Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Changes to SkiClub offpiste rules

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know this is a thread that's been around for a while, but it's a very important one and worth re-visiting I think.
There's been much discussion this season about the Ski Club of GB resolution to restrict the scale of the reps' off-piste activities.
Reading the various posts here and elsewhere, and speaking to members on the ground, it's clear that many are upset at the diminution of their Club-related benefits, and also about the way the resolution was implemented, seeing it as a knee-jerk reaction to the sad death of a member that occurred whilst skiing with a rep last year.
It's good that people are discussing the issue, but endless debate could result in an inertia that would allow this ruling to change the face of the Club irrevocably, and for the worse.
Whether it is performed on or off-piste, skiing is and always will be a risk sport. It is one thing to be concerned about minimising foolhardy behaviour or dangerous activity by means of proper training of reps, but once an irrational fear of litigation takes hold, or the health & safety aspects become over-rigorously applied, there is a very real risk that this is the thin end of a wedge which, if not halted, will emasculate the Club, with further restrictions being imposed over time until it becomes a shadow of its former self, a dining club of sorts whose infrequent bursts of on-piste skiing are a means only to move between mountain restaurants for the next lengthy pit-stop!
Surely what's needed is for someone to feel strongly enough to do something about it. I'm one of a number of members who are proposing the formation of a lobby group whose aim is to return the decision and discretion of where and when to ski to the individual reps, a system which has always served perfectly well. The Club has always been a major catalyst for the enjoyment of our sport, and we need to put it back on track. After all, it is OUR Club, and should listen to us, its members.
To do this we need to rally support. We need the support of ordinary members who feel disenfranchised by this decision, and are willing to vote for restitution of the status quo. If you're a Ski Club member and can lend your vote, or simply want to hear more before, then please reply to this thread or email me at snowheadsATshortswing.co.uk (Replace the AT with @ of course)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not a member but I think it is a liabilty decision and the club can't afford to get it wrong.
They may lose a few members over this but it is the lesser of two evils, IMV...the other being caught up in a huge lawsuit for unqualified 'guiding'.

Just my tuppence worth, and as I am not a member not my concern and you can dismiss this view as irrelevant. However, I think, for off-piste we should all be thinking about qualified guides...

They offer that with Freshtracks don't they..?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT, Totally agree!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
shortswing, I can't see this is any business of snowheads Club members have no doubt already voiced their opinions to the Club. I see there is a thread in the Club forum running on this matter - and that is the best place for it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Ski Club has been going for over 100 years and has an accident record better that most ski schools, and the reps are well trained for the terrain they take skiers to. This does not include glaciers, where a mountain guide must be used, or areas where ropes etc may be needed. I am not a rep myself, but believe the system, which enables members to ski "real" terrain (after all pistes are a relatively recent innovation) is the best we could have. It must always be up to the individual skier to be honest about their ability or otherwise, and the reps do not have the financial incentive to take all comers as the guides do, so they can shed skiers who are not up to it. This may seem tough, but is in the best interests of all concerned that skiers are only taken on the groups for which they are of suitable standard.

I say if it works don't fix it, and if it has worked for 100 years don't even think of fixing it! (governments please take note)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
launcelyn, welcome to snowHeads.

Do you know what the reps training covers for them to be able to lead groups off piste?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy