes, you can also get hung up on a backpack on a chairlift; beware!)
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, Thanks very much for well intended helpfulness - I will bear your recommendation in mind for the future. I expect that you will fit in well round here - enthusiastic help and some-one that can find the positive comment in skiers of my ineptness Laughing will always be well received snowHead snowHead .
ski holidays
jbob wrote:
Megamum, If possible I would suggest you don't carry a bag. It may upset your balance, and take care not to catch any straps in the chairlifts. A couple of large pockets should do or dump your stuff on a willing assistant. Smile

This is bang on the money.

Beginners and intermediates should never carry bags or rucksacks. They upset the body's natural balance and steepen the learning-curve.

Much better to cram it into coat pockets.
latest report
Whitegold, I have hardly ever skied without a rucksac on my back, even during te first week I ever skied.

While it may have affected my balance, I think I was just so used to wearing it all the time that I compensated for any such effects without even noticing. But I don't think it has ever been heavy enough to make a sgnificant difference to balance, even at tehe start of the day, with 1-2L of water in it.

And it has always just been a standard cheap small (20L) one that we bought from Millets (IIRC) about 20 years ago for general use when out walking with the kids. It doubles up as my hand luggage on the plane (both summer and winter trips).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alex_heney, Whitegold, Yes I have to say that, like alex_heney, I've been wearing a small rucksack also pretty much from the outset too from memory just out of choice really and I didn't find it cocked up my balance at all but again its down to the individual isn't it.

I just preferred wearing one instead of putting stuff in my pockets (even now I only keep my purse, lift pass, a tissue and my lipsalve in my jacket pockets and thats it, the rest goes in my rucksack) and as I always preferred to take a drink of water with me, I didn't want a bottle of water in my pocket weighing me down on the one side so I preferred keep it in my bag on my back instead. Carrying a bottle of water to have a drink was the main reason for me getting a small rucksack to put it in.

The Berghaus one I used as mentioned in my posts above was brill for this purpose and is only a 3L (expands by another 4L if you need it) so its not as if its had a three piece suite in it or anything and it has been very light indeed, almost unnoticable even with water weighing it down, although I can clearly understand the point of view about it not being "ideal" for beginners to wear one just in case it does affect them or is a distraction! Everyone's different aren't they.

Conclusion-

If you want to wear a rucksack but you think its going to make you a bit dodgy or uncomfortable on skis-don't wear one.
If you want to wear a rucksack and you think you'll be ok with it on your back-wear one but make sure its not too big for what you need.

snowHead

By the way......Megamum, you're very welcome and thanks. I thought thats what we were here for anyway-to encourage folk in this brilliant sport we're in!

Very Happy
latest report
Megamum, I don't see the need for a back pack if you're not going off piste and they can be a bit of a pain, especially if you're not terribly experienced. I used to wear one until I realised it was a waste of effort. You can lunch in restaurants (or just carry a bar of something if you're a puritan, googles go on the helmet if you're not wearing them (or in the goggle pocket if you're the sort of crazy risk monkey who doesn't wear a helmet). A decent jacket with a few good size pockets will accomodate map, sun screen, silk balalclava, groovy tube thing for making a pirate's hat and embarrassing the kids with, even a small bottle of water.
snow report
If you do need to take your packed lunch with you (not everyone can afford to eat in mountain restos every day) , how about getting a cheap 'Camelback' from Decathlon?Then youhave a drink for lunchtime too. Should be room for a sarnie in there too. However, I don't ski with a backpack, everything goes in my pockets.Megamum do try to treat yourself to at least one mountain lunch though,all part of the experience.
latest report
and if you don't want to lunch out every day, take a bar of choc/cereal bar thing/sausage, whatever, which can slip into the pocket (outside pocket in the case of choc, obviously).
latest report
richmond wrote:
Megamum, I don't see the need for a back pack if you're not going off piste and they can be a bit of a pain, especially if you're not terribly experienced. I used to wear one until I realised it was a waste of effort. You can lunch in restaurants (or just carry a bar of something if you're a puritan, googles go on the helmet if you're not wearing them (or in the goggle pocket if you're the sort of crazy risk monkey who doesn't wear a helmet). A decent jacket with a few good size pockets will accomodate map, sun screen, silk balalclava, groovy tube thing for making a pirate's hat and embarrassing the kids with, even a small bottle of water.

You obviously don't need to drink as much as some of us do! snowHead

I doubt there has ever ben a day skiing when I have drunk less tan 1L of water, and it is usually closer to 2L. that is a bit much to carry in pockets.

Obviously, needs and preferences differ between people, and you may well not want or need one - I think most people don't.

But many other people do, and I don't think you shoud be so dismissive of that.
snow report
alex_heney, I like to drink a good deal of water, but I prefer to drop in to a cafe (a ltr bottle costs little more than a small bottle).

Dismissive? Moi? Pah, rubbish.
ski holidays
richmond, ah, finally, someone else who can drink more than 20cl at a go. Cool
ski holidays
i should probably have read the above discussion butttttt.... here goes-"belly"strap is essential as is the "chest" strap without with a bag would become more of a handicap so to speak. Bags aren't a great idea-90% of skiers have their weight too far back and a bag doesn't help this-unless it is completely essential (ie shovel/skins) i'd carry as much as i could in my jacket pockets!
latest report
Rossfra8 wrote:
here goes-"belly"strap is essential as is the "chest" strap without with a bag would become more of a handicap so to speak.

Might be a considerable handicap anyway if feminine clearances aren't, ah, observed.

Fortunately, the pectoral strap is not as critical.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, only place I've seen where they insisted on removal of rucksack before getting on chair was at Les Gets. They were quite forceful too, like preventing you from sliding through the barrier. Was an older non-detaching lift, and I *think* they were more concerned about punters becoming tethered and unable to get off at the other end.
snow report
I've heard the horror stories about falling on cameras etc in pockets. Personally I've always favoured putting anything hard like cameras, phone, multi-tool etc in leg pockets. I've kinda assumed that a nasty bruise on the thick muscles (I wish!) is preferable to a cracked rib.
snow report
Megamum, don't worry so much about things. I never carry a bag and quite happily stuff everything I need in pockets - if it doesn't fit I don't take it. If I'm thirsty I stop for a drink at a cafe, ditto hungry. Cameras & things with batteries should be carried inside jacket I thought cos of battery drainage if its too cold such as sat in rucksack?? I probably got that wrong though Madeye-Smiley . I can fit sunglasses, purse, walkie talkie, piste map, mobile phone, inner gloves, spare contacts, face mask, lippy salve, sun cream, tissues, camera in my pockets - and I don't have a baggy jacket.

If you wear a rucksack it can make you sit further forward on the chairlift, if also wearing a helmet watch out out when the over-enthusiastic fellow passenger brings down the safety bar too promptly.

andy, Canadian resorts I've been to mainly insist on removal of rucksack.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy