Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Been to Obergurgl this year?

Poster: A snowHead
We are there next Sunday for a week and it'll be our third year in a row. I am getting really excited about it too, 8 sleeps to go etc

The first year there we were nervous beginners and stuck to Obergurgl blue runs 5, 15 and 6 all the way down (the last steep section was my Nemesis that year). Last year with a few more kms in our legs on other trips, we ventured a bit further and did every blue in Obergurgl and Hochgurgl and a few of the really easy reds being 14, 16 and 17. The Nemesis became nothing to me last year as I spat on it every time I skied comfortably down it. But I did always note and empathise with people struggling down it with tired legs and even heard one of the locals say it should be red but you can't have a red as your main run into home base. (so put beginners and children under pressure??)

From our first trip to the one we are about to go on we have gone from about 6 days on skis to about 6-8 weeks and much more confident and ready to ski the whole area, save for the blacks and moguls that hold no interest for me.

Now I know there have been some big changes this season and was wondering if anyone could advise:

a) Has the Gaisberg chair been replaced by a bubble so everyone on the mountain doesnt have to tackle the nemesis section of 6 on their way home?

b) If in fact that bubble exists, does it keep going up further to Hohe Mut?

c) In terms of the reds, could you advise of any that are particularly nasty? And those that are nice?

d) I seem to remember looking up at red 7 and thinking it wasn't too hairy. Is that right?

e) Other than that blue 6 and over to the Wiesenlift we haven't yet skiied all the way down. Conditions are shaping up to be fantastic and coupled with our growing abilities I am interested in reds 3 and 25 all the way to the bottom. Are they tricky at all?

To clarify, I don't mind tricky, I actually don't mind steep any more. I just hate surprises in the way of memorable quirks!

All comments gratefully accepted.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haven't been this year, but my Daily Mail Where to Ski & Snowboard guide says:

"A two-stage gondola replaces the Gaisberg chair and the two chairs above it, the double Nederlift and the long single to Hohe Mut".

From the piste map it looks like a gondola with a big left turn at Gaisberg heading up to Hohe Mut. There are still two other lifts in the Gaisberg sector though, the chair from David's hut and one smaller one (not sure if it's a chair or not but I think it is) nearer to the Nederhut.

I don't know the piste numbers off the top of my head, but for venturing onto reds, I would say leave the one down to Obergurgl (to the Deutschmann hotel) until later in the week, it's a bit of a slog and had the least good conditions of the area when we were there, cos there were lots of scraped bits. Am not saying don't do it cos you won't be able to, more that it wasn't all that enjoyable when we were there, but it might be different for you guys!

The ones that I remember as being particularly nice, are the two from the top of Festkogel, both with chair access, and not too busy. We enjoyed a morning on just those runs one April, 4 inches of fresh snow and nobody to be seen snowHead ...Perfect!

Can't really remember specific reds in Hochgurgl, they all merge into one in my mind!

HTH and sorry I am rubbish with piste numbers but the area is small enough I think for the above to be meaningful!

D
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter, have a look at my resort report here - I make some comments on various pistes. I saw a report on the new gondola somewhere, and it fits in with what Deliaskis writes above. We enjoyed Obergurgl (I liked the cake buffet at the hotel, and HappyMouffe got her magic, pain-free Strolz boots there).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was there at half term for the first time. (can't say I was too impressed but that was partly due to the snow conditions)

I'll look at the piste map some time to answer your questions but there wasn't anything obscenely difficult. The steeper run down from the Mountain Star cafe could be a bit sketchy but had a big run-out so you can afford to pick up speed.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter Leuzzi, The bubble does go all the way to the Hohe Mutt and there's a fantastic new restaurant up there. They've created a new red down as part of that development, it's quite a dark red in places though, so you may want to wait until later in your holiday. I can't remember the numbers of any pistes, but there are no nasty surprises anywhere in the entire domain. Try the new bubble over in Hochgurgl too - heated seats!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Deliaskis, Fergus, Steve Sparks, thanks for your comments.

Steve Sparks, what makes that red down from Hohe Mutt "dark" then? I thought the restaurant was already there? So the bubble does exist and one doesnt have to ski all the way to the bottom?

Fergus, I read your questions before you went to Obergurgl and sorry to say didn't think you'd be overly impressed. Asa 17 year old who likes black runs I thought you were probably 10 years too late or 40 years too early for Obergurgl wink We like it as Bobo's makes our kids (4 and Cool want to ski and it all works for us that we know where everything is, how long to ski back to make end of kids sessions etc Having said that, we will skip it for a few years now.

Hoppo, Searching around, you helped me out last year as well! Thanks again!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Need a bit more info if possible. We are going on 5th April, adults, kids, mixed abilities. I have had my trips with the lads already so am looking forward to some nice sedate skiing with the family.

What I would like to know is when the others are in lessons where is the best place to go to find some more advanced skiing and what is it like.
Blacks,Moguls, steep Reds etc and is it worth going to Solden for a day and what is the best way of getting there?

Thanks in anticipation.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SP1R1T, I think you might have to resort to Hohe Mut and Hochgurgl for those sorts of things. Solden is accessible by a service bus which I imagine is fairly efficient (although I've not used this).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hoppo, Thanks, primaraly a family trip but would be nice to have access to some more difficult stuff when they're in lessons but doesn't really matter, I've heard the resory is very nice.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SP1R1T, the resort is relatively new, but it's quite classy on the scale of such things.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter Leuzzi, It was, but they demolished it and built a brand new one. Whilst it may lack some of the charm of the old one, it is quite spectacular and the private dining rooms are something else. You can join the bubble to descend at the intermediate just beneath the Nederhutte.

If you're worried about the descent from the Nederhutte, then you would find some of the tight steepish bends on the red down from the Hohe Mutte quite interesting.

SP1R1T, I think you could find plenty to occupy yourself over in Hochgurgl. Plenty of interesting in between piste and a bump run off the side of Wurmkurgl. The resort isn't renowned for challenging skiing, but there's always something in every resort if you look hard enough.

Hoppo, Relatively new???? What are you on? It ain't exactly Val Thorens, snow based activities there since 1920 something..... rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Steve Sparks, I got the feeling that most of it had been built since the 70's, only been there once mind you, so happy to be shown wrong. And like I said, it is relatively classy.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hohe Mut is one hell of a run as the name suggests - there's used to be only one way down from there and it was a bumby and chellenging mogul field. It's good to hear there is a red there now as well, that'd make a good run down to David's Huette.

In Hochgurgl the black from Top Mountain star down isn't really black, it's a red (you can miss out the steep bit if you really want to by going on the skiweg), and coming down that last thing at night, after the mountain had emptied to Hochgurgl was my most abiding memory of skiing there last year. God was in his heaven, Willhelmsbirne schnapps in my system, and with the sun setting over the Alps skiing down with friends was just one of those moments you thought the world was one hell of a place and life really isn't too bad at all. It's a lovely long run to the valley, and I loved it.

The only run that is at all hairy in Obergurgl is Hohe Mut, the rest with your experience you should be able to handle - have a bloody good time, I loved Obergurgl.

BTW - if you want challenge, off piste is good at Obergurgl (you need to be a bit creative at times though)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Peter,

I'll be in Obergurgl from the 26th until 05 April. The Hohe Mut changes are all new to me so can't comment on these. I'd imagine you'd be able to do all of the reds in Obergurgl and Hochgurgl. I can't recall numbers but there's a nice cruisey red right at the far end of the Hochgurgl skiing area. Not on the Obergurgl side on the other side as if you're heading down the valley. The only downside is that it's served by a longish T bar but no bumps on this. The run down to the Untergurgl gondola is also quite nice. There's also the nice Hochgurgl red that is served by that long old and slow chair lift, can't remember the number now, sorry! As the "stocky" Irishman says, you must have a go at the run down from the Top Mountain Star, it's not as steep as it used to be at the top and you can always head off down the blue at the side as an alternative. An instructor took a group of us first weekers down here a few years ago, it's one of those runs you have to do. There's also a nice red over close to St David's Hut in Obergurgl. I like this one but it has a few bumps on it but if you take your time, no problem. Be a pleasure if you want to meet up at some time.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatirishman, Thanks for the info fella.
ski holidays
Skiied the entire three mountains excepting 2 black runs due to bumps and the scrapy launch at Top Star (although entered a little lower). The restaurant at Hohhe Mutt is to die for. Yesterday I had spinach dumplings with gorgonzola that wouldn't allow me to to eat without "mmm"ing on every bite. The red run down is actually quite good and not at all stiff. Reds 3 and 25 all the way down into town were belters.

Amazing conditions all week, with fresh snow daily and then sunshine. I have serious panda face and unfortunately badly bruised/sprained 5 ribs when I hit a ridge on a red run in Obergurgl and in a second couldnt make my mind up to stop, jump or turn at top speed and ended up doing a combination of all three and landing face first on top of the mobile strat5egically sat in my inside breast pocket. Alas that run was known as the Nokia Red for the rest of the week.

Only 8 months until I go skiing again......
snow conditions
Peter Leuzzi, glad to hear you had a fab time, and it sounds like you and yours didn't freeze to death either, so bonus really!

Laughing at the Nokia Red, my H had a fall in Zell the other week, and landed on the handle of his pole, right in his ribcage. It produced a rather round bruise, which he said hurt like a shotgun wound (as is he would know...). Bizarrely it also hurt on his back in the same spot, I am still asking him every few days how his 'entry' and 'exit' wounds are coming along!

8 months and counting here too!!

D
latest report
Deliaskis, I sympathise with Mr Deliaskis. Man-pain is a very serious thing wink

I presume you are referring to my other post concerned about the kids freezing. All was fine. If anything there was more trouble with them feeling too hot when they were getting ready. Oh, and the 6 hour delay caused by Innsbruck airport being closed while we were approaching in the air and instead being diverted to Munich. Result - sit and wait in the airport while the coach at Innsbruck drove to us 3 hours away and then a 3.5 hour transfer to arrive at 1am instead of 730pm. Praise the good Lord for Nintendo DS.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy